Warren Buffett's Chinese Cars Are Coming to the U.S. - Would you buy one?

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by JohnM, Jan 13, 2014.

1. JohnM

JohnM Well-Known Member

2. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Re : Warren Buffett's Chinese Cars Are Coming to the U.S. - Would you buy one?

In the interest of fair play,

... if they want to build a 50/50 joint venture factory here and manufacture cars here ,... then I guess we could all sit down to a nice Peking duck dinner and discuss a car sale.

Otherwise, Warren and his Chinese buddies can go duck themselves.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Good one ! I like Warren Buffet , but I'm not likely to buy his cars.

4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Better not
    Bad enough we are buying their poison dog food-poison toothpaste-crummy fasteners-
    and they recently sickened 300,000 Chinese babies-intentional melamine contamination of baby formula(melamine has N in it-crude protein"test" actually tested for N)
    The actually POISONED MILLIONS of babies-but "just" 300,000 were sickened.

So there is ZERO chance they would not put a defective dangerous component on your car-
    IF THEY THINK they can get away with it!!
    Chinese folks here in the USA- very nice-in China-obviously not so nice. If you aren't family-....

5. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

I would not purchase one and by the time I might I'll be out of here. H

6. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

There's a very short list of foreign manufacturers I'd buy a car from, and none of them are based in China. Although one of my favorite brands, Buick is very popular in China, and Chinese buyers and American senior citizens have very similar tastes in vehicles, so it is possible that Buick may actually successfully sell some Chinese made cars in the US. Chinese designers already have a huge influence in Buick's new models.

7. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

Yes I like Buicks as well. H

8. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

Not just Buicks but as a whole GM sells more cars in China than in the U.S..

9. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I might be wrong , but I think the General is already selling vehicles here that have Chinese-made transmissions. Chevrolet Equinox, maybe ?

10. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

Its one thing for Chinese components, but 100% Chinese made? Or Chinese designed & built? Actually, the Chinese do a pretty damn good job of reverse engineering, and Chinese patent law is written to pretty much allow it.

11. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Geely has been trying to do the same thing to Volvo (which they bought from Ford). The higher end of the Chinese market gravitates toward gaudy, rhinestone-encrusted status monstrosities suitable for proclaiming domination over all others who dare drive. (Actually, that disease sounds kinda familiar.) They want Volvo to build them an "S100" to fill that niche. Meanwhile Volvo's execs in Sweden have been all "You want us to do what?. You can't park that at Ikea!" Last I heard they were still arguing, though I assume Sweden will inevitably lose when Geely gets bored and installs their own executives. Come to think of it, Volvo would be a contender for the first brand to sell Chinese-made (at a Geely plant) cars in the US. I don't feel great about it.

12. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

The only Volvo I have any interest in owning at all is a 240 wagon. None of their recent offerings are appealing to me.