Yet another newbie arriving

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by christian_piper, Jun 13, 2007.

1. christian_piper

christian_piper New Member

Hey all! i have been lurking for a bit, and decided to join. The place looks great!

My car is a bit of a gas hog.. But everything else about her is great. So I shall try and improve the MPG! ;)

Its a 2007 subaru impreza outback sport- 5 speed manual - 22/28 EPA. Around town I had been getting 22, while NEW to stickshift, and thus wasting gas.. Tires near max. My tanks have been getting better, into the high 23's around town. Now that I have my liscense, I have been driving myself, and able to start shutting off the engine, using no AC, driving slower, etc.

We just took her on a long trip, with my parents, on nearly all 70 mph speedlimit 2 lane highway.. Driving over the speedlimit. With AC. Basically, no hypermiling at all. Still got 28.3 mpg tanks though! And I didnt have to pay for those either :p

So here I am, looking to go way past the EPA I am already slightly exceeding. The info here is GREAT!

(And I AM looking into buying a scangauge)

2. Himmitch

Himmitch Well-Known Member

Welcome to cleanmpg! Every car can get better mileage no matter what it is. I'm sure over time you will be surprised in what you can get out of it.

3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Christian:

___I saw a few additions of yours in Chat history last night. Welcome to CleanMPG and take your time as there is no rush. We have had a few new members going right after the big numbers only to show disappointing results and in a somewaht dangerous manner. I am sure you will come up to speed shortly but please, learn as much as you can, practice what you have learned on an empty country road so you know what to expect and start placing each technique in practice one at a time on your daily commute after they are second nature. Pressing up your tires to a minimum of max sidewall is a great start for everyone so enjoy that freebie. All of us here will help wherever and whenever we can.

___Good Luck and again welcome to CleanMPG!

___Wayne

4. tarabell

tarabell Well-Known Member

First thing to remember is no more breaking speed limits. Considering you're a new driver, you should not be shutting off the engine or speeding until you know your car and your abilities behind the wheel better. Give yourself some time to do this, and then try some of the techniques here. Let’s not risk your life, your parents’ generosity and your license all at once. ;)

Staying a good margin under the limit won't seem much fun at first, but it will as you see what kind of tanks you get. Hypermiling can be one of the most challenging yet safest games you can do with your car. Also you have a 5-speed—that definitely gives you a leg up on the other gas hogs. Take things easy and enjoy.