From Horsepower to Hybrids!

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by Massguy, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Massguy

Massguy New Member

How life has changed. A few years ago I was on forums where members displayed their 1/4 mile times. Many from modern day street cars eating up the 1320 in 12, 11 and sometimes 10 seconds or less. And now I'm frequenting forums where the members are traveling highways and byways in the slow lane, seeing 50+ MPG and loving life doing it. I'm starting to become one of them. New owner of a very lightly used 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. I just bought this 2 1/2 year old car with 6800 miles on the odometer. I can drive for mileage if I want to but after reading the forums over the last few weeks, I find that I still have a lot to learn. I doubt I'll ever see the max MPG that some of you do. I like the features that the car has so I have electronics running and try to stay close to the speed limit. But the tools are there if I want to use them to wring every last mile out of a gallon of gas.

2. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Welcome to CleanMPG!

You have a great car, especially on the highway.

One day gas will be expensive and it will serve you well, still.

3. Welcome. So, what was your 1/4mile time?
    I did it in 14.7@100.5 in my one ton work van :D

4. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

It's now a fuel economy, tech race - welcome to it !

5. Massguy

Massguy New Member

Best was 10.80 @ 130 in an LS1 Camaro.

That's big MPH for a van!

6. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Massguy:

Regarding your initial post, thank you.

Wayne

7. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

Haha I was the same way. After owning Viprs and 800HP Supra Turbos Im now driving to save fuel.

I still have my RX7 Twin Turbo which I won't part with.

8. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

MassGuy, welcome to CleanMPG! I saw you posting over on the Hyundai Forums and as you have gathered, real fuel economy tips are not very common over there. Glad to see you here, and I think you are going to find a lot of useful information.

Keep in mind that we're in the dead of winter and there are much better mpg numbers coming your way once the temperature gets back to shirt-sleeve weather. Compared to your old Cobalt, the HSH will be able to reach new heights you wouldn't have imagined - as long as you want to drive the car to that level. Hybrids do not give you great fuel economy, they offer you great fuel economy. It's up to you to make it happen. Ask lots of questions and don't be afraid to start with the basics and work your way up. It only gets better from here.

9. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

You should also get the software updated on the 2011 to 2013.

It should help MPG even more and heard it makes it drive better as well.

10. Massguy

Massguy New Member

Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to warmer temps. Besides being worn out by this Winter, I'd like to see what kind of mileage I can get when the thermometer is showing 50 degrees or higher.

I've been told two things about the software updating being done. I requested that it be done before I took delivery of the car. Spoke with the tech working on it and he told me it was done before. But when I looked at the paperwork for what they did, it showed it on there. So I don't know if it's really been done or not.

[​IMG]

11. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

WHOOOOO
    What is that in RWHP- something crazy like 600 ?

James- wow that is quick-Geez quicker than most dead stock muscle cars from the muscle car era- was that Duramax dead stock???
    7500 lb van 100 mph-wow!! Lot to be said for Torque I guess!!
    Heck that is about as fast as most 440 Mopars in those 3700 lb muscle cars(dead stock-obviously they could make a lot more power-and better gearing better tires)

Didn't you chip that van?

12. phoebeisis

6000 lbs 14.7 100.8mph- that is fast and quick.
    I used to read all those mags- Mechanics Illustrated and maybe some others-
    in the 1960's
    Not maybe cars in those days hit 100 mph and 14.7-not without some cheating from dead stock-pretty sure GTOs were maybe 90-92mph cars

Amazing what those big TD can do-yet still give good FE

13. Massguy

Massguy New Member

If I remember correctly it was in the mid-500 range then. It was an automatic and launched pretty good. The most that it made was 670ish at the rear wheels but I never ran it at the track after those upgrades.

14. phoebeisis

mid 500 hp-serious HP!!
    670-YIKES- probably what a restrictor plate NASCAR car makes