Smartphones and Plans...

Discussion in 'Smartphones and GPS Navigation' started by xcel, Sep 4, 2014.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

Have a ton of sale reports to complete over the weekend but need to get this smartphone/plan thing knocked out.

Plans

Verizon is great on the road and I need that but their pricing is holding while other providers are allowing much more realistic back door deals. "Apparently"?

In a nutshell, Verizon is prohibitive compared to the T-Mobile deals from the Business Account resellers. 5 GB and unlimited talk/text for $50 or unlimited everything for $60. Tax is only $3.00 a month no matter where you live!!! Supposedly some coupon deals to knock off another $5.00 per phone off the above prices too but may not be available currently

Harbor Mobile

Coverage at my house in IL is supposedly “Excellent” 4G LTE but we have heard that before. Have to look up the new house in San Diego. Verizon is useless at the new San Diego address. 1 to 2 bars of signal with 1X and 3G data sometimes.

If you are not you locked into contract, this could be is a super deal if the coverage is as good as the T-Mobile map shows??? A 16 GB Nexus 5 ($315 + free shipping) and you could have a smartphone w/ unlimited talk, text, and 1 GB + Wi-Fi Hotspot for less than paying Verizon for the dumb phone with limited minutes. If there is coverage at your home?

Have to buy a phone but I have to do that with any of them anyway?

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (~ $600) or Galaxy S5 (~ $700) are great but really expensive. I can probably get by with a lesser quality and non-upgradeable Google Nexus 5 for about half the price ($315 to $399 for the 32 GB version). Nexus 5 battery life is near the bottom while the Samsung smartphones are near the top.

Expect a $100 drop when the Nexus 6 is released in another month.

Google Nexus 5

Purchasers of the Nexus 5 lineup off of the Google Play Store receive a one year replacement guarantee. New refurb shipped to your home before you ship your cracked screen one back in the same package.

Battery life of the Nexus 5 lineup is suspect and non-replaceable battery/non-upgradeable memory may limit its utility to some.

Nexus 6 will include a 5.2-inch display with 2560 x 1440 display and a much rumored 5.9" phablet display following up, a 2.7GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 processor, 3GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, 12-MP rear camera, 2-MP front-facing camera, and Android L inside.

Samsung Note 4 with the 5.7" display receives only minor updates over the 3 but Samsung hinted that the battery life will improve by as much as 40% with only another 20 mAh battery size increase.

I need a phone like right now however. Anyone have any thoughts?

Wayne

2. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

WOW that is a great price. Can you give me the contact info. In my area the taxes are almost 50% they have added a lot of local and 911 taxes that are just crazy.

3. RichXKU

RichXKU Well-Known Member

Phone is really a personal choice, they're all so capable now. Have you considered the LG G3? That one just came out and may be comparable

As for coverage. Take a look at:

RootMetrics http://www.rootmetrics.com/us
    and Sensorly http://www.sensorly.com/

independent reports and customer generated coverage.

4. DaveJ

DaveJ Well-Known Member

If price is real important and Sprint network works for you, have you explored Republic Wireless?
    I don't think you can do it fast, as you need to order phone and may take a week or two to get,so if you need it tomorrow, probably will not work.

5. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Check out CNET reviews (via app of course) if you don't already. Good place to
    get up-to-date smartphone info on what's out there or about to be.

Cheers,
    Bill

6. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I have republic, and it's great for my purposes. I think it might have problems doing what Wayne wants.

1. It's not truly unlimited. You get throttled after 5 gb. First month you pass 5gb is free, then the 2nd month you pass 5 gb you get throttled.
    2. No tethering. You can't use it as a wireless hotspot.

7. xcel

Hi Jud:

Check the Harbor Mobile link above. For a phone capable of running on the AT&T or T-Mobile network, this plan is Da Bomb.

Rich, as expected, Verizon is a nationwide stalwart. Just not an affordable stalwart. :( I will regret not having them for some of the drives in particular whereas stationary in Northern IL and Southern Calif. is where a plan will have to work or not 95% of the time.

Dave, looked at Republic as well. It did not offer the same features that Andrew mentioned. A desperate need in my case. The only drawback is T-Mobile coverage vs. Verizon. :(

Wayne

8. RichXKU

RichXKU Well-Known Member

Cricket is now AT&T, their pre paid plans might work for you, and you'll be on a better network than sprint or t-mo.

9. xcel

Hi Rich:

Cricket is between $15 and $20 more/month when you add a Wi-Fi Hot Spot. :(

Harbor - $50 for 5 GB - throttled above that - unlimited talk/text and Wi-Fi Hot Spot.

Cricket - $55 or $60 for 5 GB - throttled above that - unlimited talk/text + $10 for Wi-Fi Hot Spot.

As of this minute, I am on a 250 min/month talk plan on a dumbphone until I have to decide. 250 minutes does not go very far.

With the unlocked Samsung Galaxy Note 4 announced/revealed yesterday in Europe and availability in October, I am hoping the unlocked AT&T/T-Mobile capable 64 GB Note 3 will come down to a more reasonable $400 to $450 vs. $570 right now. Rumored Nexus-X with the 5.9" screen is probably to far away with a possible release in November or December if not later? Halloween for the Nexus-X 5.2" screen. Thinking of a Nexus5 for < $300 in a week or two (hopefully?) and move to the Phablet and handing the 5" screen 16 GB Nexus to my mom. She's off contract and paying almost $40 for a dumbphone with no text through Verizon now. That is a rip.

Wayne

10. PaleMelanesian

For just a phone, Republic is a great deal. You can get the Moto G for $150 or Moto X for 299. Then it's $10/mo for unlimited talk/text. Data is only on a wifi connection, but it's better than a dumbphone and a much better price.

You can change it up to 25/mo for 3g data and 40/mo for 4g data.

11. xcel

Hi Andrew:

Saw a few posts saying the same in the deal forums. Wish they did not have to do this Wi-Fi/Sprint Cell mod to their phones however.

Always wondered how the company ties into Wi-Fi when most are secured. When was the last time any of us have attached to an unsecured signal without at least acknowledging the TOS? What is your experience?

Republic Wireless too good to be true?

Wayne

12. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Well-Known Member

I am waiting for iPhone 6, our plans in Canada suck
    Why iPhone?
    Our granddaughters 7 & 8 have iPads and iPod touches and they will FaceTime us, the is worth the extra cost :D

13. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Thank you for mentioning them! I have an immortal Samsung flipphone and a Galaxy Player. I'd like to merge to a smartphone so I can have one device, but I really don't want cellular data.

14. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

Republic has worked well for me and my wife except for the normal issues with Sprint Network coverage. I signed up due to the weak cell coverage at my residence and some bad customer service experiences with my previous provider. No trouble hooking into my home Wifi or the usual Wifi setups in motels in the IL/IA area. It looks for wifi networks to sign into just like my laptop does. I'd tell you more, but I've stopped thinking about how it works, so I'd probably leave out something important.:)

15. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

re: agreeing to terms of service for access to wifi

There's an app for that. :) I use one called wifi web login. It works fine
    for auto-connecting/reconnecting to my workplace wifi which boots
    connections every hour or so.

Cheers,
    Bill

16. xcel

Hi Bill:

:)

There is a T-Mobile store within a mile of my parents and my home in IL so I am going to try and convince each of them to allow me to borrow a phone for 30-minutes to see how it works in both homes. Sure hope they are worth a damn as I need tether/Wi-Fit Hot Spot on a decent speed network at home.

Over the road I am expecting to lose data but hopefully not voice along most Interstates in the U.S.

Motorola is releasing their new phones (non-LTE second gen G three days ago) and feature full X is imminent. Google's Nexus X or 6 with hopefully a larger battery is imminent. Galaxy Note 4 was revealed, and probably everybody else as they ready for Christmas. Pricing on the mid-range unlocked GSM phones look good already. By Black Friday, the real steals on the aging Premium models "should" show up. Galaxy Note 3 or S5 for $350 and $400 or less respectively maybe? Hopeful anyway?

Would love to see everyone follow Google's Nexus lead with both CDMA and GSM antennae for LTE on most any network in their models. And the new Nexus' include Verizon's Band 13 forcing Big Red to allow the Nexus onto their network if a future plan deal ever appears.

Wayne

17. PaleMelanesian

Republic looks for wifi to sign on to, and if they have TOS you do have to click on it. It remembers it after that and just auto-connects. It's seamless moving from work wifi to commuting cell signal to home wifi after I once logged in to them.

Our local Lowe's has wifi. I walk in, swipe down to open the WIFI properties window, click on the "Lowes - needs validation" link, click OK, and I'm online. Hotels are similar to signing on a laptop, where you have to open a browser window and click OK.

The heavy preference for wifi is one way they make the cost so low - less load on the cell network.

Last month we did a cross-country road trip, from Texas to North Carolina to Ohio and back. It worked just great as a GPS on the Sprint network. If there is no Sprint signal, it roams onto Verizon.

I have the Moto X and my sister has the Moto G. I wish the G was out when I got mine. I really can't tell the difference when using either one, and I could have saved $150.

18. PaleMelanesian

You can pay $25 a month and just use your phone. Or you can pay $10 a month and deal with signing on at various locations. It's a minor hassle, but for that price... :D

It's not a plan for Wayne, but for me it's perfect.

19. xcel

Hi Andrew:

Good point!

Wayne

20. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

i pay as i go .i text more than call. i also down loaded the magicjack app from playstore and use this when wifi is available. magicjack call quality has really improved. H