Phantom Vampire Electric Drain Tesla S

Discussion in 'BEV or Battery Electric Vehicle' started by waltermlee, Nov 27, 2013.

1. waltermlee

waltermlee Well-Known Member

Tesla finds a monkey wrench in the Tesla S ....

http://www.greencarreports.com/news...even-after-update-vampire-draw-remains/page-2

Three overnight tests with a kwh meter on a Tesla S Sedan after a full charge (80 percent) resulted in a vampire losses of 2.3 kWh in 17 hours, 1.9 kWh in 23 hours, and 4.2 kWh in 18 hours. A Total vampire power lost was 8.4 kWh in 58 hours. Tesla says that the phantom drain is not due to any battery management issues ( the battery management is turned off when the car is turned off) rather Tesla suggest that the phantom drain is cause by senors triggering the Tesla S sedan on board computers to do a pre-boot ( equivalent to a cold-start for an ICE). Tesla is aware of the problem and is looking into how to repair it.

2. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

My Volvo has the same problem and I tracked it down to the security system on the radio.
    It sucked to have to buy a new $120 battery every two years. A battery mender solved the problem.

My question is how long has this car been on the market and they're just now finding this problem?

Isn't this the car that turns into a $40K to repair brick if the battery dies? :rolleyes:

3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Or is this an isolated incident that may or may not represent every Model S ?

In Elon We Trust.

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

5. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

GM and Nissan seem to have figured out a way to make their cars start up instantly without a similar 24/7 power drain. odd a multibillion-dollar company in Silicon Valley couldn't figure out a way to do that, too, hope Tesla has a good crisis management team.

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

They've done enough since last winter that 120V is more than enough to maintain charge.