Scangauge II Intermittent Startup Glitch

Discussion in 'ScanGauge' started by Doverboy, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Doverboy

Doverboy Member

I've been using my sgii for approximately 4 years and it is terrific.

However, sometimes when I start the ignition, the sgii provides incorrect data on 2 of the gauges. All 4 slots display readings, but MPG is at 9999, letting me know the "glitch" is occurring (if I look). I confirm the glitch by going into the menu and returning to the gauges, at which point upper left and lower right are blank. The displayed gauges are accurate and changing the specific gauge reading does not fix the problem.

When this happens, I park, turn off the ignition, wait for the sgii to turn off, restart and everything works fine.

This problem occurs intermittently and is easy to fix, but very annoying.

Quite often, I don't notice the problem until I'm already on the road and I'd rather not have to pull over and shut down to fix the glitch. Sometimes I don't and it messes up my overall data.

I've been dealing with this glitch since I started using the sgii 4 years ago. The frequency of the glitch is approximately once every 2-3 days.

I have the original firmware and would rather not update as the version provides everything I need.

I drive a 2001 Jetta GLS 2.0 4-Speed AT 01m with 163k miles, and it is well-maintained with no modifications.

For power, the sgii uses the the OBD connector. I also have a Sirius Sat radio powered from the "cigarette lighter".

1. Has anyone else experienced this glitch? I've searched and have not found a similar post. If so, were you able to fix it and how?

2. Is there a way to power down the sgii itself while driving, without resorting to disconnecting the unit? (I feel a little silly asking this, as one would think there indeed is a simple way to do this.)

Thanks for your help!

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Doverboy:

Besides pulling the plug, have you tried cycling through the gauges of the two that are not displaying correctly? Just a shot.

Given the age, contact Linear Logic and see if they are still offering the flash upgrades for a minimal charge.

IHTHs?

Wayne

3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I've had intermittent glitches with my SGII , but not many and not recently. The weirdest one was when it stuck at 9999 on the instant gauge for the last 80 miles of a 125 mile highway trip. I had a VERY nice number showing for the average MPG when I got home !

4. Doverboy

Doverboy Member

Wayne,

Yes, I have tried cycling through to no avail. At this point I can't imagine driving without my scangauge, so I'd rather not send it in. However, I emailed Linear Logic explaining the symptoms, etc. If they recommend the flash upgrade, then I suppose I will have to re-learn my driving without my "buddy".

I'm somewhat relieved to learn you aren't aware of a manner through which to power down the unit while driving. Still have the problem, but feel like less of a noob!

Edwin,

Yes, the 9999 makes for good computer records, but I go by my actual calculation from fillups in my spreadsheet to stay accurate. (Largely because I know I sometimes miss the glitch and it throws everything off!)

Any other suggestions?

I'll report back after I hear from Linear Logic.

Thanks!

5. jdk2

jdk2 Member

Could the cable from the OBDII port to the SG gone bad or has a loose connection inside?

6. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I do record all my tanks here at cleanmpg.

7. Doverboy

Doverboy Member

jdk2 - Yes, I suppose it could be a bad wire or connection. I have not tried swapping it out, but it might be the problem. It has been doing this ever since I first installed it, so at least it hasn't deteriorated. I'll check to see if I can purchase the cable from Linear Logic by itself.

Still no word back from Linear Logic regarding my email. I'll try them again should I not hear back my mid-week.

Thanks!

8. Doverboy

Doverboy Member

Thought I'd follow up here. LL responded but really didn't have any suggestion. I purchased a new cable and the problem is still present. I used compressed air to blow out any dust on the OBD connector as well. When hooked up to VCDS (VW Diagnostic Scanner) everything works fine, so I'm fairly confident the connector is fine.

I suppose my best bet is to suck it up and send my SGII to LL for an upgrade. I've been using it daily since I bought it (5 - 6 years ago? Don't remember), and at this point really don't relish the idea of driving without it for a week or two. (Yes, I realize that's ridiculous.) My unit came with firmware 3.15 installed so I'm hoping thew updated firmware will have some new features I can use.

Be well!