2015 Chevrolet Colorado Reveal Includes a 2.8L Turbo Diesel

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Nov 22, 2013.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG]Smaller midsize truck with a smaller turbo diesel should create one heck of a story once it arrives. :)

[fflash=left]http://www.youtube.com/v/-XkUGs-OEE4?version=3[/fflash]Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - Nov. 20 2013

The 2015 Chevrolet Colorado reveal from the floor of the LA Auto Show.

On Wednesday morning Chevrolet unveiled its all-new midsize 2015 Chevrolet Colorado pickup that is expected to deliver best in class power, payload, tow ratings and even fuel economy.

2015 Chevrolet Colorado Drivetrain

The Chevrolet Colorado will be equipped with a standard direct injected 193 hp and 184 lb-ft of torque 2.5L I4 or optional direct injected 302 hp and 270 lb-ft of torque 3.6L V6 are both mated to 6-speed ATs. A 6-speed MT will be available on the extended cab 2WD Work Truck. That could prove to be an interesting vehicle too. ;)

With the 3.6L V6 and a low ratio rear end, it is said to have a tow rating of as high as 6,700 pounds.

Where it really gets interesting is a small displacement 2.8L turbo diesel is scheduled for sometime in 2015. Anyone think 34 mpg or more highway rating and 50 + mpg available to us? The Cruze TD and its 2.0L TD proved to be the most exceptional high speed fuel economy machine we have ever driven. Could the 2.8L prove to be just as eye opening? GMs latest offerings including the 24 mpgUS highway rated AFM based 4.3L in the 2014 Silverado easily provided a mid 30’s result. Do the math and it looks very promising. The Fuel Economy of a midsize with all the capabilities of a truck sure sounds good to me! :)

Configurations and Trims

The 2015 Colorado will arrive as an extended cab model with a 6-foot bed, a crew cab with a 5-foot bed and a crew cab with a 6-foot bed. With the tailgate down, the 6-foot bed allows hauling of 8-foot-long items.

A WT, LT and Z71 trim will be available in either a 2WD or 4WD configuration.

2015 Chevrolet Colorado on the show stand

The Colorado features triple-sealed doors inlaid in the body sides. The 2014 Silverado proved to be the quietest large pickup we have driven and I suspect no less from the upcoming 2015 Colorado.

To help keep its mass down, the Colorado features an aluminum hood. It also features the segment’s only active aero grille shutters, which close at higher speeds to improve aerodynamics.

Like the 14 Silverado, the 15 Colorado is equipped with the excellent CornerStep rear bumper. The damped EZ Lift-and-Lower tailgate we saw on the 14 Silverado. A standard two-tier platform splits the bed into an upper and lower sections while loads can be tied down from 13 tie-down locations loaded strategically in the bed.

The cabin includes a sculpted headliner that improves headroom, halo lighting on some controls. It will arrive with sculpted door panels, upper-instrument panel storage bin (when not equipped with the uplevel audio system) and large glove box.

2015 Chevrolet Colorado Interior

An 8 in. color touch screen is standard in the LT and Z71 trims including multiple USB drives. The instrument cluster incorporates a 3.4 in. driver information screen. GMs next generation OnStar and MyLink with gesture recognition and natural language voice recognition will be part of the package.

Front, side, and side curtain airbags handle the passive crash safety. A standard rear-vision camera takes care of the backing out problem.

On the active safety front, the new Colorado will be fitted with ESC with rollover mitigation, trailer sway control, hill start assist and hill descent control on the Z71. An optional forward collision alert and lane departure warning system will be available.

Four-wheel discs featuring GMs Duralife rotors with up to double the service life will be standard.

Early Conclusions?

The crew cab appears to have about 115 cu. ft. of interior volume which is just as large as any standard midsize sedan. Having a bed adds all of the utility. Even the 2.5L with the stick would prove to be exceptionally fuel efficient although I suspect it would be geared to low to meet our expectations. The 2.8L Turbo diesel however could prove to be the game changer that brings an every day use family sized vehicle with the capability of the pickup. Something Pickups are very hard pressed to offer today. The 2014 RAM 1500 equipped with the 3.0L EcoDiesel not withstanding.
  2. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

This is about the same size as the 80's model C1500. It ain't no "small" truck. It's a smaller truck, and that is a good thing. If they do end up offering the diesel, I'd have to do test drives between this and a Tacoma to know which I'd prefer.

if I were to buy a truck... ;)
  3. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

Wonder why they are using the 3.6 instead of the newly updated 4.3. More efficient?
  4. Wonder what the pricing is going to be? $40,000+ for a crew cab diesel?
  5. PaleMelanesian

That's what I read somewhere, yes.
  6. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

The 3,6 never struck me as being that efficient, though. Between the 3,6l-powered Traverses and 5,3l Tahoes I used to be able to compare along the same routes (using the factory FCD, anyway), I was hardly able to best the Tahoes. Both garnered around 21-22mpg, compared to ~37 for Altimas and V6 Mustangs, ~41 for Sonatas, ~45 for Fiestas and 1,4T Cruzes, etc.

LOVE to hear about the TD in this! We sorely need more like it.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  7. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

I never checked out any of the GMC trucks but next year will look over that diesel.
  8. tribosessive

tribosessive Well-Known Member

I have been waiting for a vehicle of this type for years and years. The Mahindra story was downright depressing. I would like a 2.0L 4cyl TDI 6MT regular cab , with eye popping torque and mpg please. Oh yeah and an extra large gas err fuel tank.
  9. tribosessive

GM now says 6MT will be more available across the product line than previously announced. This will make the choice between gas or diesel more interesting. Is the 2.4L I4 going to be GDI? I am curious , although durability, range and MPGs make the 2.8L GDI 6MT my choice.
  10. xcel

Hi All:

Really good stuff!

I spoke with Chevrolet's Head of Consumer Affairs, James Bell for about a minute in Chicago. It sounds that there is a lot of interest in the 2.8L TD. Chevrolet is moving the launch date for it up a few weeks to Spring/Summer of 2015. IIRC, they were talking summer of 2015 previously.

11. xcel

Hi All:

< $33k for the base LT CrewCab with the 2.8L Duramax Turbo Diesel.

12. tribosessive

Six speed MT Access Cab and not so pricey please. Actually make that a regular cab for parking in the Financial District in San Francisco. C'mon, just throw the golf clubs in the back. :D
  13. PaleMelanesian

I went to the configurator before this came out and looked at towing and payload capacity. The gas 4-cylinder is NOT rated for towing. What?!@!! My minivan is rated 3500 lb. This is a truck!
  14. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

That's the General's way of saying you "need" a six-cylinder. Or heck , you really want a Silverado , doncha ?
  15. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Well, Chevy's reason for people to buy the Colorado was because "you know you want a truck". They didn't even try to sell it based on specs, because obviously they do want people to buy larger, higher-margin pickups. Car companies continue to sucker Americans when it comes to towing..
  16. xcel

Meet the new Most Fuel Efficient Pickup in North America

Hi All:

2016 Chevrolet Colorado Duramax Turbo Diesel

RWD variant earns an 22/31 mpgUS city/highway rating.​

This morning Chevrolet announced that their RWD 2016 Colorado with the 181 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque 2.8L Duramax turbo-diesel mated to the standard 6-speed AT is the most fuel efficient pickup in America. With its 21-gallon fuel tank, the RWD model offers an estimated maximum highway range of 650+ miles per tank.

The 2016 Colorado diesel 2WD is rated at 22/31/25 mpgUS city/highway/combined. The 4WD model offers an EPA estimated 20/29/23 mpgUS city/highway/combined.

The RWD/4WD Colorado Duramax turbo diesel can tow up to 7,700/7,600 pounds respectively with the available trailering package.

GM stated the Hydra-Matic 6L50 6-speed AT incorporates a Centrifugal Pendulum Vibration Absorber in the torque converter to reduce powertrain NVH.

A variable-geometry turbocharger helps optimize power and efficiency across the rpm band, while a balance shaft contributes to smoothness. Colorado’s diesel can also be fueled on B20.

A smart diesel exhaust brake and an integrated trailer brake controller are also part of the all-new drivetrain.

The Colorado diesel goes on sale later this fall, offered in LT and Z71 Crew Cab models, with 2WD or 4WD. Pricing for the diesel engine option is $3,730 more than a comparably equipped 3.6L V-6 model.