Power!!

Discussion in 'ScanGauge' started by brick, Sep 14, 2013.

1. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Just for giggles, I switched one of my SG-II gauges to show horsepower today. And I did giggle. What I thought was a "hard" start from a light to 45mph required a whopping 60hp. A more typical acceleration in snarled traffic was in the 30-35hp range. I'll have to play with this on the highway to see where power demand peaks. I bet I'll still think this engine is absurdly overpowered.

Anybody else played this game? Want to? I'm curious what others come up with in their daily drivers.

2. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Try cruising up a relatively steep, long hill on an Interstate at typical Interstate traffic speeds of today, against a headwind. That circumstance is about the highest power requirement anybody can reasonably claim to "need," short of towing a heavy trailer up the same hill, or making the mistake of pulling in front of fast traffic that's too close behind you.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  3. I'll check in the van. Probably be Tuesday before I drive it again.

4. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I'll check mine next time I drive , probably Monday. I might use as much as 30-35 HP when getting on the expressway.

5. trogecj

trogecj Member

I've always wondered about this. I finally ordered my scanguage, so I'll chime in when i get it.

6. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

I spend almost no time over 25 hp in the Prius.

Same for the CR-V, only because it rarely sees the highway.

7. Knew I was forgetting something. Don't think I'm driving the van today. Try to remember for tomorrow

8. EdwinTheMagnificent

D'oh ! Me too. I'm afraid I will see as much as 40 HP when I am getting on the expressway.

If I am awake enough at 6:15 when I do that tomorrow I will check.

9. 0-55 at 50% tps ( harder than I usually accelerate) peaked at 167hp

55 Steady with ac on - 40's HP

Idle settled at 9 hp

10. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

In the Volt or the van, James?
    That seems like a whole lot of HP to me.

11. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I remember cruising at highway speed uphill in a loaded F150 ecoboost and seeing hp in the 60's.

12. Loaded van. 4.8 v8

13. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

I still haven't seen anything over 60hp in day-to-day driving.

14. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

In my Fit, it goes from 20 to 35 during a pulse. Steady LOD and rising rpm = rising hp.

15. EdwinTheMagnificent

I found I need 40 HP to get onto the expressway safely , but if I'm careful I can drive everywhere else with no more than 30 HP. I think I may need to leave HPR displayed on the gauge for a while. I took LOD off to show HPR.

16. Doverboy

Doverboy Member

Emma (2001 Jetta 2.0 4spd auto gasser) rarely gets above 30 hp. HOWEVER, last week her CEL flashed a few times, indicating a misfire. After consulting with my VW guru, he suggested she may have slurped some water from condensation overnight from an empty tank. He told me to drive her WOT and try to replicate the misfire (I was cruising up a steep 1.5 mile hill with my kiddos at 16TPS, about 40 mph when the flashing occurred). So I drove Emma unlike I have ever driven her before. I took her for a 20-mile adventure, racing up hills and taking her RPMs close to 6000. She ran like a champ, easily reaching 100 mph and handled great. Our adventure culminated in our return to the aforementioned 1.5 mile steep uphill, where I drove her at 95 TPS, hit 90 MPH and HPR hit 108. Her max horsepower is 115. The misfire did not return and all her systems are go. While many laugh at our hypermiling ways, the fact that my 13 year old 167k mile car can perform like this is a testament to the benefits of maintenance and deliberate, active driving. Oh, and surprisingly, what with the crazy-long glides after hitting such high speeds, Emma still averaged over 31 MPG on the trip!