2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Discussion in 'General' started by waltermlee, Aug 31, 2013.

1. waltermlee

waltermlee Well-Known Member

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Walter:

I have already sent in a few proposed drives but Honda being Honda has not responded... Am writing up the 50/45/47 mpgUS story now.

Wayne

3. hunter44102

hunter44102 Well-Known Member

Anyone drive the 2014 Accord Hybrid? How does it drive and how is the actual mileage?

4. xcel

5. hunter44102

Thanks Wayne. The review is awesome and I think it would be a great vehicle for the flat driving.

I will probably wait a couple years and see if I can get a used one. My 06 HCHII is still great but would like to get a bigger vehicle

6. hunter44102

If the new Accord Hybrid battery pack completely fails, is the vehicle still drivable? The electric motor would still get power from the ICE to produce electricity, but would it drive the wheels?

7. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

Have you actually looked at the car Hunter. It is a big car! I found it too large and went the gen 3. Prius route. However it probably is a good auto for a person that requires a large car. Good question re will it run with failed hybrid system? H

8. hunter44102

Yes I looked at the car. I am ready to 'upsize' in order to get more trunk and back seat room, and more interior space for when we go on long trips.

I also like that its much quieter inside. (although I'm comparing it to my 06 HCH, I'm sure the new Civics are better)

If the civic's had the new hybrid system I would consider those, but they still have the IMA system, which is not bad but I like the new system without transmission

I'm not a big fan of Prius looks nor the interior. I like Honda's for whatever reason

9. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

I have to agree the accord looks like the hybrid for the future. Not much talk on the forums to date. Cannot be that many out there yet? H

10. hunter44102

I think many of us are priced out of the Accord. I paid $18k for my HCH II (used). I am willing to pay $25K for the bigger car, but jeez they want like $30k for the -base- model and $33k for the EX-L

I may wait a couple years if I have to and get one used. As long as my civic holds up!

11. jbart

jbart Well-Known Member

Im in a similar boat. Would consider a Gen 3 Prius first if I could find one used and trade in my HCH. Too expensive for a new car Hybrid or not.

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

We went through a procession of Accords over the decades, then downsized into a Civic Hybrid, then over to our current 3rd Gen Prius. Our last Accord was a '91. Towards the end it got abysmal mileage, not sure why. Two things I suspected was dragging brakes and maybe an O2 sensor. Not really knowledgeable about the latter, just a guess. Anyway, sorry, rambling:

As soon as we switched over to the Prius it was a quantum leap in "trunk" capacity, I'd have a hard time rationalizing any sort of sedan now.

13. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Agreed. And it's doubly true with a hybrid sedan's smaller trunk. The Accord Hybrid's trunk is shrunk to match the regular Civic's. It's not just the space, either. The size of the opening was often a limiting factor with my old Civic.

14. xcel

Hi All:

For drivers with 60 mph or less commutes, the Accord Hybrid is my number one midsize hybrid choice available today despite the smallish 12.7 cu. ft. rear trunk. Great fuel economy, good performance, and a very comfortable passenger volume. Rear seats are even more comfortable than the Passat due to the lean back angle. For 60 + mph drivers, the Passat TDI still owns the road in terms of higher speed confidence inspired handling, tons of rear seat leg room, and ample cargo volume.

In terms of price, the base Hyundai Sonata Hybrid at < $20k new is a steal.

Wayne

15. hunter44102

I'm really curious, is the HAH completely useless if the battery dies?

On the IMA hybrids, the battery can die and the car will still have the ICE+CVT but without the added HP from battery+electric motor.

With the HAH, can the ICE and that automatic clutch work at lower speeds, or is it only for 45MPH and higher??

16. xcel

Hi Hunter:

I cannot say for sure that there is or is not a protection scheme that would disable the serial hybrid interaction if the battery were to fail but given the way vehicles work today, I would say no. You would lose your EV capability but the engine powering the car through MG1 to MG2 should not and does not need the battery to operate.

The lawyers would be all over this if a pack failure stopped power to the wheels and left you without any power. Think GM ignition recalls and you have an idea s to why Honda would not have incorporated such a scheme. It is just to dangerous.

Wayne

17. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

HSD is completely dead if the main pack dies, and I wouldn't put it in the same class as at-speed engine failures coupled with loss of power steering and airbags. The car just doesn't start. That said, the Honda system is simple enough that you may not need a pack if there's a backup starter. Toyota's system needs the pack to keep the MGs balanced during transients, where pure serial drive shouldn't.

18. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Wow, that's a small trunk for such a big car. Do the rear seats fold down, or is it the same situation the HCH? How do people live with cars that can't even carry 6' fenceposts home from the hardware store (as my tiny Golf did with ease the other day)?

19. xcel

Hi Dan:

It is not a hatch and the seatbacks do not fold down.

Wayne

20. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Well, I know it's not a hatch, but most normal sedans can still carry fenceposts, a few sticks of dimension lumber, a couple pair of skis or even a bicycle, when you fold down the seats. To me a car that can't carry anything more than 4' long is not a practical automobile. I know the HAH is not alone in this regard, but still #HybridSedanFail.