SHM in a MINI?

Discussion in 'BMW' started by some_other_dave, Sep 27, 2013.

1. some_other_dave

some_other_dave Well-Known Member

I've played with my driving a little bit in my 2012 MINI Cooper. (It's a "Justa" according to some MINI folks--as in "Just a Cooper, not an S or JCW." I like the term Justa, actually.) I think I have found something suspiciously similar to SHM in my car.

Here's the scenario: Accelerate up to an upper speed (I'm too intimidated to tell you what it is!) at ~75 LOD, then back off the throttle to get a LOD of 26-28. This produces 50 MPG+ instantaneous on the ScanGauge, and the car will tend to bleed off speed much more slowly than NICE-on coasting. When my speed hits my lower mark, I increase the LOD to ~75 again, and repeat the cycle. On some stretches of my commute (especially going in to work), I can go for a mile or more without appreciably losing speed.

Couple that with a decent start getting out to the freeway, and I can get close to 50 MPG for my commute without really doing more than this technique, and shutting off at lights. Traffic can significantly alter that, of course. I'm not sure if that alone is responsible for the technique being much less effective on my way home, or if there is a subtle slope there.

-soD

2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

You've just described my main daily technique.

3. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

That'd be what I do, if I had a manual. As it is, I tend to keep a certain TPS reading which gives a blend of decent acceleration (most drivers would disagree) and fine top speed (most drivers would still disagree...gets me around 5mph below PSL). It nets me 46-48mpg to work and around 44-47 on the way home. Mine's mostly 55-60PSL highway though with some pesky signals close to home and the rest largely being a smooth ride with rolling hills. With chip seal being o popular around here, I have few meaningful glides, though TxDOT seems to b shifting away from that in some areas.

As someone born in Fremont and raised in Milpitas, I can't see how you do it out there. The signals are terribly timed and the freeways are clogged up badly during normal commute hours. 101, 680, 880, 237, 85...good luck. 280 might be ok...done slightly double the PSL on that one before the speed limiter halted any further space-time continuum disruptions. It was during non-commute hours around Sand Hill Rd. in Palo Alto, with M3s, Corvettes, and 911s still passing me, so I have this impression of it always being a fast highway, though I am sure there's no such thing there ;).

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  4. some_other_dave

some_other_dave Well-Known Member

For the most part, 280 still moves. 101 frequently tries to imitate a parking lot. I'm going counter-commute, though, so it's easier. Ditto 237, I'm going counter-commute so traffic is merely bad, instead of unspeakably horrible.

One of my "secret weapons" for hypermiling is Foothill Expressway. Good condition, moderate PSL (45 MPH), without too many lights, and nice rolling hills to help your P&G out. Too bad I can't use it for my commute, since it's in the wrong direction. Central Expressway is similar in many ways, but is more crowded.

-soD