Plug In Prius battery

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Family' started by vangonebuy, Jun 13, 2014.

1. vangonebuy

vangonebuy Well-Known Member

A good friend has a 2013 PlugIn Prius.
    After a few months. He decided not to use the plugIn feature anymore.
    Said the savings wasn't worth the trouble.

Will this hurt the battery long term?
    If it is a separate. Sitting long times with no charge will certainly hurt it.
    If the batteries balance the charge. All will be better, But maybe not so great.

Is this battery in jeopardy?

2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I don't know all the details, of course, but my gut says your friend is.......... well , lazy.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

Does the plug-in battery charge in concert with the regular hybrid battery, through regen braking? I'm not sure.

And yeah, it seems odd to buy the plug-in and then not utilize it.

4. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Pretty sure the production version of the PiP, unlike its earlier test mules, has one combined battery pack. I doubt not charging would be as hard on the battery as cycling it from full to empty each day.

5. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

He probably hasn't learned how to use the PiP system too its potential and is just not inclined to do so. The pip seems to come in with better #'s than a gen3. As far as the pack goes without plugging in, chances are it will last a long time! H

6. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Well-Known Member

How hard is it to plug the car in :rolleyes:

7. Mendel Leisk

8. vangonebuy

vangonebuy Well-Known Member

Thanks,
    I hoped the battery is combined or charge controlled.
    It must take a lot of regen to fully charge it now.

The reason for the stopped plugin is the price of electricity. At $0.24 a KWH.
    He's right. The savings per mile are small here.

He upgraded to plugin more for the rebate and price offered, than the straight hybrid.
    I don't know the details of the purchase price.

Thanks for the info.

9. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

Yes that makes sense. H

10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Could depend on hassle with the EVSE. When we were using our 120V on our Volt I ended up just throwing it in the back when unplugging. Once our garage became usable I just left it in there when unplugging unless guaranteed plug-in.

The problem for the PiP is that you get few miles per plug-unplug. Say you get 10 miles and plug-unplug takes 20 seconds (probably more on in a PiP because it's built for the Japanese, which the port right rear), then that's 2 seconds per mile. Multiply by 450 and you get 900 seconds, or 15 minutes. In other words, in terms of time it's like a 15 minute fill-up. No wknder that in a high-cost electricity location like LI an owner might not bother.

The otber issue is that heating needs the engine anyway, so even a short errand in colder weather will burn gas.

Pre-A/C on the plug is possible.

To me, the big reason for an unmotivated owner to plug it in is that it helps avoid hard running of a cold engine, which should help the engine. If the EVSE is a hassle he could have an L2 unit installed. Clipper Creek now has a $400 LCS-20 that does 220V-15A charging.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  11. Mendel Leisk

That's what I was speculating. Over at PriusChat it's very often the story: people getting the plug-in, due to rebates, or to get HOV lane stickers. Kind of sad.

12. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

What a joke! I hope the car fails and he surfers greatly the lazy bum!

13. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

I don't think he is lazy his electic rate is too high to make electric worth using!

14. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I predict this guy's next vehicle will be a Model S. Then the car can just sit in the garage while he complains/brags to his friends about the price of electricity.

15. jbart

jbart Well-Known Member

0.24$ per kwH? wow!!!
    We are complaining about our "peak" pricing which is still only half that:
    0.135$ on-peak (11am - 5pm)
    0.075$ off-peak (7pm - 7am)

Of course our gas prices just reached 1.39$/l which is...~ $5.25 per gallon?
    I would love a PIP for under $35k!
    https://www.hydroottawa.com/residential/rates-and-conditions/

16. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

I pay around $0.15/kWh on average including transmission and generation
    and anything-else-they-can-think-of fees, though I've offset much of it with
    solar panels. But that $0.15/kWh converted to dollars per gallon equivalent is
    over $5/gal as well; it's just that EVs can do so much more with 1 gallon
    equivalent.

One of my favorite "top-off" charging spots nearby just started charging fees.
    Still not bad though with $0 minimum and $0.20/kWh. The owner of the charger
    had donated power for about a year or so. He owns the industrial building with
    solar panels on the roof, so he was generating up to 100+kW when sunny. I've
    been seeing a new Volt plugged in there lately; I wonder if the guy finally took
    the plunge?

I don't usually bother plugging in the PiP on a fast charger as it can't consume
    more than 1.9kW from what I've seen. It's quite happy on the 110V home charger.

On the topic of leaving the PiP battery uncharged for a long time, I agree with
    ksstathead that it probably won't hurt the battery much. The assumption is that
    the vehicle is being driven, so there is always SOME charge being maintained
    in the battery by the hybrid mode driving. The PiP does very well even when
    not using it as a plug-in. I recently did a 110 mile drive to Cape Cod, and my
    wife had forgotten to plug it in before we left. Well, per the display, I was
    getting about 65 MPG so that should be an easy 60 MPG adjusted. This was
    highway driving with occasional 70 mph speeds. And once I got there, I was
    able to plug in to a Chargepoint station outside a Kohl's store.

Cheers,
    Bill

17. wick1ert

wick1ert Well-Known Member

Same price around here, .15c/kw. I consider 3.20/gal the equivalent based on cost per mile for me on a retail price basis to my average FE (EV and HV). I average around 10 miles on EV and about 45MPG on HV due to lots of stop/go and short trips. May have calculated that equivalent wrong when I did it, though. Since I am able to plug in at work, I come out ahead in the end and my $$ stays local with the electric company, no matter how much I'm not a fan of them lol.

I believe the PIP can take a 3.3kw charge from an L2, which is what I have at my home. I got the Leviton last year through their "partnership" with Toyota, with included 10yr warranty on everything because they installed it. I can charge the PIP battery from nearly flat to full in a little over an hour. That's roughly 4kw in that 75-90 mins, right? I'm curious how long my battery will last, since I top off about 3 or 4 times a day during the week. It's got an 8yr/100k warranty here I believe, so I'm not that worried. It won't be my problem, as I will have upgraded by then.

I only got the 30AMP L2 because it allows me to top off at lunch and a lot faster on weekends for errands, etc. It's also a good in-between charge rate if/when I get the higher EV range PHEV or BEV in the future.

18. beekeeper

beekeeper New Member

just bought a 2014 plugin prius.If i'm right the computer keeps the plugin batteries from over charge and too deep discharge. was wondering if in cold weather and not using , keeping the plug in would periodically recharge as the battery discharges from cold weather non use

19. Mendel Leisk

I think the hybrid batteries, either regular Prius or Plug-in, are pretty bulletproof: sitting for a few days, or a few weeks, is not going to impact them. The regular 12 volt battery is more vulnerable in such situations. How many days idle are you talking about? As long as you're using the car a couple of days per week, the 12 volt should be fine. If usage down to once a week, you'd do well to monitor the 12 volt battery's voltage with a digital multimeter, and invest in a low amperage (around 3 amp) smart charger, hook it up periodically.

20. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

As Mendel said, its the 12V I'd be concerned about. I hook mine up to a BatteryMinder for a pulsing, low-amp charge when out of town or snowed in. Good for any car, but the 12V in a Prius is small since it doesn't crank the engine, so the current draw when off is more significant.

The pack will be fine whether plugged in or not. I'd have someone drive it if not using for a couple of months or more. Don't fully charge it if it will sit that way in hot weather.