Winter/Spring of 2013/2014

Discussion in 'Website news & discussions' started by xcel, Dec 28, 2013.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

I am seeing some brutally cold temperatures approaching the Midwest between early Monday morning and New Year's. So what would I do? Besides trying to purchase a brand new and loaded 13 Sonata Hybrid Limited or Kia Optima Hybrid EX to drive out to California, I made a request of Audi to drive the 2014 Q5 TDI for a few days in order to catch this winters coming freak show up close and personal. :) It is going to be as low as - 20 degrees F in Stevens Point, WI and that is only 200 miles North of where I am today. This could be a fascinating all-night drive if a Q5 TDI is not already spoken for by another journalist in the Chicago area.

2014 Audi Q5 TDI

[​IMG]
    At the Washington DC event.​

Weather Forecast for Steven’s Point, WI.

Sun Dec 29

Day: 13
    Night: -16
    Few Snow Showers / Wind
    CHANCE OF SNOW: 50%
    WIND: NNW at 19 mph

Mon Dec 30
    Day: +0
    Night: -12
    Partly Cloudy
    CHANCE OF SNOW: 10%
    WIND: W at 9 mph

Tue Dec 31
    Day: +2
    Night: -20
    Partly Cloudy
    WIND: NW at 7 mph

Wed Jan 1
    Day: +3
    Night: -12
    Mostly Sunny
    WIND: NW at 6 mph

2014 Audi Q5 TDI

[​IMG]

Wayne

2. xcel

Hi All:

All the Q5 TDIs are being moved to Las Vegas for the 2014 Consumer Electronic Show (CES) so no availability in the Chicago Press Fleet. :(

Wayne

3. bummer.

Coldest I ever had my diesel in started out in WI one winter. Parked for the night at the Love Truck Stop at 90/94. Woke up it was -9F. Decided to get moving, and started heading west. Dropped to -27F as I crossed MN.
    BRRRRRRRRRR

4. xcel

Hi James:

Excellent story! I was hoping to possibly drive further North to catch even colder temps. I really do not have the gear for those kinds of extremes however.

Wayne

5. I didnt have any gear either, other than normal winter clothes. Wasnt prepared for that cold! Stopped at one point and added some anti gel to the fuel. Other than that, just kept the truck moving and the heat on.

6. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I'll drive one from Herndon to Vegas... ;)

7. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

I've started diesel pickups in -20F temps a few times. Mine always had glow plugs and I would put in a can of fuel conditioner when it was that cold. The only time I had any trouble was when the mechanic had used the wrong grade of motor oil in the company truck at the previous change. Even then all I had to do was crank a little longer and let it warm up for about a minute before driving off.

8. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

Come to Winnipeg, it's -22F right now ;)

9. I was a bit paranoid that trip. I had put an extra fuel cooler on the the truck, right behind the grill. Was going to bypass it before winter started, as hot fuel was only a hot summer while towing issue. In the name of science and experimentation, I said 'screw it, lets see what happens if I leave it on all winter'.

Nothing. Nothing happened. Only the excitement of being paranoid about breaking down from gelled fuel in -27F in the middle of nowhere MN.

10. xcel

Hi All:

While the Audi Q5 TDI fell through for some arctic temp testing since they were all in Vegas for CES, I am receiving a 14 Corolla LE with the CVT for a week to drive to Detroit for the 2014 NAIAS and back beginning Friday. Not the ECO version however. :(

2014 Toyota Corolla LE Plus

[​IMG]
    Driven at the short lead in San Diego last year.​

Wayne

11. haha. It's a '14. You must have typo'd the PM. I thought it was odd you got an '03 Corolla to drive here.