Prius V -- How Much $$

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Family' started by all_about_the_glide, Jun 17, 2014.

1. all_about_the_glide

all_about_the_glide Well-Known Member

I can run the numbers, but I'm not very patient or savvy in negotiating this stuff, so I need a little help:

My wife has finally agreed to buy or lease a V if we can get the right deal. The lease deal on Toyota.com looks very attractive, but when I call and talk to sales people (three so far) they start running a bunch of different scenarios that are more $$ over all when you consider the residual value. Via the website: $1800 down (acquisition fee, first payment, down payment) + tax, license, title... 24 payments of $209 for 12000 miles per year with a $17182 residual/buyout, which we would most likely exercise. How do I find someone who will talk straight about the advertised lease and/or offer me the best possible outright purchase?

Thanks

Alan

2. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

I checked out the Toyota dealer over the hill from me Rohrich Toyota.

2014 Toyota Prius v 5dr Wgn Model Three
    Ext Blue Ribbon Metallic
    Int Dark Grey.

MSRP: $28,619
    No-Hassle Price: $26,440
    You Save: $2,179
    off of MSRP

Much Cheaper to purchase over lease with a buy out.

That should give you an idea of what you can get off a V by you.

Edit I don't know what the sales tax is in your state, but here in Pittsburgh we get hit for 7% plus a lease tax of 2% for a total of 9% on each lease payment.
    So that $209 monthly payment is really $228 here in my neck of the woods.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  3. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Unless I were rolling in money that I absolutely needed to make go away (ha!!) I wouldn't lease anything except perhaps a BEV. Since you intend to keep the car, erase the entire concept from your mind. It's a losing proposition. 1) Use the Edmunds TMV calculator because that's what pretty much everybody goes by now...that's what you negotiate on with the dealer 2) find the best interest rate you can for the loan if you want/need to go that route 3) buy the car. The mistake you're making is trying to negotiate on monthly payments which is always a recipe for disaster. If you have a trade, do the same thing except negotiate on the delta between your trade and your new purchase. In other words, the amount you owe should be TMV(new car)-TMV(trade) and it doesn't really matter how you get to that number. Often they'll offer you a couple $k less for your trade but give you the same couple $k off of the price of the new vehicle, which is perfectly fine.

4. all_about_the_glide

Thanks for the advice. I understand leases they are a shell game (down, payment, residual) that sometimes (rare) can be worked in the buyer's favor or at least reduce the cash out of pocket expense and come out close to the purchase price (again rare)...and if you work the numbers on the Toyota website this is one of those cases. I just need to know how to approach a dealer (local or regional) that can talk to me straight without a bunch of BS. Maybe the website is the BS and no such deal exists???

5. all_about_the_glide

Ok ... I'm sending emails straight to dealers and asking for quotes from various automotive websites. I just had one sales guy tell me the Toyota.com residual number is a mistake, if so it has been a mistake since Sunday evening and it has been repeated on a number of Minnesota dealers' websites.

6. all_about_the_glide

We purchased a light blue 2 last night from Rochester Toyota in Rochester Minnesota.

$25,242 with 60 months O% it would of been $24,244 without the 0%. They claim they are blowing them out because of over allocation from Toyota, caused by previous fleet sales to a local taxi company. A little more than a K better than quotes from local dealers. Dave the sales guy was straight to the point making the whole deal easy. They gave us $500 for the SAAB, online calculators pegged it at $337 to $779 (180k, oil leak, rust spots, 2 bad tires, faulty gas gauge, worn out struts, AC works but only on fan speed low.....)

63.2mpg on the display on the 110 mile drive home with big tailwind...56.7 mpg in to work this AM against the wind. My wife will commandeer it this afternoon.

7. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

That was a great deal with the 0% financing. You probably saved over $2K in interest even at the regular low low 2.9%.

8. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a great deal AATG :D

9. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

Congrats, sounds like a good deal.

10. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Excellent deal. Congratulations.

11. all_about_the_glide

The 2-year long propaganda campaign paid off...quick back story: about that long ago we started talking about replacing our 2002 SAAB Wagon (much loved--safe, extremely comfortable, great stereo, enough room for a family of 4 with their vacation junk jammed in, and returned over 30 if driven correctly over mainly highway miles, 21 in the dead of winter in town) and the discussion always turned to my wife saying there was no way she was driving a hybrid or anything else that had hypermiling connotations, then the kids would chime in that daddy doesn't turn on the air conditioning or the heat when it is cold...today, one week after taking delivery of the V, my 13 year old is bragging about helping his mom learning to hypermile, my brutal with the truth 11 year old daughter is giving her mom compliments and admitting she likes the car and tripB, which I zeroed when I was done driving it last Saturday, is sitting at 53.4. :woot:

12. No Static At All

No Static At All Active Member

Congrats on your purchase!! Glad you bought instead of leasing. Leasing rarely makes sense at the end of the day.