prius vs hchII after drive test

Discussion in 'General' started by fileaudio, May 26, 2014.

1. fileaudio

fileaudio heavy foot ultramegamiler

Well hchII with 45000 miles new battery, Prius 05 189600 miles, the feeling is better on Prius, more nice driving soft feeling on steering wheel and suspension (its true some claim you can feel the road) , the hchII is easier to get better mileage by far, Civic hybrid is better looking but technology on prius II gen is premium feel, well prius is not ugly as most people claimed, lucky to get it on red, black is very sporty too. Prius its roomier than hchII but not too much % , hchII is easy to drive Prius is more get used to it, those are not fastest cars but with technical skills you can drive those faster than average. Im making this cause I need to sell one I must confess my last 14 cars were Toyotas and I feel good on this Civic.. My commute are 95% city driving... This week was 53 mpg on hchII ,this last 3 days was 40 mpg on Prius (i don't know how to drive it yet ) i guess.. Honestly unbiased

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

I occasionally get to drive our previous '06 Civic Hybrid. Comparing to our '10 Prius, the Civic's accelerator is much touchier: step on the gas from stopped and you get a pulse, usually more than needed. Also, the regen seems to impose more drag when coasting. The Civic's CVT transmission is much more noticeable, giving a kick when it engages. Granted this is a car approaching 10 years age, with over 160000 km's.

The much younger Prius' drive train seems very seamless and smooth by comparison. And it's around town mpg is roughly 20% better. While our son was on vacation I drove the Civic a few times, with reset tripmeter, trying to get good numbers, for me anyway. I had it around 5.4 liters/100 km. This was displayed mileage, and (kudos to Honda) very likely accurate. Driving similarly with the Prius I'm getting (calculated, Toyota tends to BS) around 4.6 liters/100 km.

There could be factors effecting the Civic's current fuel economy, considering it's age. It did just get a new IMA battery, a positive. But we did have some brake issues very recently, and I'm still a little suspicious that one of the front brakes has a moderate drag, not sure.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

File

In general-the Prius will deliver better mpg-city and mixed-than any HCH2-(normal drivers-not hyper milers-but 53mpg is pretty easy to match with a 2004 on prius-city of hy)
    now the earlier HCH-with the Manual Transmissions-probably matched the 2004 and later Prius

One point-our 2006 Prius BP died at 84,500 miles-just 44 days short of the warranty 8 years.
    Before the BP was replaced it regularly showed 42-23mpg on the running total on the screen(actual mpg was always 2-3 less than display-but consistent)
    After the new BP it shows 47-48 mpg- 4 mpg better-
    ALL due to the new BP-

So no surprise-your MPG is a bit down-40 mpg-actully trying to get good mpg-means your Prius is not "running right

Oh-I am going to be attacked by Honda partisans-they all insist that the HCH's beat the 2004 Prius in mpg-only the older HCH with the manual trans MIGHT do that(and only hy)

4. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Try driving a ways, then stop without braking, then touch the disk. If it burns your finger, it's dragging. If one feels only a little warmer than its twin on the other side, it's dragging slightly.

5. Mendel Leisk

Yeah, after a long drive I found one front side quite hot. This was in the midst of a break bleeding, done by the dealership, that left one of the rear (drum) brakes completely inoperative.

After a few "exciting" stops, with the ALB going off, I tried raising first the front, and then the rear, and spun wheels while while my wife depressed the brake pedal. One of the rears just free spun!

Long story short, the dealership acknowledged the issue, rebled, test drove, and finally got it sorted.

My son's saying now the two front brakes feel roughly the same, but I'm not sure how critical he is.

I like your tip of rolling to a stop without braking (safely, somewhere). That will isolate brake drag vs brake usage.

6. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Yes. One good sort of place you can do that safely is a rest area (or other parking lot) that has parking spots on an upgrade, assuming you don't come in too fast. Using the parking brake a little won't hurt, if you're checking the end on which they don't act (i.e., the front on nearly anything except old Saabs and Subarus).

7. fileaudio

I like the drag on the brakes. Well not at all I like to have regen... Make me feels prepared to have asst

8. phoebeisis

Yeah-40 mpg on the Prius
    driven by driver who gets 53 mpg from the HCH2
    Means there is certainly something wrong with the Prius
    MPG should be comparable-

and with a NORMAL driver-in city driving the Prius will beat the HCH2 EASILY
    Highway-just set the Cruise control to 60 mph-the Prius will deliver 53-55 mpg by just steering it-no effort-just cc and steer-53 mpg no effort 60 mph
    HCH2 might have a slight hy mpg advantage-but not according to EPA

9. fileaudio

10. phoebeisis

Yeah
    I LIKE the looks of the Prius-
    Kinda Flash Gordon serials space ship looking.
    And the hatch means plenty of Home Depot capacity for a small car.

Have you figured out the WHY of the red triangle??-Codes?
    As I mentioned out Prius picked up 4 mpg-5mpg after replacing the BP
    I didn't expect that-but it is pretty clear-10% better mpg all BP I assume
    My son-claims it "is quieter"-not sure what he means maybe the BP cooling fan is running less

Oh-which "feels" quicker accelerating?? Our Prius has plenty of zip in the 20-50MPH range-?
    Yeah once you get the Prius running better-it will deliver better city mpg than the Honda-with practically no effort-well hardly any effort-just make sure it is pure gliding instead of regen,and when you want to actually slow down get it regenerating right away-with not much actual brake braking.-

Prius deliver killer city suburban mpg-and 50+mpg hy at 65mph.

11. fileaudio

WHATS THE MEANING OF BP?
    The codes and lighs went away after refill the brake fluid, one of the codes mentioned o2 sensor, maybe thats why mileage is worse than hchII, even the Prius has 186000 miles I like it more than civic in technology and system, faster response as hybrid cutting the gas and electric assistance more precise, as a mentioned b4 battery its ok and that scary triangle won't comeback again. One question when going only electric and braking to stop there's a humming sound that decrease togueter with speed and dissapear until car stops, is it normal too? Just knowing,learning :Banane45: the Prius

12. Mendel Leisk

Me too: what is BP??

13. fileaudio

Haha ballet parking?

14. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

BP means "battery pack".

15. fileaudio

Battery pack.. well the new BP on civic make it feel faster than before butThe prius feels faster for me after total stop quicker accel ...in the go civic seems more sport and better on curves. But the floaty sensation of the prius is best to me...

16. fileaudio

Well Good news I enter to Toyota owners and read all the records until 178000 miles the car has 186000 thats 8k miles ago, from one owner she was a woman(good or bad? ) I must confess she was almost religious every 4k to 6k miles one service i founded 30 records 2 of those was hybrid water pump, bulbs, tires oil and cabin filters... Then 8k almost make me think of 2 owners only... And that she carefully keep well the car

17. phoebeisis

Female owner-good news

Religious service-ever 4-6000 miles- VERY GOOD-
    It is such a clean runner that every 6000 miles is probably fine with regular oil-
    or maybe 10,000 1 year between oil changes if you use extended service synthetic oil

Yeah-female owner and religious maintenance-about as good as it gets-30 DEALER service appointments-wow-talk about religious-probably $3000 in "oil changes" since dealers always screw you-find some other "stuff" to do

Yeah-you probably did OK on the Prius-careful maintenance-easy on a gas and brakes owner
    Women generally don't BEAT CARS UP the way some guys do-and this previous owner was COMPULSIVE as heck service wise
    I NEVER bring a car to a dealer-except for recalls- or warranty service
    Our Prius would show 2 dealer services-8 years 84,500 miles
    1)Inverter pump recall service
    2)BP replacement -also steering shaft "recall" at same time
    Now probably 12 oil changes-all extended service MOBIL 1 and good filters-
    plus air filter or two-cabin filter or two-
    Several sets of tires-for some reason tires only last 25,000-30,000 miles??

Oh-the O2 sensor-yep that can cost you 10-15-20% MPG
    Car has to use a "predetermined" map for fuel- if it isn't getting constant O2 sensor feedback to adjust the mixture-so it will be "set" on the slightly rich side
    Yeah an O2 sensor is maybe $30-$100- usually easy to Do It Yourself (DIY) replace-just screw off screw back on

Yeah-replace the sensor-your prius should beat that wimpy Honda( I can't resist a cheap shot over the bow of HCH2 lovers)

18. fileaudio

Well let me tell you that My last 14 or 15 cars were Toyotas, so I must confess im a Toyota guy, first hybrid came to me in the hchII wich is very good but after test the cars prius and hchII the civic feels cheaper, and the prius spaceship feel caugh me for good, Im offering both to stay with One, I can wait for a camry hybrid or a Prius 2010, those are great,
    Yep Im going to replace the sensor but Im broke righ now with 2 cars but happy, I purchased the prius for business and I probably end with him as a conmute vehicle, my wife fell in love with the red prius

19. fileaudio

My beautyful prius was sold :( 187000 miles and running even better that Civic hybrid, but i got to rid of one of those, this purchase was usefull to realize the love I get for a prius, the technology is unnatched easy to get 50 mpg, great suspension and driving.. Now I want a 2010 wich is very very expensive here, Im confident with the civic now cause has ne hybrid battery and almost 3 years on warranty replace, it has only 47000 miles and looking good but Im in love of the Prius, I get an advise from a wise known member from here "stay with civic.. Save money and hit the prius in 2 years price drop...

20. Mendel Leisk

We went from Civic Hybrid to Prius, didn't regret it. In our hands the Prius gives about 20% better mpg. In the hands of a skillful hypermiler I think the Civic could do better on the highway. But that doesn't really mean much in our case. I find the Prius much smoother, the battery capable of much more assist. Cargo capacity, no competition. ;)

I occasionally drive our old Civic, and now get irritated by things. The gas pedal response for example. With the Prius the response is very controlled/smooth. With the Civic it feels like the slightest touch results in an unneeded burst, way too touchy. The old school CVT vibrates a lot at idle. I dunno, just a night-and-day difference.