2013 HSH never goes into EV

Discussion in 'Hyundai Sonata Hybrid' started by darrelldb1, Apr 28, 2014.

1. darrelldb1

darrelldb1 Well-Known Member

I recently replaced my 2012 with a 2013 HSH. The car never goes into EV mode at highway speeds. Wayne told me they changed the programming on these, but I still an having a difficult time accepting that this car is right.

Here is a video of what it is doing. This is on a 10 mile flat section of freeway with an elevation change of 12 feet. 60 degree outside temp, slight tail wind, windows up, HVAC and all accessories are off.
    At 2:09 into the video the SoC reaches 95%, for the duration of the trip there and back, the car never went into EV except when decelerating on the off ramp.

[flash]http://www.youtube.com/v/MnQ8l2Io93U?version=3[/flash]

My dealer insists that this is normal, but didn't take me on a drive in a new one to prove it. Very frustrating.

Here is a video of how it behaved shortly after we bought the car.

[flash]http://www.youtube.com/v/CISocqRaYQs?version=3[/flash]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2014
  2. SD3_Driver

SD3_Driver Well-Known Member

I drive a 2011 FFH and although not the same car, mine does that when is recalibrating the battery pack, usually takes like 30 min or so as said in the owners manual.. last time it took the SoC to 90plus percent, then like 10 min of ICE-on... when done, the ICE shut off at the first oportunity to do so and fron that point on it was operating as normal..

3. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Super Moderator

4. SD3_Driver

So, how the car is doing????? Still doing the same thing?????

5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Darrell:

Two items. I see you were near the 62 mph mark in the first vid above. Did you have an ECU flash with a new threshold instilled for your 13 after the February video? I do not remember the 13 having a threshold and it should have cycled the pack like all HSHs do.

Is it still failing to cycle into and out of EV mode after that vid was taken back in late April?

I have tentatively scheduled a 14 Optima Hybrid for early August but I have not heard they removed even more functionality with any later flashes?

Wayne

6. darrelldb1

It is still operating the same.
    The dealer failed to reproduce the issue, so instead of asking me to go along for the ride, they concluded it was not malfunctioning.
    After further prodding by me a Hyundai field engineer drove the car, failed to follow my instructions and again failed to reproduce the issue. Instead of asking me to reproduce the issue, the field engineer concluded there is nothing wrong with the car.
    Someone from Hyundai corporate then called me and said their position is that the car is operating normal.
    My next step is to send the complaint to the Hyundai Customer Connect Center and send a letter with my videos to Dave Zuchowski.

I am very frustrated at this point.

The dealer let me drive a 14 for comparison and on the same drive the 14 went into ev mode 14 times and ended with an average MPG of 53
    Here is that video [flash]http://www.youtube.com/v/PsaD43_Ww3Y?hl=en_US&version=3[/flash]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  7. xcel

Hi Darrell:

Yes it is time to move it up the ladder. At highway speeds it should be cycling into and out of EV continuously.

Wayne

8. darrelldb1

Ended up having to hire a lawyer to resolve this. Just got the offer back to return the car, they will pay the loan, refund all my payments, and pay attorneys fees.

I can't tell you how disappointed I am with Hyundai. I would really like to replace it with an Optima, but it will be hard to go back to Hyundai now with their track record of being unwilling or unable to diagnose and repair their vehicles.

Maybe a Fusion Energi or perhaps the new Lexus NX.

9. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Or a Chevy Volt. I hear they've got everything dialed-in now , or at least enough to stay clear of lemon laws.

10. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Glad you got resolution. Now you get to go shopping! For a car!

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

Sadly, almost any manufacturer's name could be substituted. One key to business success is supplying an unaddressed need. If anyone were to stand behind their product, not grudgingly, right down to the dealership level...

12. SD3_Driver

Sorry to hear that, I drove a non-hybrid Sonata and it is really a nice car, but Hyundai drop the ball on this one, at least they "took care" of things.

13. jefmoody

jefmoody Member

My 2013 HSH does the same thing but it does use the electric along with the ICE; although, in flat Florida I don't understand why at 65 it isn't going into EV only. I generally let off the pedal to force it into EV only but I shouldn't need to do that. I believe they need an ECU update to correct the issue.

14. xcel

Hi Darrell:

Not that this will suit your needs after the mess of your past HSH but glad to hear you have a new alternative purchase path now. I consider the 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid the best HEV on the market right now other than exterior styling. The Accord HEV is right there but its ergonomics, rear trunk volume and high RPM low FE at higher speeds push it behind the all-new 2nd gen HSH.

Wayne