2013 Kia Optima Hybrids for up to $8,000 Off?

Discussion in 'Kia' started by xcel, Dec 25, 2013.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

There are local dealerships loaded up to their rafters with both Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima Hybrids.

The Hyundai dealership just down the street from me has 82 Sonata Hybrids including (5) 2012s they are sitting on. The Kia dealership has 39 13 Optima Hybrids in their inventory.

In the case of the Kia dealership, they are blowing them out. Like $32,500 fully loaded EXs for < $25K. $26K LXs for < $20k advertised on the radio. The online pricing is just $1k more than that.

These kind of prices make for one hell of a tempting purchase.

Marian's is interested in a 13 Red Sonata Hybrid Limited with gray or beige interior or a 13 White Optima Hybrid with the Beige upper/black lower EX trim.

The deals are flowing in case someone is interested.

I wonder if the Hybrid offerings are going to be eliminated now that other manufacturers are close to reaching the Highway level of FE and are not so far off the city marks?

Wayne

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  2. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

Re: 2013 Kia Optima Hybrids for up to $8,000 Off

Brand new for $20K? That's a hell of a deal. As you know, I'm generally not a foreign car guy, but if I was in the market, I'd strongly consider it.

3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Hyundai/Kia needs to go back to their CAD stations and/or decide how bad they really want to compete with Honda-Yota for the hybrid market. The hybrids they're desperately trying to unload now don't quite cut the mustard.

4. fishnrib

fishnrib Christian

Hi Wayne,
    Hyundai announced on December 4 that it released a 2014 version of Sonata Hybrid that features some changes in interior and exterior designs and improvements inconvenience features.

It dosen't look like there is going to be any change to the hybrid drive train so you might want to pass on the new extra features and get a great deal on the 2013. We still have the best looking car at the mall.

http://thekoreancarblog.com/2013/12/05/hyundai-debuts-2014-sonata-hybrid-in-south-korea/

5. xcel

Hi Edwin:

In our many drives behind the wheel of the 11, 12, and 13 Sonata Hybrid plus the GWR drive in the Kia Optima Hybrid, the Hybrid variants are serious competitors. Not quite up to the same level as that of the Accord but they will go toe to toe with a Camry Hybrid on the highway and do so with a much nicer interior, exterior, far more roomy, and far more features for the price. The only three Achilles heels I can think of is it will not match the Camry Hybrid or Accord Hybrid around town. A dead heat with the real world of the Fusion Hybrid on the highway and probably falls back around town by a good margin for the average driver. The cargo capacity (trunk volume) is severely limits. It is in the Camry, Fusion, and Accord Hybrids as well.

Here are the results with two of my last drives within the confines of the Sonata Hybrid to give you an idea.

2013 Hyundai Sonata Review

[​IMG]
    Sonata Hybrid trunk packed for the cross country drive.

[​IMG]
    Lots of room in the D-segment's class leader when it comes to interior volume.

[​IMG]
    2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Review highway drive - 51.2 mpg over 171 miles at 58 mph avg speed - 52.4 mpg actual

[​IMG]
    2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Review maximum effort - 92.7 mpg over 13.0 mile RT city loop.

[​IMG]
    See the > 40 mpg result at 70 mph?​

The maximum effort drive will beat both the Fusion and Camry hybrids but this was in an early 13 Sonata Hybrid with the drivability improvement flash but not the N-Glide removal flash. The latest flash removing N-Glide will not allow this level of fuel economy by a long shot unfortunately.

2011 Kia Optima Hybrid Review

[​IMG]
    Great ergonomics, all the switches are backlit, and there is almost a Passat level of real world interior volume.

[​IMG]
    Trunk is small.​

I never could figure out why the Optima Hybrid EX falls back by 1 mpg city/highway (35/39 city/highway) vs. the LX at 36/40 mpgUS city/highway. 17’s are killers on a B or C-segment but are usually not that harsh to the EPA on a D-segment vehicle.

Tom, I did not see anything regarding this on the Sonata Hybrid for a near term U.S. release while the regular 2014 Sonata updates were announced in September? Then again, the 13 Sonata Hybrid was delayed until after February of this year with all of the ECU changes while the 13 Sonata was announced in the fall of 2012.

In either case, I might just go have a visit with this dealer (I have dealt with them in the past) and find out if this is a typical dealership smokescreen or the "Real Deal". Sounds like a heck of a bargain on the Optima. Too bad the Sonata Hybrids are not priced as aggressively because Marian wants a red one. Optima Hybrids only comes in black, white, and silver.

Wayne

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  6. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

I looked at a local dealer and didn't see that mark down online? Must be dealers in other states or major city's?

7. xcel

Hi George:

I would not expect to see these kinds of discounts in California either. It could be a local thing but I was surprised by the discounts available and even more so by the sheer numbers on local dealership lots. No way would a dealership order that many hybrids over the course of a year unless there was a really big carrot attached.

The local Hyundai dealership still has 5 brand new 2012's on his lot although he is not advertising anything like the deals the local Kia dealer is.

A new 2013 Kia Optima Hybrid EX with the Panoramic roof, self leveling HIDs, power folding mirrors, leather trim, 8-way power heated and cooled front (4-way passenger) and heated rear seats, heated wheel, very high end UVO system with 7 in screen and back up camera, smart key, rear view camera, auto dimming rear view w/ compass, a TSP + on the 2013 IIHS crash test ratings (no 14 TSP+ rating due to lack of auto stop/warning) and the Hybrid drivetrain for around $25k + D&H and TTL? Sounds almost too good to be true.

They are closed today but I might head over there to get the real story tomorrow. How many times have we all seen $2,500 added onto the price of a car for $100 worth of VIN etching, pinstrping, wheel locks, undercoating, paint sealant, and Scotchgard or they are all demo’s with 8,000 or more miles and hail damage?

[​IMG]

The prices listed on the website are higher than the radio advertisements and the Request Sales Price should bring that number out. I suspect there is some funny business involved here but we will see. Too bad the local Hyundai dealer is not offering similar savings and they have 82 Sonata Hybrids they will never get rid of on their lot just down the street.

Wayne

8. xcel

Hi All:

I called and the numbers are real with no BS attached. At least by phone they said that.

I also called the local Hyundai dealership and they were willing to drop $5K off before I said anything. I will provide some more detail later as I am looking to see if these deals really are legit as these are worth members driving a distance for given the various high end attributes, FE capability, and especially the price.

Wayne

9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Abandoning the PiP?

10. xcel

Hi Colin:

Nope. My son and her have been sharing it and he graduates in 5 months.

Wayne

11. xcel

Hi Al:

First glitch, "The advertised one has 5,100 miles" ... OK, that is not going to work. They are looking for another of the 43 they have on their lot.

Lowest deal prices are for demo's with 1,500 + miles. Sorry, no deal.

Tens of 13 Optima Hybrids on their lot with 1,500 to 5,100 miles and these were "dealership demos"?

We have all visited dealerships to test drive a car and if you drive more than 10 miles on a loop, some salesman get nervous in order to keep the miles down. Tens of Optima Hybrids with these kinds of miles does not spell dealership demos to me but more like press cars auctioned to dealerships. That is one way in which manufacturers move their press fleet inventory. The dealership insisted these were their demos and I asked the sales manager three times after saying no to purchasing any with over 1,000 miles.

A car with over 1,000 miles is used and should have been advertised as that. Especially after I questioned them on the phone about being new before wasting an hour to drive out there and back. :(

A super deal will come another day. Just not from this dealership.

Wayne

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  12. CmaxVsPrius

CmaxVsPrius Moderator

A dealer in my area of WI has 2013 Optima LX hybrids for $24K, $27.5 MSRP with 7 miles on them. And EX for $28.6K, $33K MSRP. I don't see the anything online with more than about a $4,600 discount.

But how about a $36K MSRP Cmax Energi PHEV with $5K off and another $4K tax credit? Could be had for $27K. Or about as low as $24K if you get it base with just SEL leather etc.

I know, you would not be to happy with its hybrid mpg or it's looks.

13. xcel

Hi Roger:

The KOH or HSH at $5k off is an OK deal but the competition has arrived.

C-Max Energi is a good deal if you can stand being lied too. I cannot and wouldn't touch it. The rear cargo cap is also severely cramped.

It looks like I will be buying a 15 Golf TDI or 15 Prius PHEV-20 sometime next year.

A new fully loaded KOH EX or HSH Limited for < $25K is a bargain! Not to be however as it looks like $5k off is nearing the real deal.

Wayne

14. xcel

Hi All:

Heading out first thing in the morning to try and purchase the Sonata Hybrid... Marian wants a panoramic roof equipped Limited and not one of the 82 they have on their lot has that. Cannot seem to find that roof on anything in 3 states either? :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Wayne

15. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

That roof is a nice option. My dads has it on it on his Optima.

I'm confused? Is this the same Marian that has a Prius Plug-In?

16. xcel

Hi George:

Yup.

Wayne

17. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Hmmm

Wayne
    The Prius is the only HOME RUN hybrid.
    The rest of them-don't sell so well.

Now that the MPG difference has narrowed
    AND most importantly-gas is CHEAP- no really market for $3000-$4000 premium hybrids that only improve mpg by 20%-25%.

Yeah-cheap gas and fossil fuels means all alternatives are in trouble.
    Wind is going to die again because of frakin' NG etc.
    Short sighted of course-but doubt president Obama will be interested in fighting the republicans on Wind Turbines
    So our wind turbine manufacturers (if we have any)will shut down-seed it to the chinese for the next wind boom.
    Not so bad-maybe we can just steal their technology next time-their solar panels are going for peanuts...probably was a smart move to not manufacture solar panels here-
    Any break thrus-we can just steal-forget that intellectual property BS

18. xcel

Hi All:

Met with Andrew Harris, Gurnee Hyundai's new car manager, this morning. He offered new 13 Sonata Hybrid Limited for $24,250 incl. D&H. That is $8,095 off MSRP. Unfortunately, of the 82 Sonata Hybrids on his lot, he has no 13 Sonata Hybrid Limiteds with the Panoramic roof for $1K more. He was searching out to 7 states for a dark gray or white with gray interior. :(

[​IMG]
    Andrew Harris, Gurnee Hyundai's new car manager.​

I received a call few minutes after I had left informing me he had found a new 2013 Dark Silver with Grey leather interior and Panoramic roof in Ohio. He is trying to make the deal at $25,650 including D&H so I will be paying $400 for the transport of a 13 Sonata Hybrid Limited out and the 13 Sonata Hybrid Limited with Panoramic roof back to Gurnee. All so I can drive it out to Calif. next week. :rolleyes:

It is not a done deal yet but it is pretty close. If it works out, I will spell out the details here in case anyone is interested in a new 13 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited or Base (< $20K for those) for a great deal.

Here are a few features of the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited with the Panoramic roof.
    • 17-inch alloys
    • Rearview camera
    • Panoramic sunroof
    • Proximity Key
    • Folding heated power side mirrors with turn-signal indicators
    • Jeweled projector-type headlights with LED accents
    • Automatic headlights
    • Solar Control Glass
    • Front fog lights
    • Gloss black door surround and outside mirror housing
    • LED tail lights
    • Dual automatic temperature control with outside temperature display
    • 400-watt AM/FM/CD/MP3 with Infinity Speakers, subwoofer and external amplifier and SiriusXM Satellite Radio
    • HD Radio
    • Navigation system with 7-inch touchscreen
    • iPod/USB and auxiliary input jacks
    • Leather seating surfaces
    • 8-way power driver seat with lumbar support
    • Heated front seats
    • Heated rear seats
    • 4.2-inch multi-function color trip computer and hybrid technology display
    • Hyundai BlueLink Telematics
    • Bluetooth hands-free phone system
    • Dual illuminated vanity mirrors
    • Auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink integrated transceiver and compass
    • Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
    • Tilt-and-telescopic steering wheel
    • Steering-wheel-mounted audio, phone and cruise controls
    • Premium door sill plates
    Wayne

19. xcel

Hi Tom:

I might be joining you. :)

Wayne

20. xcel

Hi All:

It appears that Marian will receive a belated Christmas present. My offer of $25,000 incl. D&H for a new Hyper Silver Metallic 2013 Sonata Hybrid Limited with the Panoramic roof and mats was accepted by phone about 30-minutes ago. Still waiting for the sales contract on this $32,635 MSRP HSH Ltd. by e-mail to verify no funny business however.

2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited in Black Onyx

[​IMG]
    We drove this one to deduce higher speed results last fall.​

Marian wanted either Porcelain white or the Hyper Silver Metallic (darker gray). I would have preferred white but they only had a demo in that color with > 5,000 miles which was a non-starter.

2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited in Porcelain White

[​IMG]
    A great ride last spring. This is the one that provided the 95 mpg result city RT loop result.​

Doubtful Marian and Scott will ever receive anything like that but I suspect they should achieve the std. 40 fairly regularly in San Diego.

Wayne