Could Driverless Cars Help America Achieve Energy Independence?

Discussion in 'General' started by JohnM, Sep 14, 2014.

1. JohnM

JohnM Well-Known Member

2. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

They possibly could. I myself enjoy driving too much to submit to a driverless car unless I choose to go drinking.

3. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I enjoy driving my self as well. Only time I'd submit to a driverless car is when I'm on long roadtrips alone, I could sleep in the backseat.

4. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I'd put more faith in a cab with a rude, unwashed and aggressive driver than any driverless car. But it's also quite nice to sleep when your nice-smelling , careful driving girlfriend is behind the wheel.

5. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

I used to love driving. I still do on rare occasions when the circumstances are right. But mostly I just treat it as something that I have to do to get where I want to go. It's become too much of a gauntlet of negligent egotists, a significant fraction of whom would just assume run you off the road and into the ditch for their own convenience. (Been there, very nearly experienced that.) You know what would fix that? Driverless cars. At least if it fails I get to die reading a decent book or something. (And even then I'm mostly kidding...we have the technology.)

6. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Soon after driverless cars are required, those "negligent egotists" will be able to buy "assertive performance chips" or flash updates to modify their car's on-road behaviour, just as they can already buy them to defeat legal OE engine-management software.