HOWDY Y'ALL...New Member From Texas

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by 404-419, Apr 17, 2014.

1. 404-419

404-419 Member

Hello Everyone,

I'd like to introduce myself as well. I drive a 2009 Dodge Durango down in Texas. I used to get 10-12 MPG on average but have used some techniques to where I now get 19-20 MPG on average (with mostly city driving) and I've gotten as high as 23 MPG on a road trip. I think that's more than a 50% increase but wondering if it's possible to get more. Hoping to learn from all of you fine folks!

My commute is short. I walk about 12 steps from my bedroom to my home office and usually in my PJs! I do have kiddos that keep me pretty busy driving around town. I can't wait to meet you all and start learning more about what you have done to reduce your fuel costs and emissions.

Sherri in Texas

2. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

Can't beat that commute :)

3. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Your commute's even more energy-efficient than bike commuting, my usual method.

4. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

That commute is the best! :D

I think you're near the limit with the Durango at 20+ mpg. It's big and heavy with a thirsty engine. It might be time to consider trading.

For family hauling, what about a minivan? Or if your family will fit, a VW TDI wagon or a Prius V (the big one)? My family can't fit in a 5-seater, so a minivan is it.

5. 404-419

404-419 Member

When I bought my Durango, both my kids BEGGED me not to get another minivan. They'd rather be seen in an SUV. And it's good for hauling a boat.

6. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Sherri:

This may help. :)

Shell and a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Star in the #TracktoTrack Challenge

Think of it as a Durango on Steroids that will also provide double the fuel economy. Albeit seating for 5, not 7.

Love your commute and welcome to CleanMPG! I will be flying in to visit two of your largest cities including Dallas and Houston in less than 6-hours from now in order to drive a 14 RAM 1500 with that same 3.0L EcoDiesel. Can't wait either!

Wayne

7. atlaw4u

atlaw4u Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard from an Ex-Texan.