Who is Getting the Gen IV Prius

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Family' started by bestmapman, May 31, 2014.

1. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

Just a curiosity on my part. I am planning on purchasing the next gen (gen IV) prius when it comes out. My current 2010 gen IV has about 170,000 on it and is getting a little worn.

So if you are planning on purchasing a gen IV post it here.

2. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

The way I drive I'm looking at a Gen VI or maybe a Gen VII. My soon to be five year old 2010 just passed 40K so it is going to be a while before I start looking for another one.

When I'm ready the newest version of the Prius better be getting at least 75 to even 80 mpg on the combined EPA cycle or I'll be keeping my third generation for even longer.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  3. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

It's definitely an interesting possibility for me, when I give up on my old Mazda, which may be fairly soon. However, it will have to be plenty wonderful for me not to feel foolish spending that much, compared to other options likely cost less overall (e.g., new Fit, Accent, or Note, or a used third generation Prius, or __?__ ).

4. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Still plan to get a PiP, but waiting for gen4 now. Our 2010 is nearing 66000, and with the Leaf taking local miles the Prius May never see 10000 per year again.

The Leaf makes me want more AER than Toyota wants to give thus far.

5. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

I like the idea of getting back into something like that since my wife went all-in on the minivan, but I think (or at least hope) it'll be several years before I'm thinking about new car for myself. The wagon turned over 90k this morning (bought at 75k in August of '12) so it's not about to become worn-out any time soon. My thinking is that the longer I wait to replace it, the better the odds I'll go PHEV or EV for the next one. The technology and selection are getting better and better.

6. DaveJ

DaveJ Well-Known Member

I just traded for a new 2014 Prius yesterday. They finally got high enough rebates(2K), slow sales and big inventory for me to get one at price point I could live with. I'd guess the new one will not have rebates for a good while after launch.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

Our odometer's similar to ALS, except in kilometers, and our use is decreasing of late. I'd guess under 10000 km's per year. Might just skip 4th gen, stay with what we've got.