Biggest-ever load transported on Britain's roads weighing more than a SPACE SHUTTLE

Discussion in 'Traffic and Safety' started by Gord, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

The biggest load ever transported on Britain's road caused traffic chaos last weekend - thanks to cargo which is heavier than a space shuttle.

An enormous transformer was carried from Didcot power station, but was transported at just 4mph as it weighs an earth-shattering 640 TONNES.

The huge vehicle is 100m (328') long and 5m (16.5') wide and took up two lanes of the motorway while it crawled to its final destination at walking pace.

It began its slow journey in Oxfordshire on Friday, causing 13-mile long tailbacks when it wound its way along the M4 on Saturday.

[​IMG]

On Sunday it continued along the M32 to the transformer's final destination at Avonmouth Docks, Bristol, arriving at 6pm.

A spokesman for Wiltshire Police said: 'Police vehicles had to ensure the road and traffic ahead was managed to ensure there was no conflict with the load.

'There are only a few locations where traffic could pass. Police asked motorists to avoid the area and plan alternative travel routes.'

The generator transformer is the second and largest of three being removed from Didcot power station as part of its decommissioning programme.

The first was moved at the beginning of the month.

Read more

2. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Re: Biggest-ever load transported on Britain's roads weighing more than a SPACE SHUTT

Wow!

I count 16 wheels on the right rear of the carrier. Assuming they're all dual-tire, that means 128 wheels in all carrying the load.

3. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

Re: Biggest-ever load transported on Britain's roads weighing more than a SPACE SHUTT

I bet my Prius C can pull this 1mm!

4. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

put me down for 2mm - lol

5. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

My bicycle could pull this three microns.

6. Shadab Kamal

Shadab Kamal New Member

This is very nice post thanks!:bananalama:

7. CapriRacer

CapriRacer Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that heavy loads being moved on land are compared to objects that fly. That seems counter-intuitive.

8. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Space shuttles were never really able to "fly." More like they fell out of the sky in a direction of the pilot's choosing.