Meet the 2014 Toyota Corolla Hybrid

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Aug 6, 2013.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG]The Prius c’s drivetrain for Japan.

[fimg=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2014_Toyota_Corolla_Axio.jpg[/fimg]Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - August 6, 2013

2014 Toyota Corolla Hybrid Sedan and Wagon - $19,671 USD to start in Japan while sporting a 77.6 mpgUS rating on the JC08. This is .9 mpgUS higher than the Liftback on the same and “could” arrive with a 50 mpgUS combined rating here too?

Toyota this morning announced it has launched the "Corolla Axio" sedan and "Corolla Fielder" station wagon in Japan. In addition, there will be a special Corolla Fielder "Hybrid G Aerotourer WxB" grade. The vehicles will be sold across Japan through "Toyota Corolla" dealers starting today.

While the JC08 is a ludicrous P&G test cycle, what was revealing is the new Corolla Hybrid is using a 1.5L HSD-II similar to that used in the current Prius c.

Toyota Hybrids - JC08 comparisons

Prius c: 83.3 mpgUS
    Corolla Hybrid: 77.6 mpgUS
    Prius liftback: 76.7 mpgUS

The Hybrid G Aerotourer Corolla Fielder features a black interior with white highlights proven popular among Japanese consumers. The hybrid Corolla Axio and Corolla Fielder will also be available as "Welcab" specially equipped vehicles with factory-installed features for physically disabled individuals and the elderly.

Drivetrain

The vehicles are equipped with the 1.5L Toyota Hybrid System II (THS II) with reduction gear. The vehicles also exceed the MLIT fuel efficiency standard for 2015 making them eligible for reduced tax burdens under the Japanese government's tax incentive program for environment-friendly vehicles.

Like the 1.5L Gen II Prius from which it is derived, the engine is an Atkinson-cycle I4 while using the latest cooled Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) to improve engine efficiency. An electric water pump eliminates the need for a drive belt while allowing coolant flow rates to be controlled very precisely.

Toyota is predicting the Corolla Hybrid Sedan and Wagon to reach 1,000 and 1,500 vehicles per month respectively.

MSRPs (all prices in $USD Including Japanese consumption tax)

Column1Column2
    Corolla Axio Hybrid Sedan$19,670
    Corolla Axio Hybrid Sedan with seat heaters $19,833
    Corolla Axio Hybrid Sedan G$21,204
    Corolla Axio Hybrid Sedan G with seat heaters$21,365
    Corolla Axio Hybrid Sedan G Aerotourer$23,095

Corolla Fielder Hybrid G Aerotourer WxB$23,912

Vehicle Specifications

Engine: Model 1NZ-FXE
    Displacement: 1,496 cc
    Maximum output: 73 hp@4,800 rpm
    Maximum torque: 82 lb-ft. from 3,600-4,400 rpm

Traction Motor (MG2)
    Maximum output: 60 hp
    Maximum torque: 125 lb-ft

Combined System Output: 99 hp

Battery: NiMH

Wheelbase: 102.4 inch
    Length: 171.4 inch
    Height: 57.5 inch
    Width: 66.7 inch

The hybrid models feature an exclusive softer appearing front grille, front and rear Synergy Blue emblems, an exclusive Light Blue Metallic body color, and other distinctive elements.

The interior includes a 4.2-inch Thin Film Transistor (TFT) color multi-information display. The hybrids includes a special seat fabric and an exclusive interior panel design (center console / shift lever housing), artificial-leather instrument panel and upper door trim, and a shift stick knob with blue-accented leather cover.

Like the c, the NiMH traction battery is placed under the rear seat allowing a full trunk.

Suspension tuning was adjusted to accommodate the increased weight and lower center of gravity of the hybrid system. Additional sound insulation material and noise-reducing windshield glass reduces exterior noise intrusion.

Also standard is a Vehicle Proximity Notification System designed to warn pedestrians of the approach of a hybrid car, and the Hill-start Assist Control function that is designed to prevent the vehicle from rolling backwards, thereby providing peace of mind when starting up the vehicle on a steep hill.

Along with Toyota’s STAR safety system, the Corolla Hybrid can be equipped with automatic high beams, automatic anti-glare rearview mirrors, and projector-type headlights.

Will we receive one? Eventually and if so, it would surely arrive with the base 1.8L equipped in the standard Prius liftback. Given the higher Cd, it will also have a lower fuel economy rating of maybe 48 mpgUS combined. Like all Prius’, that will be easy to achieve as well.

2. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

I always hoped Toyota would fill that space between the Prius and the Camry Hybrid.

There is always that segment of the market that will never by a hybrid looking car like the Prius so a Corolla with Prius mileage numbers is a win win for Toyota.

3. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

Looks like a Mercury in the picture? Surprised they didn't use the 2014 Corolla body style?

4. RichXKU

RichXKU Well-Known Member

Ah good. the 1.5 was already pretty taxed in the previous gen liftback. At least for american highway use.

5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Well, Prius is really C/D, so I'd expect a Corolla Hybrid to be between c and Prius. Like the Auris Hybrid is in the EU, local manufacturing and hybrid assembly should keep the price down.

Now, all I can see about the new Corolla at the moment is curb weight "under 2, 900lbs", so hybridization might add some weight and make it close to the Prius in weight and with inferior aero. It's not going to m atch the liftback, so my hope would be that they'd position it as a low-cost hybrid option, maybe using the cut-down c system.

6. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

It had better be "a low-cost hybrid option," because I don't see any other good reason to buy it instead of a real Prius. It might be a bit weighty for the c drive system.

7. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I think they should price it at just around the same as a Liftback , so as not to cannibalize sales. The 1.5 engine and HSD system from the c should suffice for the grandpa's that typically buy the Corolla. Maybe $1000 less than the Liftback if they could use the 1.5.

I actually don't think it's necessary , but apparently some people like sedans.

8. 300kmileprius

300kmileprius Well-Known Member

JC-08 about as accurate as a child's fairytale.

9. Die2self

Die2self Saving more by using less!

I don't see why more auto makers are not bring more compact/sub compact cars with a hybrid system.

Personality I do't think a car should be sold anymore without a hybrid system unless it is all electric. We need to get away from just gas/desiel vehicles. This could be the only way to get people to buy hybrids in mass is to eliminate all bad choices.

If the public wants a pure gas car then they should pay extra like a luxury tax on it.

10. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

The JC08 is VERY accurate rating under full hypermiling!

11. EdwinTheMagnificent

I know I'd be thrilled beyond belief to match the JC08. I'm not even sure what it is for my car.

I'd bet I could hit it in a Prius c.

12. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

At the moment on Prius Chat a C has 1st place with 99.9MPG and went 501.1m. I don't know how much more his real MPGs were?

13. xcel

Hi PriusCpilot:

I would suspect the c to be worth about 120 mpg over a tank as it should best the 109 we did in the Prius hatch back in 05. The Corolla will never make that however as it is far to hevy for the heavily atkinsonized 1.5L out of the c and less aerodynamic than the second generation hatch.

Wayne

14. EdwinTheMagnificent

I'm failing to see how Toyota will be able to fit a Corolla Hybrid in their North American lineup. Every new hybrid they offer will be compared to the Prius family anyway.

I'm certainly not a marketing genius, but I'd like to see the Auris Hybrid sold here instead.

15. xcel

Hi Edwin:

Toyota will not be selling the Corolla Hybrid here just yet and it is for exactly the reason you pointed out.

The Prius (base price of $24,200 USD) was derived from the Corolla (base price of $16,230 USD) platform. The profit margin between the two is not even close. It is also another reason why I suspect the 1.5L was installed in Japan vs. the 1.8L even though the 1.8L is a drop in. To differentiate the price/performance even through they are essentially the same platform.

Wayne

16. xcel

Hi All:

On Thursday Toyota announced that it will begin exporting U.S.-built Corolla sedans to 18 countries in Latin America and the Caribbean in 2014. These shipments are expected to build upon Toyota’s all-time record export of more than 124,000 U.S.-assembled vehicles to 21 global markets in 2012, an increase of 45 percent over the prior year.

Once production begins in April 2014, Toyota expects to export more than 7,500 Corolla sedans to Latin America and the Caribbean during the first year of sales. These vehicles will be built at the company’s Tupelo, Miss. plant, which employs about 2,000 team members and represents an $800 million investment.

Wayne