New here! 2013 Subaru WRX STI

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by jedi_sol, Mar 28, 2014.

1. jedi_sol

jedi_sol Member

Hello All,
    I'm over on Ecomodder, I figured I'd open up an account on here.

I modded my old 93 Honda Del sol (Acura GSR engine swap) to achieve an average of 44-45 mpg, best tank ever was 50mpg.
    [​IMG]

Here is my current car...2013 Subaru WRX Sti. I know it's not the best car to start with, but it's been my dream car since I was a teenager. Now that im 31, I finally saved up enough money to make my dream a reality :).

So far, I've just done basic mods
    1) upper and lower grill block
    2) smooth under tray
    3) rear wheel boat tails
    4) engine kill switch
    5) scangauge II
    6) inner/outer side skirts
    7) side mirror reduction

Epa ratings are 17 city / 25 highway / 20mpg combined. My best tank so far is 27.9mpg. I'm averaging 25-26 with combined driving.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. No Static At All

No Static At All Active Member

Nice job jedi sol!!! Really like how the grill blocks look. How hot does it usually get compared to w/o the blocks?

Thanks!!

3. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

I would have to ask the same thing considering the propensity for turbo engines to get really hot with all of that plumbing under there.

4. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

The hood scoop is functional on those, right? That should help.

5. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

Good job! I really like the mirrors, and the underside.A lot of work and I bet it took a lot of patience. H

6. jedi_sol

jedi_sol Member

without grill blocks - temps fluctuate between 184*F - 195*F

with grill block - ive trimmed it down so that the temps now fluctuate between 188*F - 205*F

the cooling fan activates at 215*F

upper grill block is made of expanding foam, fiberglass, and bondo

7. jedi_sol

jedi_sol Member

yes, hood scoop is functional :)

8. jedi_sol

jedi_sol Member

Thanks!

Yes, lots of patience. I've been tinkering with the car ever since I bought it last year.

Future plans - finish off the front bumper under belly, front wheel spats, partial rear wheel skirts, all season tires with better LRR.

9. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

How much drag do you think that rear spoiler would make?

10. jedi_sol

jedi_sol Member

compared to the Hatchback version, the sedan version (with wing) has smaller coefficient of drag

hatchback - 0.35 cd
    Sedan - 0.34 cd

Subaru claims that the sedan has a 3mph higher top speed vs the hatchback due to the wing.

Removing the wing is an option, however, I'd have to replace the entire trunk (or live with a trunk that has 20 holes in it). Maybe one day if I come across a trunk at a junkyard, I might be able to do ABA testing.