My HCHII IMA troubles writeup

Discussion in 'Honda Hybrids' started by reagle, Jul 5, 2014.

1. reagle

reagle Active Member

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

Good article!

We sold our '06, with so-so battery, to son and daughter-in-law, with the promise that we'd make good if the battery crapped out. The frustrating part was the long, lingering death, lol.

Still, in retrospect, that swap was maybe the best thing for the car: they drove the bejeesus out of the car, and it FINALLY turned on the light, slightly out of the time and more significantly out of km warranty limits.

The car had started using the conventional starter, and then the light went on one evening, was off the next morning. At my urging they took it in, recovered a code (that said the battery was kaput).

The dealership said their hands were tied regarding warranty leniency, without Honda Canada's say so. My son got in touch with them, and FINALLY some good news: they ended up having to pay only about $150, the labour for the swap. I picked up that charge. ;)

That was about 6 months or more back, so far everything is fine, it SHOULD be, lol. But, looking at Honda's behaviour, the car they unleashed, their current hybrid sales numbers, I wouldn't touch a hybrid from them for the foreseeable future.

It's sad too, we've bought nothing but Honda since '81.

3. reagle

reagle Active Member

Did you notice how the the charge power limits got adjusted in the printouts? I wonder if that was a direct result of firmware change or if the car adaptively tweaks that based on what it sees the battery health to be.
    I agree on Honda- their new Accord plugin looks interesting but the way HCHII was handled, I am staying away. So far I am happy with my 12 Prius III- definitely a less buggy machine

4. Mendel Leisk

Just editorial comment: maybe change "recall" in your article, to "recal" (single "l")? Where it applies to recalibration.

Again, it seems the Civic Hybrid is almost universally panned by owners. They're still on the road, but pretty rare. It's sad, the car attempted to achieve good mileage with a many facetted approach. I like that. But the abysmal IMA battery has sunk it. There's not a lot of fans for the CVT either...

5. reagle

reagle Active Member

Good suggestion- done!

6. suchham

suchham Member

I agree wholeheartedly with the HCHll sentiment. I'm on my second battery and everything seems okay for now, but I'm just wondering if it will last very long. The rest of the car is fine, but I have no confidence this new battery will even last as long as the original. At least it was replaced under the extended warranty, but Honda really screwed this thing up.

I am curious about the new Accord hybrid-first reports are positive (but, then so were the HCHll's). It is sad, I was a loyal Honda owner for 20 years, but now...

7. RoadWarrior222

RoadWarrior222 rockit serjun

So on the positive front... lots of cheap HCHs flooding market soon with interesting parts for roll your own!

So how wide is that pancake motor?

8. reagle

reagle Active Member

Well,
    this week began with the car starting with a 12V starter every other time. Still no IMA light of course. And you could tell the little 12V battery was struggling to handle that much load every time. I called ACH, got nowhere and decided on a whim to email service manager at my local dealer with the details and a link to my writeup. Next thing I know he is ordering me a new battery! Still can't believe that, but apparently my blog post provided sufficient proof that he was able to persuade corporate to replace the pack. Should be here in a few days- I'll do another writeup once that happens ;)

9. mmrmnhrm

mmrmnhrm Well-Known Member

That's awesome. I went for something like six months with every start coming off the 12V before the IMA finally threw a battery code.

10. reagle

reagle Active Member

Wow, six months? I only heard the thing crank twice in one day and the second cranking was already much slower. Can't imagine what six months would do to the 12V battery!

11. Mendel Leisk

^ It should be ok, that's just regular use for a 12 volt. Your nerves, OTOH....

Congrats on the new IMA battery coming. I'll bet you're tiring of playing "poker" with Honda though. ;)

12. rhwinger

rhwinger Well-Known Member

Mine starts on the 12 V after sitting for a few days. MPG's still hanging in there, and the rest of the car is fine for me too.

Spoke to the local SM - can't do anything until it throws a code. :-(

Thanks,

Bob

13. reagle

reagle Active Member

Car is in the shop getting the new battery :) We'll see how it behaves after that!

14. Mendel Leisk

Well, well?

15. jbart

jbart Well-Known Member

FYI, I had similar experience. Hoping that the battery failure would occur before the "code error" because I know the battery is on its last legs. Recals 2 times per day and if its left overnight it needs a regen within the first 5 km drive. Killing my city FE but Highway FE is still good around 5.2 l/100km. Tough to do better in the summer with some A/C use.
    We decided to keep the car as the trade-in value is less than a Civic LX on a 6 year old, well maintained car. This car should be worth $8k in Canada as they are $25k new. Could be our last Honda. My 5 year old Mazda was worth $13k. Thats good value. Not like Honda :(
    Might have to go back to Mazda and try the skyactiv. I always thought the Hybrid would be the best over the long haul considering our normal driving habits.
    Unfortunately, the Prius wasnt updated until 2009 or 2010 and we had to buy a car in 2008. The "new" civic looked like a winner. Normal car experience with Hybrid boost. The 2003 HCH had good reviews and reliability from 5 year reports. DAMN Batteries...