Hi from New York...

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by scout24, Aug 20, 2013.

1. scout24

scout24 Member

New guy here, tired of 35+/- mpg from my 2011 Yaris hatchback automatic. I've picked up some good pointers here already, and should have my Scangauge delivered tomorrow. I'm looking forward to seeing what this does to help. If I drive carefully, shutting off occasionally and coasting, I can see 40mpg. mainly commuting, 400 miles a week with 50 or so of that running around town. I'm trying to find a definitive answer on DFSO for my Yaris- all the time when you lift off the gas completely above 1000rpm or so, or only in second and third gear??? Any advice is welcome, I'm here to learn...http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/images/smilies/tongue.gif

2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Hi , scout24. If you can focus on creating some space in front of your Yaris , you will find opportunities to get into neutral and coast. Depending on traffic , the space you create may only be enough for you to coast in DFCO. There is really no perfect answer to that question.
    If you have enough room for a neutral glide, do so. If not , then DFCO , and a bit of that will create more space for you.

I hope I haven't confused you. If you stay focused ,alert , and committed , you'll get better and better. The Scangauge can be your friend.

3. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Welcome, scout24! 40 mpg should be easy in a Yaris.

Does your owner's manual state "flat towing" (=towing the car with all its wheels on the ground) is OK? If not, shutting off the engine when you coast (if that's what you meant ... ) might risk damage.