Hello from Ottawa

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by OCecowarrior, Aug 27, 2013.

1. OCecowarrior

OCecowarrior Beam me up Scotty

Hi Guys
    Never thought I would join any group that would have me as a member. But here I am and it is good to be here.
    Just a short note before going to work. I've followed the site for a few years and it inspired me in fighting the good fight, both at work and on my time. I drive city bus here in Ottawa therefore I spend hours every workday honing my skills. I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination but I consider it a life long endeavor.
    I'm going to sign off for now and hopefully I will have a place to vent frustrations in the future.

2. Die2self

Die2self Saving more by using less!

Wow, sounds like you have a great opportunity to save your tax payer a large amount on their fuel bill for your bus.

What did you used to get from the Bus (what kind) before you started driving eco friendly, and now what are you getting? Do you have a list at work of the lowest fuel used per shift up so that people have goals to shoot for? :)

I am sure getting that big bus moving sucks down that juice, then wastes it all just to turn around and stop a few blocks down the road.:(

3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

That is so great ! A bus driver that cares about fuel efficiency !

Welcome to cleanmpg.

4. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Welcome to CleanMPG!

5. OCecowarrior

OCecowarrior Beam me up Scotty

Thanks Guys for the warm welcome.
    Die2self I have to admit I am not aware of my fuel economy. I did read an article a while back saying that there could be as much as a 20% improvement with ecodriving. I used to drive highway coach in the 90'S and they got about 5 MPG. Modern day coaches are probably more efficient. City busses are much worse because you have to stop every few blocks. I heard possibly 2 to 3 MPG. The good news is that with 30 people average on board there would be 30 fewer polluters sucking even more fuel.
    Now Edwin you have to realize that often schedules are very tight and many new or not so new drivers rush to stay on time. I have been doing this for more than 20 years and I learned the hard way that defensive driving and ecodriving use similar techniques and that it doesn't pay to drive aggressively in the long run.