XL hybrid conversion kits

Discussion in 'General' started by TheStepChild, May 17, 2014.

1. Interesting idea.
    http://www.xlhybrids.com
    I've seen a few in GMC 2500 Savana cargo vans around here.
    Although, the one driver I talked to - I had him show me the dash. He was averaging 15.5 mpg with the hybrid, and it was the same van as mine - 2012, 2500 with the 4.8L .
    He said you can feel it in town, and on hills on the express way.

2. fusion210

fusion210 Well-Known Member

That's what I'd call an ultra mild hybrid. Mild salsa levels of mild. Mayonnaise on white bread mild.

3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

In vans-guessing it would take perhaps 1000 watt hrs to push it a mile at 30mph?
    And maybe-pure guess-it takes an extra 500 watt hrs to go from 0-30

I couldn't find any actual specs-maybe i didn't look hard enough
    The electric motor-can't be big enough to accel the van-all by itself-take maybe 50hp at least for very leisurely acceleration?

But the 25% -city-claim- very decent improvement-even if you assume it is an exaggeration-and 15% is more like it

4. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I'm guessing that most of the gains would be from shutting the engine down at stops. We have a 2000 GMC Savanna 3500 that I have no idea what mileage it gets. We drive it so little that we only do partial fills on the tank to keep the gas fresher.

5. phoebeisis

08 Escape
    Right-my 98 suburban 5.7- uses .6-7gph at idle.
    If I shut down at red lights on relatively short urban/suburban trips-mpg goes from 15.5-18mpg.
    So you are dead on 15% is the engine being shut off at lights.
    A typical 10 mile trip can have 10-12 minutes worth of stops- .1 gallon of the .7 gallons I use.
    Guessing the AC problem is why all vehicles don't have auto shutdown.

How big a BP is require to drive a car AC for 2-3 minutes-maybe something capable of delivering-100 watt hrs-300 watt hrs actual capacity-30 lbs nickel metal hydride-perhaps $300 or so?? Plus the electric compressor etc?
    Car ACs-maybe 10,000 BTUs??

Yeah-bet you are right-shutting the engine off -most of the savings-and the simplest cheapest part too.

6. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

A battery capable of running an electric a/c compressor for a couple of minutes will cost more than $300.

7. phoebeisis

Escape-even a cheaper nickel metal hydride one-??
    I was assuming 1/5 the capacity of a regular Prius battery might be enough-
    guessing those BP are "just $1500" and dividing
    You are certainly right-it wouldn't be 1/5 the cost-I would hope it wouldn't be 1/2 the cost-$800- but maybe it would be.

The cheap 3.7 V 3000 milli-amp-hr 18650 batteries I use in my cheapo flashlights-are $2-Lithium of course-but cheap
    Figure maybe 1/3 discharge- 3 watt hrs each- 100 of them-$200??
    But they are all but junk-probably don't deliver anything like claimed amps-poor QC in general-probably a fire hazard too(had a chinese lithium battery catch fire before).
    A quality BP-yeah would cost at least 3x-$600 or so if lithium-guessing they wouldn't bother with heavier older tech batteries.