Hybrid #2 - Looking for tips

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by Kreesti, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Kreesti

Kreesti New Member

Hello-
    I just purchased a Toyota Prius v (2014) trim level three. I have about a 12.5 mile round trip commute. About 2.5 miles (at the beginning and end) is at 25mph, with the rest ranging between 35 and 50 mph on city streets.

I park in a covered garage at home and on a surface lot at work.

I owned a Civic Hybrid (06) that I traded in for the Prius, so I am somewhat familiar with hypermiling techniques, though I can't say that I practiced them very effectively.

I have already inflated my tires to 42 front/ 40 rear and fuelly is showing that I am getting about 36 mpg (before I inflated my tires) whereas the car is showing I am in the 40-44 range.

I should also let you know that I take somewhat regular two-hour highway trips on a four-lane divided highway (not interstate) where the speed limit ranges from 65 to 70mph.

I have been over in the priuschat forums and was introduced to your forum by a suggestion over there.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

Take care-
    Kristi in Toledo, OH, USA

2. DaveJ

DaveJ Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forums. Explore this site some and you will find more tips than you would believe. Just curious how many miles you now have on your Prius? How many fill-ups so far?

3. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Welcome, Kristi!

You commute is well suited to the Toyota hybrids. The gentle beginning each way lets it complete the initial warm up process during which mpg's are poor.

After that, between 25 and 45 mph, you can glide engine off even before the full warm up is achieved. At that point, you can pulse up to speed with traffic, then glide by letting most of the way off the gas. Avoid regen that occurs when you let all the way off the gas. These pulse/glide cycles can be over a very narrow speed range if traffic is heavy.

Time with the engine off is great for mpg compared to letting the engine loaf constantly.
    Anticipate lights and traffic so that use of the brake is minimized.

On the highway, slow down and enjoy the scenery.

Great car, by the way.

My experience is with the Liftback, not the v, but I'd be surprised if the above is different.

4. Kreesti

Kreesti New Member

Hi Dave - about 1100 miles, two plus fill-ups

5. DaveJ

DaveJ Well-Known Member

The advise Ksstathead gave is spot-on. I would think with just a modest level of trying 42 mpg should be easy for you. Your commute is perfect to get great mpg. It is harder for me to get great mpg on 4 lane higher speed roads. I've had a Camry Hybrid for a little over a year and have got 4 mpg more than epa combined, and in first two tanks of my 2014 Prius hatchback I have got 5 mpg over epa (55 mpg). These are all calculated by hand at fill-up. I feel Toyota epa rating are accurate, unlike Fords and others.
    I do pay attention to driving style all the time. It helps to use same gas pump each time because the fuel nossels all work different and slope is different at each pump which can result if funny results. I have 1100 miles on Prius and 15000 on TCH.
    Some of the welcome and instruction threads can help a lot.
    Keep us posted and ask away.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  6. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Welcome! I hope your stay here is filled with learning :)

7. DaveJ

DaveJ Well-Known Member

Kreestri,

Are you using ECO mode? If not, that might help some. I run in ECO mode 100% on Camry and 90% on Prius.

Dave