2800+ miles in 46 hours in a 2014 Audi A7 TDI quattro

Discussion in 'Audi' started by seftonm, Sep 13, 2013.

1. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

This was an amazing trip that I will never forget. 2800 miles in 46 hours does sound crazy and it probably is, but it turned out to be a tremendous amount of fun and a huge success. I always enjoy meeting CleanMPG members and enjoy road trips as well. So when the opportunity came up to go on a drive with 11 other CleanMPG members and journalists, I couldn't pass it up.

After landing in LA I picked up the A6 and took it for a quick drive to the beach. Yes team A6, I got a few hours of seat time in your car while most of you were still on your flights! I may have given Wayne a bit of a scare by picking up the car but not showing up at the hotel for a few hours, but I was enjoying my time in the sun too much. I knew the GPS and built in 3G data would get me where I needed to go when it came time to get to the hotel. The graphics on the side of the car were already starting to get some attention in the beach parking lot so I got to talk to a few passerby about TDI and what it meant. After things got organized, I ended up in the A7 with Bob (rhwinger), Roger (CMaxVsPrius), and Sebastian (from AutoblogGreen). I knew Bob and Sebastian from our F-150 drive a few years ago and remembered that both were good drivers, so I was glad to be grouped up with them. After meeting Roger and seeing him drive I knew we had a good group.

The biggest worry once we got on the road was the 7000' climb ahead of us coming out of LA. Bob and Sebastian took the first two stints which meant I was tasked with the majority of the climb. They had worked up a nice buffer for me and as I took the wheel I apologized and said all their hard work was going to disappear in the next few hours. The A7 proved me wrong and was amazingly still above 40mpg by the time I was done. By that point I knew that the only thing that would keep us from meeting our goal would be something unforseen like a flat tire.

Now that we could relax, we decided to fire up the optional Bang & Olufsen stereo. That stereo is by far the best automotive sound system I've ever heard. I'm going to quote Bob on it because he describes it perfectly
    The rest of the car was impressive as well. It was very quiet and the engine only made itself heard when the driver mashed the pedal. I have driven a few TDIs but this engine was even better than I expected with smooth effortless torque available from 1200rpm. I have always thought that the best way to get diesel on peoples' radar is to get people to drive one and see how good the engines can be. All 3 TDIs definitely seemed to do that with their quiet operation, endless torque, and the ease in which they beat their EPA ratings. All that and 0-60 in around 6 seconds!!

The rest of the drive went smoothly save for a few "OH %#$!" moments and unexpected detours. Now that we knew we would have no trouble beating the EPA, the new challenge was to beat team A6. In the end, we decided that we had the cooler car with the better stereo and didn't want team A6 to feel too bad about losing the mileage battle as well ;)

All in all, this was an amazing trip with a great group of people. Thanks to Audi for allowing us to do this and for building such impressive cars. The rockstar treatment we got after getting to New York was something I never expected. I'll never forget the time when I drove from Los Angeles to New York in 46 hours and the people and cars that were along for the trip.

2. seftonm

Re: 2800+ miles in 46 hours in an A7 TDI

The A6 before and after our trip
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Beautiful day at the Pacific Ocean
    [​IMG]

Getting ready to go
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The climb ahead
    [​IMG]

Sunrise with the Q5
    [​IMG]

Some of the many pit stops
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyone for fresh frog legs?
    [​IMG]

Christian Moe from Road & Track getting some pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Almost there!
    [​IMG]

Calculating final mileage
    [​IMG]

Our rides to our first real meal in 48+ hours
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  3. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Excellent writeup, and amazing picture of the Pacific. I was happy to see that you got the time in at the beach! Of all twelve participants, you may well be the most qualified to compare the V6 TDI in these new Audi models with the TDI four cylinder engines and their various generations. It seems to me that the development and refinement curve is exponential and these engines will continue to amaze us as new technologies are unveiled. Who ever would have thought they could include auto-stop into a diesel V6?

4. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Do they have "heavy-duty" but essentially conventional starters that make normal starter noise at every auto-restart? If not, what?

5. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I'm not sure. It doesn't make much sound at all... starting, running, etc. Not as smooth as my Escape Hybrid that seems to just be "instantly running", but not like a normal starter either. It's somewhere in the middle.

6. seftonm

Yes Chris I was impressed by the auto stop system. With the high pressure injection and computer control, diesels have really come along in terms of power density and refinement the last 10 years. I think the next big step is going to be making the emissions system simpler. Right now we are at a stage where things are still being figured out, similar to what gas cars went through in the smog era.

There is a shudder when it shuts down but it's not bad at all, and start up is pretty darn quick, pretty much on the first crank.

Here's a quick video when we dropped off the car in New York. It's still slightly diesely from the outside but nowhere near even normal conversation loudness. Inside, it's very well muted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZysVzkC6kCg&feature=youtu.be

7. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

Mike,

It was great meeting you and great write up. You might have me looking at TDI in the future considering your great experiences.

I agree, you completely knew that you were in auto shut-off, but I personally liked it that way. It started up like a perfectly warmed car on the first spin. I would have to believe that the high-pressure fuel system has a lot to do with that.

8. seftonm

9. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I think the Audi's stop-start system sounds like any other conventional (non-hybrid) starter. You definitely feel and hear it when it starts. But it's more noticeable in the Audi because the rest of the driving experience is so smooth and quiet.

Thanks for uploading all the great pics , Mike.

10. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I didn't find the starts/stops objectionable though. Not as smooth as the FEH where it just seems to be "instantly running", and at times on the FEH you pretty much have to look at the tach to tell if its running or not, but overall I felt the Audi system was well sorted. I just wish Audi hadn't pulled the A8 from the event. Then again, if I had been in an A8 for nearly 3,000 miles, I might have had to find some way to buy one.

11. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

This morning I was offered the 2014 Audi A7 TDI for June 12 - 19th. I am considering a quick 2 day drive out to Mount Rushmore for a quick vacation before refueling in Wyoming. It is a 3,000 ft. climb, more than likely headwinds much of the way, and who knows what else.

2014 Audi A7 TDI Vacation Drive

[​IMG]
    986 miles from Wadsworth, IL to the “Corn Palace”, Wall Drug, Mount Rushmore, and the SD/WY border to refuel.​

I am also considering a loop of Lake Michigan with a stop up at Mackinac Island. 886 mile drive loop but I am sure I can add a hundred and forty to make it an even 1k.

I cannot wait to see what the steady states are on this thing when not barreling across the country at high rates of speed. :)

Wayne

12. seftonm

Awesome! I can't think of a better road trip car. Well, maybe the A8 TDI ;)

13. EdwinTheMagnificent

Only "problem" with the A8 TDI is the enormous fuel tank , which raises the chances of growing old and dying before having to refuel.

14. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I wish Audi had not decided to pull the A8 from the Truth in 48 drive. I bet that would have been a blast to drive.

15. EdwinTheMagnificent

Oh yeah ! It was fun, though . to be driven around Manhattan in one , wasn't it ?

16. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Edwin:
    That just got blasted all over the internet. Pretty darn funny stuff. :D

Wayne

17. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

Sure was!:stickshift: