Hello from Austin,TX Driving 09 F150 Crew

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by jeffak91, Aug 6, 2013.

1. jeffak91

jeffak91 New Member

Hello,

I live outside Austin, TX and drive a 09 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4.6L V8. I used to be a lead foot driver, but not anymore. Currently, I only practice coasting to stops, driving 45-55 mph, and slower accelerations. My commute is about 50 miles roundtrip to work with hills and some stop lights. Speed limits are between 50-60mph. I have only seen an increase from about 17.5mpg to 18.5mpg. Most of your test are with gas saving cars. I can't afford to get a second car or even get rid of my truck. Do you have some tips for truck drivers!? Any article links would be great too!

Thanks! Love this site!
    Jeff

2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to CleanMPG. "In whatever you drive", says the motto.

Is your transmission manual or automatic?

I don't have a pick-up, so I can't give specific advice but:
    - in any heavy vehicle it's particularly important to keep momentum and use it. So, the set of techniques in Driving Withou Brakes is invaluable: light timing, smart braking, threading the needle, N-glides to stop (although some pick-ups can coast very well, right?) and route selection to avoid stops.
    - With any boxy vehicle the poor aerodynamics hurt at higher speeds. So, keeping your speed down is good. Also, I believe rear up and cover on helps the aero a bit. You can get more aerodynamic covers but I don't know how much it helps.
    - Any large-engined vehicle is going to be thirsty: avoiding idling helps eliminate some waste, and then you want to keep the rpm down, but running in a high gear. This is where the question of your trans is important. Slushbox automatics are inefficient in low gear and unlocked, so when accelerating up to a cruising speed you want moderate, not slow acceleration, while manual transmissions are efficient so generally allow for early shifts and slower acceleration.

Read the CleanMPG Primer, which will describe the various hypermiling techniques.

3. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

Another thing to look at is your tire pressure. It may be time to pump them up. Heavy vehicles like these really need to be pressed up in order to cut down on rolling resistance. I used to own a an '04 Ram 2500 gasser that I was able to squeeze out 18-19 mpgs out of. I would think you should be able to pull more from that half ton with just a few more driver modifications.

Now that I think of it, what type of tires are you running? Is is the standard OEM type or a larger, more aggressive one?

4. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Welcome from another Texan!

The others have covered things pretty well. Austin is not an easy area for fuel efficient driving - too much traffic! Tire pressure, no idling, anticipation, coasting, bed cover, etc.

Still, you're at +6% mpg already. That's 0.3 gallons saved per 100 miles. To save that much in a 50 mpg Prius, you'd have to go all the way up to 60 mpg! Your improvement may look small, but you're saving a lot.