Harley unveils its first electric motorcycle

Discussion in 'Street and Performance Bikes' started by 08EscapeHybrid, Jun 19, 2014.

1. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I find this very interesting... Maybe Wayne can score a test ride and give us a review?

[fimg=left]http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh19/jay2therescue/gassaver/harley-04-660x495_zpsd40aed07.jpg[/fimg] http://www.wired.com/2014/06/harley-davidson-livewire/

Harley-Davidson is more than a motorcycle, or even a brand. It is an icon, one that brings to mind big, loud bikes ridden by burly men with tattoos and beards. The company has long been known for rumbling V-twin engines and the open road. All of which makes the idea of an electric Harley seem downright absurd.

It’s actually pretty cool.

The LiveWire is the first electric two-wheeler out of Milwaukee. We spent an afternoon riding one amongst the weeds and broken glass of an abandoned Marine Corps runway outside Los Angeles last week and came away impressed. The Hell’s Angels aren’t going to be riding them anytime soon, but the bike offers an entertaining blend of power and comfort. It doesn’t sound anything at all like a proper Harley—or a “fighter jet landing on an aircraft carrier” as Harley brass say—but it’s got a futuristic sound that brings to mind an airliner taking to the air.

The LiveWire may not rumble like the Harleys everyone knows, and it doesn’t perform like them. But it’ll hit 60 mph in under four seconds and it’s got more style than other electrics we’ve ridden. Now Harley has to find out if anyone actually wants the thing.

READ MORE...

2. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

I'm actually surprised. Harley got the s%^t kicked out of them in message boards when it introduced a liquid-cooled, dual-pin v-twin in the V-rod. Since then they have focused more adapting not only their heritage, but a lot of the "greasers" mid century attitude towards their bikes.

It does look like a Buell though...those bikes were destined for greatness if Harley had given them the time.

3. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

Honestly, I hated the Vrod when it came out, but the bike has grown on me. I wouldn't mind having one now, but I still don't think I'd have one as my only bike.

4. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

I loved v-rods when they first came out. I like em less and less as time goes on. They are really awkward to ride.

5. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I thought the V-Rod was a great engine with handling crippled by styling mandates.

Oh well.

6. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Handling isn't really so bad but for the lean angle. The styling did dictate a pretty short suspension travel out back, so the ride is, shall we say, crisp. What gets me is that overdone clamshell position...very very awkward. That Porsche twin is quite something to behold, though...