I have the first 2014 Optima Hybrid in the Southeast!

Discussion in 'Kia' started by dryloch, May 16, 2014.

1. dryloch

dryloch Member

The local dealer was hiding it out back because Kia had not given them the OK to sell it. They got the approval today and he called me up. I took it home tonight and will finish the paperwork tomorrow. I am trading in a 2012 Optima Hybrid and am hoping to get even better mileage with this one. I need all the pointers I can get Wayne so if you are in the Atlanta area and want to do some real world testing on the 2014 model let me know. In case you are wondering, it is the awesome new Blue color! I will post some photos tomorrow.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  2. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Congratulations dryloch :)

Looking forward to the photos.....

3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Nice car, dryloch ! Happy motoring.

4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Dryloch:

Congrats!

Wayne

5. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

Hurry up with the pictures or it didn't happen! Congrats on the new car!

6. dryloch

dryloch Member

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  7. 3mar67

3mar67 New Member

Nice car. I've had my 2014 Hybrid just over two weeks now and I really like it.

[​IMG]

8. dryloch

dryloch Member

Nice car 3Mar. I need to get my windows tinted right away. It is going to get hot in Atlanta real soon! I am getting about 39 MPG overall which is 4 MPG better than my 2012 ever got. When it breaks in I am hoping to be over 40!

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  9. 3mar67

3mar67 New Member

That blue looks real good. It'll look good with tinted windows.

I want to add paint protection film to my front bumper, but the computer cutouts aren't
    available for these cars yet. So I'm holding my breath when I'm on the highway, hoping to avoid chips for the time being.

Also, do you agree the 2014s have the best looking OEM wheels of any hybrid on the market?

10. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

That is all you can get Is 39 mpg. Are you heavy on the throttle! H

11. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Harold, remember that we ALL have different commutes , traffic-wise or distance-wise. It's quite possible that 39 MPG is a quantum leap beyond what he was getting with his previous car.

12. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

You never hear much about these cars. I sort of expected better #'s.H

13. dryloch

dryloch Member

I have to take the surface streets to get home and unfortunately there are a few monster hills on the way home. Also Atlanta drivers are always in a hurry to go nowhere. I often feel pressure to accelerate faster than I would if there was nobody behind me. I am trying to find the best driving style compromise that will keep me from getting constantly honked at. The other negative is that the car refuses to Glide. It always wants to be charging the battery. You can blip the accelerator all day long but I cannot get the display to show no movement. It is always charging when you let off the gas. The last thing to remember is that the Optima is considered a full size. It is not a small vehicle which means it is harder to move it in and out of traffic. If I need to get over into a lane sometimes the only way to do it is to gun it before a space closes up and I am stuck.

14. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

Are there other routes that are not as busy that you could use. I realize the Optima is a mid size auto but so is a Prius. Prius is not a light carl either. That hurts when your not able too glide without regen. H