Good add-on bluetooth units?

Discussion in 'General' started by brick, Mar 29, 2014.

1. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Has anybody had a good experience adding a bluetooth kit to a vehicle that didn't originally come with it? I would like to install something in the Ody since I consider it a safety thing. The only problem is I'm not sure what to get. I see that Parrot makes a few units that I can hard-wire into the existing radio, which is attractive. However I keep reading horror stories about them becoming flaky or outright failing after as little as a few months of use. The other option seems to be installing a new headunit with integrated bluetooth. My preference would be not to go that route but I'm willing to go that way if it will be easy to use and reliable.

Installing a stand-alone box is an option, but if it isn't hard wired and really effective or my wife won't use it. If she has to do anything to make it work (like charge it) I'll find it dead in the glovebox in a couple of weeks. Been there, done that.

2. aca2983

aca2983 Well-Known Member

I recently self-installed a JVC headunit that cost about $120 and includes CD, Bluetooth, Sirus compatibility, Aux-in, 2 USBs, and a variety of bells and whistles including a handy remote. It also included a hardwired microphone that I snaked up the A-pillar trim and installed at the top of the pillar. Not knowing much about the different available BT features in advance, the BT setup/pairing was easy and integrates with the phone book, last-dialed, missed calls, etc. in my LG/Google Nexus 4. I also daily play music from podcasts on my phone via the BT. For the money, I'm tickled, brought an old car into the 21st century, and improved the enjoyment (tolerability?) and utility of my commute which recently changed from almost nil to 55 minutes each way.

There are some headunits out there now with some pretty impressive features and they're relatively inexpensive. I got mine from Sonic Electronix, but Crutchfield had it as well, and I subsequently bought some replacement speakers from Crutchfied because all mine but 1 were dead. For about $220 total, the sound quality is much much better than OEM was, and I've got tons of features. So glad I did it, although I did lose casette tape playback capability!

3. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Earlier in the week I decided on this Kinivio unit that works through the factory aux input. It arrived today but I haven't tried it yet. It checks most of the boxes except that she'll have to hit the AUX button before making or receiving calls. I'm pretty sure she'll be fine with that, and for $40 with mostly very good reviews I'm willing to take the risk.