2013 Prius PHEV-11 “Deals” Are Back

Discussion in 'Automotive Hot Deals' started by xcel, Sep 24, 2013.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Plug-in for $25K, standard package 2 for $26K, Plug-in for $25K, standard package 2 for $26K... I'll take the_PHEV please. :)

[​IMG]Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - Sept. 24, 2013

Prius PHEV-11 on the plug - $33,085 to start including D&H and mats while providing 11 miles range on the plug and 50 mpg on gasoline here in the US.

And don’t dare pay anything even remotely close to MSRP! As of now, many East Coast residents can take advantage of a decent lease deal that can be converted to your own for a pretty darn good deal.

Lease a new 2013 Prius Plug-In for $179 a month and $1,820 down (first months $179 included in that down payment) and $0 security deposit.

Where it gets interesting is this: The monthly payments of $179 for 35 months total $6,265. At the end of your lease, you can purchase your Prius PHEV for $17,280 or a grand total of $25,365! Why would you purchase a standard Prius for more?

Prius PHEV Details

The 2013 Prius Plug-in is powered by the same efficient full hybrid powertrain as the standard Prius with a twist. That being a much larger Li-Ion traction battery allows a range on the plug of about 11 miles. Once the pack charge is consumed, the car switches to its standard full hybrid system allowing the 50 mpg rating that consumers have enjoyed for years.

Why only 11 miles all-electric range (AER)? Like all consumer saleable PHEV/E-REVs, the Prius Plug-in is a compromise between EV range, performance, packaging, vehicle weight and price. Toyota’s strategy was based on the science that you want to consume a large portion or all of the packs stored energy so that you are not carrying around more “pack” then is needed for the rest of your drive. It is an electrified car but it was meant to boost your fuel economy, not supplant gasoline use altogether.

Saying that however, US consumers in particular want more and in this market, the Volt’s 38 miles AER does provide.

Prius PHEV-11 Drivetrain

The Prius PHEV-11 features a heavily atkinsonized 98 hp 1.8L VVT-i engine, a powerful 60 kW electric motor (MG2), a generator (MG1), a high performance Li-Ion battery and a power control unit. A power split device uses a planetary gear set to combine and reallocate power from the engine, electric motor and generator, as driving conditions dictate. Together output is stated at 134 hp allowing a 0 to 60 time in approximately 11 seconds with a speed limited top end of 112 mph. <-- Not Important. ;)

The electric motor, generator and power split device are housed in a single transmission casing that is about the same size as a conventional FWD transmission.

As well as maximizing the efficiency of the Hybrid Synergy Drive system during propulsion, the electric motor also acts as a high output generator during deceleration and under braking. This recovers kinetic energy that would usually be lost as heat as electric energy for storage in the lithium-ion battery.

The battery pack used for Prius PHEV was developed by Toyota in a joint venture partnership with Panasonic EV Energy. Its capacity is 4.4kWh – almost four times greater than the battery in the standard Prius – and its usable SOC has been expanded to approximately 60 per cent.

Recharging the Prius PHEV-11

The Prius Plug-in comes with a 24 ft. charging cable that plugs into any standard 120V US outlet. The 3.75 pound cord itself can be stored in a dedicated area beneath the hatches load floor.

The cars charge port is located behind a spring-loaded push-open door on the right-rear fender. A full charge from empty using a 120V AC outlet takes approximately 2.5-3.0 hours. The charge port provides LED (Light Emitting Diode) illumination for convenient nighttime charging.

[​IMG] The Real World in Europe

Prototype road trials in Europe allowed Toyota to fine tune its PHEV R&D. Data retrieval from the leased PHEV prototypes showed that after .5 million miles, 90 percent of journeys covered less than 12.5 miles. In other words, the PHEV’s zero emissions EV driving range was sufficient to meet a very significant proportion of the average European driver’s daily needs.

Fuel consumption figures during the tests revealed that the Prius PHEV consumed 36 percent less fuel than comparable turbodiesels and almost 50 percent less than the gasoline fueled car of similar size and appointments.

The Prius PHEV-11 Exterior

The Prius Plug-in shares the standard third generation Prius liftback’s low drag silhouette and weighs only 120 pounds more due mainly to the traction batter y with almost three times the energy storage.

The PHEV includes a few details not seen in the regular Prius. The upper headlamp has a blue smoke paint finish; the battery charger lid is decorated with a silver plug symbol. Silver accents on the door handles, model-specific 15-inch alloy wheels and a Plug-in Hybrid logo on the front quarter further distinguish it from its sister car.

At the rear the LED lamp clusters have clear lenses and the trim above the license plate has a silver finish. The Hybrid Synergy Drive badges incorporate a plug-in symbol.

[​IMG]

The Prius PHEV-11 Inside

The compact Li-Ion battery pack consumes just .1 cu. ft. of available cargo volume by comparison to the regular Prius. The compromise here is that the in place of a spare tire, the Prius PHEV carries a tire-sealing kit and inflator.

[​IMG]
    The Advanced Trim shown.​

Trims

In North America, the Prius PHEV-11 is offered in two trim levels, standard and Advanced. The standard trim provides all of the features of the Prius Two, Three, and Four. It includes Toyota’s new touch-screen Display Audio and Navigation system with rear backup camera and Entune multimedia services.

The Prius Plug-in comes standard with unique alloy wheels, LED Daytime Running Lights (DRLs), new driver-feedback screens, heated front seats, Smart Key System on three doors with push-button start and remote illuminated entry, and Touch Tracer Display.

The Advanced trim level adds a Head-Up Display (HUD), LED headlamps, SofTex interior seat trim, eight-way adjustable power driver seat, a JBL audio and HDD navigation system and exclusive Entune Plug-in Hybrid Applications for smartphones. Additional safety features in the Advanced level include the Pre-Collision System with Dynamic Radar Cruise Control and Safety Connect system. The latter can access a call center with a live operator who can dispatch police and emergency vehicles. The system combines automatic collision notification and a stolen vehicle locator feature, which can track the location of the stolen vehicle via GPS and help guide police to recover it.

My own real world?

In my family, my wife and son drive the Prius PHEV-11 about 37-miles per day during the week and approximately 30 miles in total on weekends in the San Diego area. Its lifetime fuel economy is 74 mpgUS and it receives a single full charge of approximately 2.5 kWh from home each and every day.

The Gerdes’ 2013 Toyota Prius PHEV-11

[​IMG]
    [/float_left]

2. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Active Member

Your math is slightly off: $1820 + 179*35 + 17280 = $25,365 (not including T/T/L)

Also, the Basic Plug-in Prius is most like a Prius Three. The added features of the Four are not present.

I just got mine this past week :D

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  3. xcel

Hi iluvmacs:

Why did you wait so long ;)

Yes, I liked on of your pics of it coming off the transporter the other day.

Wayne

4. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

And you give up the 2500 federal tax credit to the lessor, so the equivalent purchase price is 25365+2500 = 27,865, less interest in/on the lease payments and buyout, less the extra sales tax on the Federal tax credit amount.

State incentives vary where they exist.

5. xcel

Hi Ksstathead:

The fed incentive is provided in the cheap lease/purchase at end of term. You do not receive it unless you qualify after purchasing the $32K deal outright minus any $'s on the hood. This is $25K out the door + tax.

Now fly to NY and drive yours back ;)

Wayne

6. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Active Member

Believe it or not, I actually bought a '12 dealer demo unit from a dealership in NJ. The huge discount on new ones out there makes the used market very depressed, so I got this pristine unit for $23k. It took a while to find a deal that good! The very few used Plug-ins around midwestern dealerships cost $27-28k (yes, more than a NEW one out east!), so it was well worth the search.

First trip Madison -> Milwaukee was 78 MPG! It will only get better as I learn to drive it best and get a ScanGauge or similar (the CAN-View from my Gen2 of course does not work...).

7. xcel

Hi iluvmacs:

Cool!

Did you see the results of ours driving from NY to CA? Pretty darn good and even better than the regular Prius. This thing is a killer with 62 mph glides. Just make sure you get of CD mode with .1 to .3 miles of EV range left and you are golden. :)

Wayne

8. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

It is a good deal, but to equate it to a purchase, one must add the foregone credits of a purchase. I am guessing there is enough $ on the hood to get there, as I have yet to see a leasing company lose money...

If I paid no tax, a lease deal would be unbeatable, even though I give up the right to do my own maintenance and make my own insurance decisions.

9. CmaxVsPrius

CmaxVsPrius Moderator

I want one. The lease sounds fine. I leased a 2010 Prius. When the lease was up, the dealer paid me over $1000 equity because I sold it to them. I thought about keeping it for the $16000 buy out, but they offered me a used 2012 Prius for $18000. Two years newer for $2000.

But I don't want to go to the east coast to get it. I have a trade I can't drive out there, and I want to work with a local dealer in Madison. Neither dealer here cares. So I'm not going to get one. Hmmmph. .

10. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Active Member

More often, one would instead just subtract the credit from a purchase. Say Toyota is running $3K off incentive to buy right now (which is true out east). $33K - $3k - $2500 - $27,500. Compare that equation to the full total paid amount for a lease, and you come to the same result, but in a way that makes a lot more sense.

11. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Active Member

Find the right dealer, and you can buy the thing over the phone, do the paperwork through FedEx, and have it shipped to you. That's what I just did for my Plug-in Prius, and it was a great car-buying experience, actually.

It's great that Smart Motors here in Madison brought in some Plug-ins, but they can't offer the Toyota incentives, which makes it a pretty poor choice financially at the moment.

Anyone in the Madison area -- come check us out at our local Plug-in Day event this Saturday! I'll have my Leaf and Plug-in Prius there. http://pluginday.org/event.php?eventid=10

12. CmaxVsPrius

CmaxVsPrius Moderator

I'll try to make it to the event Sat am. I'd like to hear about your phone in FedEx order. I see there is going to also be a Tesla there.

13. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

never in canada T__T

14. xcel

Hi All:

The Prius PHEV-11s reason for being.

[​IMG]

Marian and Scotty continue to impress me.

Wayne

15. xcel

Hi All:

2013 Toyota Prius PHEV-11

[​IMG]
    The saga continues.​

It has been almost 6-weeks since I last topped off the Prius PHEV-11 in San Diego. In between I have driven through parts or all of 7 states – some multiple times, in numerous vehicles, and on both ends and the central part of the Continent. Tonight I swapped with my son at an In-N-Out and took the Prius PHEV-11 to a Shell just across the street on Mira Mesa Blvd. in San Diego to refuel. And this is what I saw.

[​IMG]
    720 miles at 80 mpg over a month for < $30 in gasoline and < $10 in electricity.​

I am really proud of my son tonight. :)

Wayne

16. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Great!!

$3.11 is dirt cheap
    but I just filled the SUV with the same Shell-$2.59

Of course we have been down this road before-low prices-followed by the inevitable long rise or sudden spike
    but until then HUGE SUVs will sell pretty well
    Selfishly good news for me because when the spike happens-they will immediately PLUMMET-in price-new and used-
    and I will be able to update the 1998 SUV to a 2004 or better one for maybe $4000 -
    since no one likes $200 fill up!!
    I will be able to transport/evacuate the mutt-Arty(or mutts) and the 4 or 5 cats-in style
    Too bad Honda or Toyota minivans never become "cheap"

Yeah Wayne 80 mpg-not too bad!!

Oh-cats -(for you dog people) always require a crate.They are a contentious bunch and some "don't get along" with their step-brothers step sisters-and they will sneak out the door at rest stops(and can't be lured with a treat) yeah harder to travel with a cat than a dog-4-5 cats + a goofy greyhound or two require HUGE vehicle volume

17. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I did transport two kittens on a 275 mile trip. I was the only human in the car and it was hard to get them to stay in their cardboard box. After a while I just gave up on that and let them roam the car. There were no rest stops.
    Somehow , other folks manage to bring their dogs along without a vehicle the size of a house. I'm just sayin'.

18. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Edwins
    Arty-the goofy greyhound- constantly rides in the Prius-no problem.
    Greyhounds of course are leggy somewhat biggish dogs
    Granted Arty is a very small female(arrived at 54 lbs heavy for a female if she was just off track-but she was just two-slow-so little track experience)
    Of course Arty has eaten her way up to at least 75 lbs-and aspires to Rottweiler mass.

Anyway-dogs actually are "much smaller car volume requirers" than cats.
    And kittens-not as contentious as adult cats(which if they are family rarely actually hurt one another-but their constant hissing Yarwllllllllll offs-if they are stuck with a least favorite "brother sister" annoy the humans to no end"
    Plus the litter box requirement for a longer trip-and having to access it
    Yeah our 4(or 5) cats would require 2 48 x 30x30 folding dog crates-
    A minivan with seats mainly removed might work(or we could go 42 length)
    But no decent minivan sells for $2950
    Plenty of 1996-1999 gm SUVS-with 200,000 plus miles-sell for well under that-simple-ish and cheap to DIY repair(really just bolt off bolt on parts)-parts available literally everywhere
    and the drivetrains can be ownerproof to some extent
    We drove twice to Arizona(3000 miles) with a significant radiator leak-probably a small intake manifold leak
    and I have been driving for years with what I hope/think-is an oil pan gasket oil leak
    Yeah owner proof

But I digress-it isn't the dog that requires volume-it is the 4 cats(maybe 5 since the neighbors cat comes by several times a day for TAKE OUT-they are nice folks but kinda casual about Beastie-they might not be able to find him if they had to evacuate-since he is indoor-outdoor cat(ours strictly indoor)
    And we MIGHT have 2 dogs
    So 2 dogs 4-5 cats-means HUGE volume required
    Of course one dog could ride in Prius with wife son

Yeah dogs no problem-MULTIPLE cats-LONG LONG trips(Katrina evacuation took 14 hours to get 250 miles N- but that was just to a rest stop-another 5-6 hours to get to DFW and a motel that would allow that menagerie (with some de-exaggeration of the numbers) to check in.

So pets-mega pet numbers-are a problem.
    Katrina we had 4 cats two dogs-Honda Pilot and a extended cab pickup-the cats were in smaller cat carrier cages-one on pickup seat-3 in pilot-2 dogs in Titan pickup
    These two vehicles-gave about 20 mpg steady hy average mpg-but horrendous bumper to bumper evacuation numbers( .7 mpg and .5 mpg at idle-so you can imagine)

The prius and Suburban deliver 33 mpg "family mpg)-in pure city driving
    The Pilot and Titan delivered 13 mpg in pure city driving(but we also had a 2001 Prism-so actual family mpg was more like 19 mpg)
    For reasons I don't "get" the 1998 Suburban gets slightly better city mpg that the much more modern 2004 4 valve Titan which is almost 500 lbs lighter??
    Yeah primitive 5200 LB 2 valve brick on wheels beat the modern 4 valve 4800LB somewhat AERO looking Titan
    Still not sure why-especially since Titan turned 1520 rpms at 60 mph-vs suburbans 1725 rpms at 60 mph and 5 speed AT vs 4 speed AT
    Now I don't remember if the Titan would glide(city speeds-under 40 mph) in D exactly as if it was in D the way the GMs do-no having to slip it in N

Yeah I still puzzle over why the GM does so well-hy and city-mild motor on hypermiling gets 25% over EPA in pure city-and 60 mph gets 25% just by cruise control 60 mph(and gliding or DWL when appropriate on long trips)

Yeah next gas spike I will upgrade to the 14-20 2004 2006 and get another 2-3 mpg-better brakes too-probably cost me just $4000 for the new one-get $1500 for old one-so $2500 upgrade
    I might get 25 mpg on long trips with a 2004
    For now I will avoid the AFM (CYLINDER SHUTDOWN motors 2007 on-lotta oil consumption complaints-and we have our own ways to get better mpg-keep foot off gas and brake-litte extra tire pressure-pull out extra seats -and SOMEDAY I might Bassjoos the rear where I currently put a hitch carrier-maybe a covered flip access faring-worth a few .1th maybe )

Oh well-I digress-but cats live large-dogs more agreeable on trips-
    just as Wayne and Pups-cats are unhappy travelers-dogs LOVE trips-meeting strangers and strange dogs at rest stops-eating "foreign fast food" walks in strange smelling places
    Yeah mutts LOVE to travel

19. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

That makes sense. I guess I never lived any place where I thought I might have to evacuate.

We did put three large-ish dogs ( along with a small boy) in the back of a 99 Camry ( which is roughly the size of my 08 Civic). A 90-lb Rottweiler , and two Labs that were about 65 and 80 lbs. But that was for VERY short trips ( 4 miles) to the dog park.

In my current home, there are no animals.

20. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

The other advantage of the PiP is there is more battery capacity for regen, and this can bring up the average MPG on longer trips.

This is quite tempting, actually. Here in Massachusetts, there is a $1,500 rebate on the Plugin Prius (for a 3 year lease or purchase), so that drops the out of pocket to start to $365 - though you have to wait ~75 days to get the rebate check.

Monthly payments here would be $179 + 6.25% = $190.19, which is still excellent.