[another] Honda CR-Z owner

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by HondaHolly, Dec 27, 2013.

1. HondaHolly

HondaHolly Red&Black

Hello all,

I just joined this forum today. I am not new to forums. You can find me with the same username at hondacivicforum, crzforum, and envirolink.org/forum.

December 2012, I bought a certified pre-owned 2011 Honda CR-Z EX with the CVT transmission option. I am the second owner, and hope to keep this as long as I can. I love everything about it, especially the MPG! EPA ratings have it all wrong. In my signature is a link to my Fuelly account which has all of my fill-ups and associated MPGs since I have owned the car.

In the future I hope to have a second vehicle, and also make it a hybrid! :)

2. Welcome to the forum!

3. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi HondaHolly and welcome to the forum to me too!
    I'm a multi Honda owner in the UK. Looking on Fuelly if you use some of the techniques mentioned on this forum I can't see why couldn't get 45+ easily :D

This is me on Fuelly - frv - I'm still learning ;)

4. HondaHolly

HondaHolly Red&Black

My fuelly readings for the last two months have been less than what I stated in my first post due to: weather. It is winter and it hasn't been above 35 deg Fahrenheit in a month. In fact, its been below freezing now for almost 2 weeks. My mpgs drop by about 5 due to cold weather. Not much can be done about this. My drive to work is only 8 miles, and my drive to school is only 4 miles. Not enough time for the engine to warm up, I'm afraid.

5. Bennett

Bennett Well-Known Member

Hi Holly!

Everyone here is keen on improving fuel economy - Wayne Gerdes has done crazy things with the 6MT CR-Z but using techniques that aren't necessarily for everyone. I learned a ton of stuff here about the HCH then actually backed off a bit to get a better balance of easy driving versus efficiency (hypermiling is actually hard work to do it right!)

I went to the Dark Side a bit with the CR-Z but you'll find everything here from Leaf owners to pickup trucks and the principles are mostly the same whatever you drive, even if the techniques differ.

The "official" cleanmpg review here http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33372&page=3

6. HondaHolly

HondaHolly Red&Black

I am currently reading through the thread on Hypermiling techniquesby Wayne. Happy to come across a few thins I already do out of habit with the CR-Z's regenerative/engine braking: "Slowing for/with traffic or traffic signals: Have ever heard that if you move half the distance to the goal line again and again you will never reach said goal line? The same can be said for your speed when coming to a stop. What you want to attempt is to continue slowing before you actually stop until the light changes to green and you can re-accelerate without having to do so from a stop."

7. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

You seem to be on the right track , Holly. I also found that I was already using several techniques for years. You have a great car for hypermiling !

Keep up the good work.