T-Mobile 7-Day Test Drive w/ the iPhone 5S

Discussion in 'Smartphones and GPS Navigation' started by xcel, Sep 12, 2014.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

Received the T-Mobile iPhone 5s test drive phone a few hours ago.

[​IMG]
    iPhone 5s as a Wi-Fi Hot Spot for the new Toshiba C55-B5200 Laptop​

First thing is setup the phone…

First off, Apple’s Login ID and Password requirements are ridiculous. Insert password every time you use the App store? Even if it’s a free app like Pandora and Speedtest.net??? Second, created a new AppleID and password. Spent an hour trying to get them to work. Thirdly, how in the hell does anyone get anything done on this 3.5”??? inch screened phone. I do not care how great the display is, everything is micro sized!!!

Ok, enough of the rants.

[​IMG]
    Speedtest - T-Mobile at home - iPhone 5s Wi-Fi tethered to laptop.​

The connection is solid albeit about 2/3 to half the speed of Verizon at my home per Speedtest. Wi-Fi Hotspot is more robust. With Verizon, about every 30-minutes to two hours I had to reset the Wi-Fi Hot-Spot as it would disconnect using Verizon’s Wi-Fi Hot Spot app. The Apple Wi-Fi Hotspot app has been in one continuous loop for over two hours and no glitches so far. Unlimited Pandora rocks of course. ;)

Am heading from the IL/WI border to Chicago’s Midway and back in the 2015 Sonata Limited tonight to pick up my son and his family. Wish I could just use my laptop and Wi-Fi tether everything but not possible in the car. Will Pair the iPhone and use the hell out of it within to test its capability into downtown, the southwestern parts of the city and back again.

2015 Hyundai Sonata Ltd.

[​IMG]

Life is good. :)

Wayne

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  2. xcel

Hi All:

Ran through 2.5 GB of the 3 GB allotted in just one day. 2 to 4 dots (bars) of signal strength across the entire northeastern IL region from the IL/WI border to downtown. Performed a Speedtest in the cell phone lot of Midway and it came in at 25 Mbps down and 11 up. That is fast!

[​IMG]

Mobile knows when you tether as the 2.5 GB of 3 GB Mobile Hotspot allotment message that popped up earlier this afternoon is what reminded me.

Not sure if this 7-day has a 5GB or 10 GB allotment before it throttles to 2G but I should find out tomorrow or Sunday as I have chewed though 4.05 GBs as I type. 2.6 GBs via Hotspot use.

Snapped a few pics with the iPhone 5s tonight in the rain. If there is one thing that Apple does right, they can get some darn decent pics from a smartphone. Not bad even in the rain...

2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited in the rain

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyone know how to take a screenshot on an iPhone before I look it up online?

Wayne

3. xcel

Hi All:

Being an apple noob, maybe I am just hung up in the 5s being different but this phone kind of sucks big time.

In the 15 Sonata, I paired the 5s and received three calls and made one. None would go through saying In-private mode or something like that? Might be because I was in vibrate mode??? The Pandora app in Blue Link and/or Pandora App on the phone got confused when a call came in and would stop and not start again until I rebooted the phone.

Last night I powered it down but not off over night to test its battery usage. Apple has power management down as it appears to have only dropped one percent which is really good for a powered up but sleeping phone.

To initiate the Wi-Fi Hot Spot, it forgets it is on and the laptop does not see it. Cycle the Hotspot switch and a minute later it sees it and connects. Now I am typing through it but on the 5s itself, Safari cannot load pages and Pandora is locked up. All the while I am using it as a Hotspot?

I installed a battery monitor app and it just popped up a message saying RAM usage just went over 80 percent, Accelerate. Accelerate what???

The Motorola RAZR MAXX HD never acted so goofy and I ran the hell out of that for over a year and a half!

Time to reboot the little 5s…

Wayne

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  4. CmaxVsPrius

CmaxVsPrius Moderator

I write apps for both Apple and Droids. I prefer to use the iPhone, and I have a 5s. You know making a change has initial frustrations. I use the iPhone paired in my car, even when the phone is locked and in silent mode. If you got one to keep you would get it figured out with less trouble. I've paired and used mine in rentals easily.

The current model, well as of next week, has the bigger screen sizes 4.7 and 5.5 inch.

All in all, both Apple and Droid will work about the same. For me, I find the iOS Apple apps to be more fun to use. Yes, I said fun.

And wow Wayne, you are quite the cellular data consumer. 2.5gb in a day. But then again, I've seen you beating your phones before.

5. xcel

Hi Roger:

Thanks for your iPhone experiences!

I am watching the upcoming smartphones and plans pretty closely. The upcoming iPhone 6 with the 4.7" display is really really pricey at $649, $749 and $849 for the 16, 64 GB and 128 GB models respectively.

The 16 GB iPhone 6 Plus (5.5" screen) retails at $749, $849, and $949 for the 16 GB, 64 GB and 128 GB models respectively.

I have seen 32 GB Galaxy Note 3s with the 5.7" screen for $350 to $400 outright (locked to a carrier and unlocked) every few weeks but have not pulled the trigger. Yet.

Galaxy Note 4s' with a few updates over the 3 should arrive for $500 or so outright after 2 or 3 months? Maybe?

The OnePlus One is a very interesting new company in the Android universe. The 16 GB version is $299 outright (64 GB at $349) with 5.5" screen, 2.5 GHz quad core, 3 GB DDR3, 13 MP Sony rear/5 MP front camera, and a 3,100 mAh battery. This Chinese OnePlus One is still having growing pains as seen in their forums but the product appears to be a really solid unlocked all-bands and 4G LTE offering (T-Mobile and AT&T only) according to one member that owns one.

Not sure how Apple can keep people enamored at the prices they charge but at least they finally have a screen size that matches the Android community's best and makes work doable. This 4" 5s is making me wish for glasses. :)

Wayne

6. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Well-Known Member

Screen shot, press home button and power button same time
    How do you post pictures here ?

7. Airbalancer

Our prices in Canada are about $100 more :mad:

I only know a couple of people who do not have iPhones

8. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

I find apple too restrictive and nosey as well. I like my Nexus5! H

9. xcel

Hi Airbalancer:

Thanks for the iPhone screenshot keys/combination. Worked like a charm.

The little iPhone is pretty robust when it comes to power use. I am running 4 browsers in loops on the iPhones Safari browser, Pandora, and tethered. Only now am I seeing the USB charging not keeping up. Getting a little warm too. ;)

[​IMG]

Yesterday it took just under two hours to run from Full to shut down with just the Wi-Fi Hotspot operating and not plugged in. Not to good on that test but probably not a good thing to do other than test it.

Wayne

10. xcel

Hi Harold:

Waiting patiently for the Nexus 6/X too! And its sister the Moto-X Gen 2. Wish/hope Google will place a real battery (3,000 mAh at least) in the 6/X. Moto-X Gen 2 with the 2,300 is a slacker compared to its rivals although it "may" be using a new chemistry that offers big battery life from the smaller form factor and cap.

Would be happy with a $179 Moto G with the 400 chip, 1 GB of RAM, 5" display, and 2,070 mAh small battery if it had an LTE antenna. :(

Wayne

11. Airbalancer

We will be getting iPhone 6,
    We already have iPhone 4, we have iPads, all of our grandkids have istuff, so it easy to FaceTime them :p

Also I do not want learn another operating system

Sometimes if you want the best you have to pay :rolleyes:

12. xcel

Hi Airbalancer:

The Motorola RAZR MAXX HD probably had probably over 100 GBs passed through it and never hiccuped so am considering the Google Nexus or Motorola X Gen 2 if the price is right. Or a Note 3. ;)

Have to pass up on the OnePlus One as there are horror stories up and down the line.

Wayne

13. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Super Moderator

I have a note 3 and it rocks. Makes a great GPS, the screen is bigger than most GPS. Plus with multi window you can have 2 windows open on the screen, which means I can have Google Maps and Waze open and see both of them. My phone is rooted so I can tether w/o needing to pay for it.

14. xcel

Hi Nathan:

Still waiting for an unlocked $350 to $400 deal on the Note 3 with all of the GSM bands.

Wayne

15. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Super Moderator

You'll find it as soon as the Note 4 comes out.

16. xcel

Hi All:

Took the iPhone 5s on the calibration drive to Milwaukee and back to IL on I-94 last night performed pretty well.

It held a 4G or LTE data signal through Kenosha County (furthest southwestern county in WI) so no problem there. Once I crossed into Racine County on I-94, T-Mobile went to Edge (2G) and stayed there until I reached the Milwaukee County line where it went back to 4G and LTE little later.

I made calls to my other minute limited dumbphone in the 2G area and it connected fine.

Here is where it rocked. Inside my parents’ home this morning I am seeing a sold LTE signal. Did a speed test and it rocked!

[​IMG]

Wayne