2014 Honda Accord Hybrid Payback Arrives after Only 88,643 miles

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Sep 23, 2013.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Regardless of a hybrid payback which is not really pertinent anyway, the Accord Hybrid could sell in big numbers.

[​IMG]Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - Sept. 23, 2013

2014 Honda Accord Hybrid - $29,945 to start including D&H while offering an amazing 50/45/47 mpgUS city/highway/combined EPA rating.

This morning Honda released trim details and pricing on its brand new full hybrid sedan. And they wrapped it in a Halloween story. Will this be the trick some manufacturers have provided to unsuspecting new owners or the treat we know Honda has and can supply?

The all-new Accord Hybrid will arrive with standard features including the side view via central display “LaneWatch”, a rearview camera, and LED DRL lighting.

Here is Honda’s pitch to auto journos all over the US and I just know Alicia probably had her hands in this somehow ;)

Fuel prices can be scary, but the EPA-rated 50 mpg city 2014 Accord Hybrid will take some of the fright out of going to the gas pump when it debuts at U.S. dealers nationwide on Halloween (October 31). With a host of standard equipment, the manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) ranges from $29,155 for the well-equipped Accord Hybrid to $34,905 for the luxurious Accord Hybrid Touring model, plus a destination and handling charge of $790.

The 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid also arrives with Bluetooth HandsFreeLink, USB/iPod integration, Pandora compatibility, SMS text message function, dual-zone automatic climate control, alloy wheels, a driver's seat with 10-way power adjustment, and a 160-watt AM/FM/CD audio system.

The Accord Hybrid EX-L arrives with advanced safety technologies including Forward Collision Warning (FCW) and Lane Departure Warning (LDW) along with leather-trimmed and heated front seats and the HondaLink cloud-based media and connectivity system featuring Aha compatibility. Power driver's seat memory, front passenger seat with 4-way power adjustment and one-touch moonroof are also standard on the EX-L trim.

The Accord Hybrid Touring adds the Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System with voice recognition and FM traffic data, LED headlights with blue tinted chrome bezels, Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and hard disk drive (HDD) audio memory.

The Accord Hybrid includes the Accord’s spacious and very ergonomic seating positions both front and rear with a highly efficient all-new two-motor hybrid system from Honda's Earth Dreams advanced powertrain series.

The 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid is the first Honda hybrid vehicle produced in Ohio, at the company's Marysville Auto Plant.

The 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid is covered by a 3-year/36,000-mile Limited Vehicle Warranty, a 5-year/60,000-mile Powertrain Limited Warranty, and a 5-year/unlimited-mile Corrosion Limited Warranty. The hybrid battery pack is covered by a 8-year/100,000-mile or 10-year/150,000 mile limited warranty, depending on the state of purchase/registration.

All in, the $7,475 USD for a lot more stuff and much better fuel economy over a base LX is going to be a tough sell on the surface. The Accord Hybrid-II is however equipped closer to the EX minus the sunroof. With a $4,275 price premium, that can be made up with the fuel savings in just 88,643 miles assuming a conservative $4.00 per gallon over the course of the next few years.

Will the Honda Accord Hybrid provide owners taking on America’s roadways an honest 47 mpg result? That one remains to be seen but I have high hopes :)

On a more direct note, is the 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid worth $3,147 USD more than a somewhat similarly equipped Prius package 3? I would say yes as the Prius is smaller (passenger volume anyway?), not nearly as well equipped, and really takes a knock in terms of ergo and interior materials. However, $30K + tax for a new 2014 Accord Hybrid is not chump change either.

2. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

We'll see what its real world is compared to EPA and what its hypermiling potential is, and then compare to Prius. They also are not offering a base model to take on the Prius 2, so those wanting great city fuel economy for even less cash will still be looking at liftback 2 or a c.

For many, this will be an easy pick in favor of HAH2 due to size, amenities, and Honda brand. I'm in another camp, where I could pay for more luxury, and might if the mileage upside is there, but will probably get 2nd gen PiP at this point to take my electrification to the next level.

xcel likes this.
  3. waltermlee

waltermlee Well-Known Member

I think the HAH2 is a natural progression or upgrade from a conventional HA - so while gas prices go up - current HA owners (which is a large group) looking for better MPGs as gas prices go up don't leave the Honda umbrella and jump ship to the Toyota Camry Hybrid or a Lexus Hybrid. IMHO the Accord, Camry, and Fusion hybrids focus on offer a softer ride on the super highway with improved MPGs - while it would be nice if the HAH2 matches or comes close to matching the Prius hatchback in MPG and Emissions - it is not the HAH2 primary design objective for its market profile.

xcel likes this.
  4. chilimac02

chilimac02 Bible Professor & Minister

when i finally finish school and get a job, i'll get rid of the 01 accord. perhaps for a HAH, perhaps for the Camry hybrid. Which do you guys like better? I know that nobody has really hm'd the HAH yet.

xcel likes this.
  5. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

I'm waiting a few years to pass judgment on the new HAH. I really like the new Accord in general. The only thing that gives me pause is all the nonsense that HCH-II owners have had to put up with when their packs started to go. I'm hoping for a Honda success with the new battery chemistry and...hopefully...a bunch of lessons learned about how a hybrid system should be managed.

xcel likes this.
  6. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

Tricky though is residual value which should be also accounted for given that's one of the biggest costs for most people. So let's say premium is 4K then maybe after 3-4 years it's down to 2K so the investment was only 2K. But difficult to predict since hybrid costs might come further down (not too much yet though).

xcel likes this.
  7. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

You know what though? A good Hybrid can easily beat the EPA. When I bought my C I thought I would be getting 50 MPG or a little less. The first tank was 52MPG and I drove it like my car before. I learn to watch the lights and go 60MPH Vs 70MPH on the freeways and I get low 60s MPG tanks EASY.

xcel likes this.
  8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

What about compared to a PiP, which is a Prius 3 + Heated Seats + more EV and is now $30k before tax credits?

xcel likes this.
  9. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Luke:

As you said, TCO is tricky business. I looked up the 05 Accord Hybrid with 100k miles in good condition and they showed $10,594. The 05 EX-L with the same 100k miles in Good condition showed $9,941.

MSRP for both the 05 the Accord Hybrid (28 mpg combined) and EX-L (24 mpg combined) were $29,990 and $24,600 respectively. In the real world, the Accord I4 proved to be just as efficient as the Hybrid. The Hybrid was lower in our drive(s) of it.

Fortunately there will be a premium for the 47 mpg combined rated 14 Accord Hybrid because it will save quite a bit of fuel vs. the 30 mpg combined rated 14 Accord no matter who is driving it.

George, the 05 Accord Hybrid was one of those that was not as good as the rest of the lineup surrounding it. The new one however is showing real savings for journalists that are lacking in the FE department pulling really good number far beyond their norm. I think this is the real deal just as your c is.

Colin, a new Prius PHEV-11 for $25 to $27K after all the deals is a stupendous deal.

Looking back to the second gen 04 or third gen 10 Prius, while they incorporate revolutionary drivetrains and hatch utility, they do not match an Accord's room, comfort, amenities, or driving nature. Fuel savings wise, the Prius PHEV-11 will bury the Accord HEV of course but there is more to their differences than the spec sheet reveals. While I am glad my wife and son are driving the 13 Prius PHEV, if I could have purchased a 14 Accord PHEV for just $3,000 more, they would be in that without a second thought. At $10k more however, no.

Wayne