BMW US Motorcycle Sales up 16.5% in 2013

Discussion in 'Street and Performance Bikes' started by xcel, Jan 21, 2014.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Record Worldwide Sales Three Years in a Row

Hi All:

BMW Motorrad this morning reported it achieved a 16.5 percent increase in U.S. sales for 2013 – the second highest retail performance on record – with 14,100 units sold in 2013 compared to 12,100 units sold in 2012. Worldwide, BMW Motorrad sales reached a record high for the third year in a row with 115,191 units, up 8.3% over the previous record of 106,358 units in 2012.

BMW Motorrad’s double digit growth in the U.S. was fueled by sales of the new, award-winning water-cooled R 1200 GS enduro. BMW’s best-selling motorcycle (both in the U.S. and worldwide) accounted for more than 2,000 U.S. customer deliveries, revving up demand for the boxer model line by nearly 20 percent.

Other growth contributors include the newly introduced F 800 GS Adventure and F 800 GT models, which earned accolades from journalists and praise from adventure riders alike. Meanwhile, BMW Motorrad’s first entries into the scooter segment, the C 600 Sport and C 650 GT, became category leaders and top many of the “Best Of” lists.

Which allows me a few minutes to talk about the 2014 F 800 GS Adventure, one of my favorites.

Last May, BMW introduced the all-new F 800 GS Adventure, based on the off-road-oriented F 800 GS. This GS Adventure provides off-road-oriented touring and enduro riders an authentic GS Adventure experience but with a bit lighter and easier to handle bike with all the fixins of the 1200 GS and GS Adventure many are so fond of.

The F 800 GS Adventure is powered by the 85 hp and 61 lb.-ft. of torque liquid-cooled and fuel injected 798 cc twin with a closed-loop catalytic converter and six-speed transmission featured on the tried and true F 800 GS. Probably the only negative to the larger tank and higher seating position is the fact fuel economy has dropped from 62 to 55 mpg. I do not have the 6th gear ratio or sprocket sizes to see if that is where the large loss arises from.

Like the F 800 GS, the Adventure features a strong tubular steel frame, and a beefed up rear subframe to accommodate the larger, 6.3 gallon tank. The F 800 GS Adventure is also fitted with ABS as standard, with Automatic Stability Control (ASC) and Electronic Suspension Adjustment (ESA) as options.

The new F 800 GS Adventure is also available with Enduro mode as part of a package featuring ASC. With the push of a button, the rider can increase the slip threshold of the ABS and ASC systems when heading off-road.

2014 BMW F 800GS Adventure

[​IMG]
    Now that would be a great ride… Minus the leg breaking hard cases that is. ;)

Now if I could change the gearing a bit, I am sure a 500-mile tank would be available. 500 miles on a bike is a big deal.

Wayne

2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I've never done more than 222 miles on a tank , and THAT was tough. Especially when you run thru six tanks in one day.

3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member