2007 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan/5-Dr. Hatchback

Discussion in 'New Automobile Specifications' started by xcel, Apr 9, 2006.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

2007 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan/5-Dr. Hatchback

[​IMG]

Pricing:

VL 5-door $9,995.00
    LS $12,515/LS $12,365.00
    LT $14,015
    Destination $565

Cruise Control & Keyless Entry $425
    4 Wheel ABS $400
    Engine block heater $50
    4-speed automatic $850
    Power Windows $295
    AM/FM stereo with CD and MP3 playback $325
    Premium 6-speaker system $125
    Fog lamps $110
    SPOILER $225
    5-spoke aluminum wheels $375

Engineering:

Engine Type: In-Line 4-Cylinder
    Engine Block/Cylinder Head: Cast-iron/Cast-aluminum
    Displacement (cc): 1598
    Horsepower @ rpm: 103 @ 5,800
    Torque (lb.-ft. @ rpm): 107 @ 3,600
    Redline (rpm): 6500
    Bore and Stroke (in): 3.11 x 3.21
    Compression Ratio: 9.5
    Valvetrain: 16 valve - DOHC
    Multi-Point Fuel Injection
    Front-Wheel Drive
    CARB Emissions Rating: ULEV-2
    Federal Emissions: Tier II/Bin5
    Direct Ignition System

Transmissions:

Gear Ratios

5-Speed Manual Transmission

1st: 3.545 2nd: 1.952 3rd: 1.276 4th: 0.971 5th: 0.763 Final Drive: 3.944
    Reverse: 3.333

Body/Suspension/Chassis:

Unit-Body Construction
    MacPherson Strut Front Suspension
    Torsion beam rear suspension semi-independent with coil springs
    Stabilizer Bar (mm., front): 18 mm
    Power-Assisted Rack-and-Pinion Steering
    Steering Wheel Turns, Lock-to-Lock: 3.0
    Steering Ratio: 16:1
    Turning Diameter, Curb-to-Curb (ft.): 32 ft.
    Power-Assisted Ventilated Front Disc/Rear Drum Brakes (in.): 10.1/7.9
    Wheels: All-Season Tires: 185/55-60 R14
    Compact Spare Tire

[​IMG]

Interior Measurements:

Headroom (in., front/rear): 39.3/37.6
    Legroom (in., front/rear): 41.2/35.3
    Shoulder Room (in., front/rear): 53.6/52.7
    Hiproom (in., front/rear): 51.6/52.8
    Cargo Volume (cu. ft.): 12.4//7.1 - w/Seats folded: 42.0
    Passenger Volume (cu. ft.): 91.0
    Seating Capacity: 5

Exterior Measurements:

Wheelbase (in.): 97.6
    Length (in.): 169.7/152.7
    Height (in.): 58.9/58.8
    Width (in.): 65.7
    Track (in., front/rear): 57.1/55.5
    Curb Weight (lbs.): 2,376//2,354

EPA Mileage Estimates/Capacities:

5-Speed Manual (City/Highway): 27/37
    5-speed Auto (City/Highway): 26/34
    Crankcase (qt.): 4
    Coolant System (gal.): 6.2
    Fuel (gal.): 11.0
    Required Fuel: Regular Unleaded

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  2. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

Re: 2006 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan/5-Dr. Hatchback

ok the price is right on this one (priced thousands less than the Fit) but i guess reliability is a concern and for a car programmed for more torque than horse maybe that's to our hypermiling benifits?

Also crash tests ratings on previous models were ugly...at least it has more legroom lol! Wow I didn't realize the aveo had better emissions than the Fit too. (unless LEV2 > ULEV2?) And the redesigned interior is nice, c'mon GM show us what Americans can do, don't let the japanese take all your glory.

3. xcel

Hi Phil:

___I always thought the Aveo was kind of cute in red with the 5-spoke alloys but only this year did the crash test (5 *’s frontal) and emissions ratings (ULEV-2 now) improve mightily. Why they use that old POS cast iron block when everyone else is aluminum all around as well as being inefficient is beyond me? GM had an opportunity to do same damage in the B-Class segment early on but they took the cheapest route available and hampered the Aveo with a POS Daewoo 1.6 that isn’t worth the price of admission. This thing too should be at least a 45 mpg car given it receives the same highway as my Accord at 1.5 X’s the weight, maybe 1.5 X’s the frontal area, and 1.5’s the HP and torque. These B-Class sub’s just don’t add up when compared to their larger siblings … Accord and Civic vs. Fit, Corolla vs. Yaris, everything vs. the Aveo :( This is really too bad because America needs an inexpensive B-Class sized sub that has good emissions, receives decent FE, and has decent utility with the 5-Dr. hatches. Right now, I just don’t see it from any of the manufacturers other then their very expensive hybrid offerings.

___For 2007, GM will change the fascia and exterior a tad but left the same POS 1.6 with the same FE ratings they were using previously in her (04 – 06). Truly sad given what has happened to fuel prices over the last 3 years :(

___Good Luck

___Wayne

4. AZBrandon

AZBrandon Guest

I'm a little baffled by the engine choice as well. If you look elsewhere in GM's lineup, you'll see the Cobolt, with GM's excellent Ecotec 2.2 I4 develops 145 hp and achieves 25/34 in the 5-speed version. That's just 1mpg less on each cycle for a much larger, more powerful engine in a slightly heavier car. I realize the Ecotec is undoubtedly a more expensive engine than that iron piece of crap they used, but if you size down the Ecotec to just 72% of it's displacement in the Cobolt, you'd have a 1.6 liter. If you really wanted to cut costs, you could do this just by shortening the stroke; that way you could use the same pistons and cylinder head to cut development costs.

So anyway, if the Ecotec 2.2 gets 25/34 in the Cobolt, what would a 105hp (72% of 145) 1.6 liter version be worth in the Aveo? I wouldn't at all be surprised if it at least managed 30/38 or so with such an engine.

We can bag on the Fit all day long for it's 33/38 rating, but that is the sport engine in Japan and was never designed for fuel economy. Furthermore, it's now in it's 5th year of production! This Aveo is freshly redesigned, which means if Honda is planning a greatly improved engine for the 2008 Fit, such as a sized down version of the Civic's R18 engine, they might be looking at 35/42, or if they finally get on the direct injection bandwagon, perhaps 38/45 or so. How's the Aveo going to sell when the Fit's price premium is gotten back in fuel costs before the car loan is even paid off?

As it stands, if the average buyer manages only the EPA City rating, the Aveo loses much of its price advantage over it's lifetime.

100,000 miles @ 26mpg = 3846 gal = $11,538
    100,000 miles @ 33mpg = 3030 gal = $9,090

That's $2500 more that the Aveo could cost over the course of 100,000 miles assuming an average of $3/gal for the next 6-7 years, assuming the buyer drives about 15k miles a year. I applaud it's low base price, but given the fact I already have nearly 150k miles on my current car, saving $2k up front and paying $3-4k more over the vehicle's lifetime does not strike me as a good deal. Total cost of ownership is key, and I think that's where the comparitively more expensive Fit and Yaris make a killing. They might cost more up front, but can actually cost less over their lifetime.

5. xcel

Hi Brandon:

___When you mention the TCO, that game is clearly in favor of the Asian’s. It isn’t just the fuel costs over 75, 100, or even 150K miles but the resale of the Domestics literally suck. They do not control their inventory like the Japanese. Take a look at the Rental car lots … You see a ton of Aveo’s, Cobalt’s, Malibu’s, Impala’s, LeSabre’s, Focus’, Taurus’, Fusion’s, Neon’s, and Stratus’ in far greater quantity then a Camry or Corolla let alone absolutely no Honda’s that I have ever seen. When those Rentals are 2 years old, the Mannheim auction here in Chicago gets buried in the darn things and you can imagine what it does to the average Joe’s Domestic resale! If it isn’t the $3 - $5K rebates on the front side, it’s the auction houses on the back end that kill a domestic’s resale.

___On a side note, Ford almost promised not to release the Fusion’s to Fleet sales. The upper level Ford manager that made that statement last year is now retired and guess what? Fusion’s are being sold to local governments for $0.75 on the dollar as fast as they are coming off the line! This will absolutely obliterate the Fusion’s used car market price in 2 or 3 years! You would be shocked at the prices a Fleet deal is setup for. IIRC, 05 Taurus’ with power everything were going out the door early last year for < $12K brand new as a fleet deal. Now how in the world is Joe Blow that paid $18K from the local Ford dealership for his brand new 05 Taurus ever going to be able to compete with used car prices on the wholesale market after 2 + years? That same local city government is wholesaling that fleet deal after 60 - 80K miles and 2 years for < $8K! It is a sad state of affairs and one reason Honda’s resale is so much higher then any of the domestics. They (the domestics) just keep hoping Joe Blow keeps pumping their new car coffers while they kill him on the resale side with Fleet and rental car practices like those above :(

___Before I purchased the Corolla, I was seriously considering a PZEV based Focus. All the way up until I started looking at TCO’s and the cheap up front numbers literally fell apart with not much more then 10 minutes worth of scrutiny …

___Good Luck

___Wayne

6. Tochatihu

Tochatihu Well-Known Member

This "fleet sales dumping" is an excellent point, xcel, may help to explain why 2001 Ford Focus sedans appear to be worth only $5 or $6k today. They were among the vehicles I considered when I bought Prius that year. The Prius' value has held up a bit better.

Vehicle capability towards one's mission, the total cost of ownership, and pollutant emissions ought to be the factors considered in vehicle purchase (IMHO). The faster depreciation of some of the hybrids' better competitors weighs heavily on the question of total cost. At the same time, it may benefit those buying used, and I think you have already made that point in other groups' discussions.

DAS

7. lyeinyoureye

lyeinyoureye Diesel Owner

I believe they're still using Daewoo's 1.6l engine because it's what's available, (until mid 2006/2007 when they start putting the 1.6 L DOHC E-TEC II engine in it) so to speak. A couple years ago GM invited Daewoo into the US as part of some kind of contract to selll daewoos on their lots, etc...
    However, GM purposefully offered very few Daewoo vehicles (far less than they were contractually obligated to iirc) for sale and Daewoo's US operation tanked. They were then forced to sell off all of their cars/parts, and guess who came in to buy them up at pennies on the dollar? GM! This was something of a coup for GM because they normally end up purchasing small, reliable, efficient cars (e.g. Geo Prizm=Toyota Corolla) from other manufacturers to boost their mileage and reliability ratings, but by screwing Daewoo, they aquired an entire line of small, efficient, *reliable cars on the cheap. The funny thing is, Daewoo did the exact same thing to GM overseas, and both were/are? dragging each other through court in their respective sales areas and have probably come to some kind of agreement selling rebadged versions of each other's cars.

*A very knowledgable shade-tree mechanic on another forum swore by his Daewoo sedan. He loved it from an engineering POV since everything was well placed and easy to get at while the car itself was efficient and reliable.

8. kickflipjr

kickflipjr Member

My dad owns an aveo. The main problem with it is the grearing on it.
    I can drive 20mph in 5th gear without any problems. The interior is cheap too.

9. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

I kinda like the looks of the Aveo. When it gets the new motor-as mentioned above- it will be a much more desirable car.
    I have noticed that big vehicles are making a slight comeback. I doubt that will last. I'm not normally much on conspiracies, but I don't think the 25% drop in oil prices is just a response to market conditions. I would bet dollars to donuts that the election( Reps) has something to do with it. There wouldn't have to be any (extra) collusion(OPEC is upfront about price fixing); the folks involved would all agree that they want the Reps to stay in power.
    1)Iran-to keep the heat off their piss poor economy the Iranian leaders want an aggressive USA.The Reps deliver that. The Reps also assure lots of turmoil so the fear premium on oil stays high(plausable).
    2)Saudi A. -Big friends of Bush.
    3)Kuwait- " " " "
    The oil producing nations-most of them-know that a Rep leadership will keep the price of oil high thru the fear premium.
    I don't know that the oil companies are involved, but they all want Rep leadership also.
    Post election the price will jump, and we will be fed the usual " fear premium" ;"China and India are using more"-like they aren't using more now???
    The new motor Aveo should come on the scene just as oil/gasoline spikes again to $3 and $75.Oh well. Charlie

10. xcel

Hi All:

___I had better update this one a touch as GM has done the same thing Ford has with the Focus to bump the EPA numbers up a hair …

07 Chevrolet Aveo

5-speed manual - 27/37
    Auto - 26/34

___Good Luck

___Wayne