2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by bw61374, Aug 6, 2013.

1. bw61374

bw61374 Active Member

Hello to all. We're new to this site. Are taking delivery of a 2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, Thursday, 8-8-13 (ScanGuage II on order). We know that this car package is not the same as the one that did the 77.99 MPG, 8000 miles test drive but we are hoping with a more aware thinking and better driving habits we can achieve far better mileage. Our last auto was a 2008 Saturn Outlook XR. After all, DIESEL, here in Brookings, OR is $4 a gallon.

Hoping to hear any and all suggestions and directions to achieve better driving habits and more efficient motoring.

Thank you,
    Bruce
    Brookings, OR

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  2. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

Hello bw61374- Looking forward to hearing how well your new purchase performs in the FE area as well as mechanical issues in the future. H

3. bw61374

bw61374 Active Member

Thank you H for the reply. I've got a question, if I'm asking it in the wrong place please advise.. The Passat that I'm getting has Continental ContiPro All Season (18") tires. I tried to get the dealer to trade them for the same ones that the Passat used for the 8000 miles test drive, Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Tech but they wouldn't. Wouldn't even credit me for the tires if I had them put the PureContact tires on. Does anyone know why dealers shy away from Continental ContiPro? The reviews I see on the internet sure aren't too good. Plus I just found out that any mileage warranty for tires does not include ORIGINAL TIRES on NEW AUTO. How's that for a shocker??
    Bruce

4. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

For starters Bruce, pump tires to the max cold setting shown on the side of the tire. Do this in the morning when tires are cold. This will give you better FE. I cannot comment on the brand or the tire size! I prefer a narrow tread design myself. Good luck, H

5. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

This should be a great car, Bruce ! Let me know how you like the operation of the transmission , some people have said it has some "less-than-perfectly-smooth" moments.

Also , be aware of the fuel you are using. Many places in OR may offer bio-diesel up to B20.
    VW may recommend only B5 for your car. Check your manual for the correct answer , I'm not sure.

Regarding the OEM tires , even helpful and cooperative dealers may not want the trouble of swapping out tires ( and then finding a buyer for the old tires) . My advice : wear them out and then look for a good LRR replacement. That's what I'm trying to do on my 08 Civic.
    But I only have about 68K miles , so I have another year or so left on these.

6. bw61374

bw61374 Active Member

Thank you both for your reply. Regarding the tire pressure, H, this car has Tire Pressure Monitoring System, (TPMS), and according to the Passat Quick-Start Guide that I have, it says, very clearly, "inflate your tires to those specifications, not to the numbers on your tires." Dare I ask VW?

Regarding the DIESEL at filling stations, EdwinTheMagnificent. I'll go over today and check out my local one. As for the OWNERS MANUAL, I don't get that till I get the car. I did ask for it, but! It was a Sunday, the MANUAL was in the Service Department, and, and...

Like I say, thank you both for taking the time to reply, and your valuable suggestions. Yeah verily!

One other question, how do you SIGN-OUT from this website? I found out how to sign-in, but can't find the OUT button.

Bruce
    Brookings, OR

7. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

Right above this thread on the right hand side is the LOG OUT tab.

8. bw61374

bw61374 Active Member

EUREKA! I have found it. Had it been a snake, eh? I think I saw log and thought mileage log... Thank you Prozac.

Bruce

9. EdwinTheMagnificent

I usually just stay logged in.

As far as tire pressure , it's possible that some TPMS ( tire pressure monitoring systems) will flash some kind of warning if you go OVER a certain pressure. The TPMS in my Honda only indicates if it is low relative to ??? There are long threads in Cleanmpg about tire pressure. Wayne Gerdes has lots of good advice on this subject. I can't tell you what pressure to run , but I'm right at sidewall pressure during the summer , maybe 4-5 psi less if there is a chance of snow. But if you want to maximize your glides (and I assume you do) you will sure notice the difference between 32 and 42 psi.

Just for funsies , see what your VW dealer says about this.

10. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Super Moderator

Mine doesn't go off, and my pressure is set to 42. You won't be getting the numbers Wayne posted only because you have the DSG. Edwin is right, and he hits on one of the keys to maximizing economy-glides. The higher your pressure, the longer you can glide. You need to be in neutral to avoid engine braking if you are going to glide. When you get to a point you need to slow down, go back into drive. The reason being, and you can watch the MFD, when the car engine brakes and you are not touching the accelerator (oil pedal?), the engine cuts off fuel entirely-that's why the SG shows you getting 9999 MPG. This is the reason I can get 40+ MPG in city driving.

11. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

Bruce,

Not a problem. Thankfully, I have a great wife that finds most everything else, lol.

12. EdwinTheMagnificent

Thunderstruck , we should remember that many people buy an automagical transmission car because they DON'T want to "fiddle" with the shifter. Also , I've heard that some dual-clutch transmissions act kind of funny when going from neutral back to drive.

My Honda doesn't care at all about going from neutral to drive , any speed.
    No rev-matching required.

13. bw61374

bw61374 Active Member

Alright, first ride in our new PASSAT TDI SEL... Wow! This car has more electronic intelligence that its owners. First thing this morning, I'm going to get air in the tires... Then, gonna sit down and try to get the SCII installed. Then of course, gonna go to the filling station and add air. What is on the side wall of the tire, COLD PRESSURE. Thank you every one for being so helpful and for sharing your knowledge and experience. Wow, what a group. One thing for sure, we sure let the dealership know how displeased we were that they would not meet us half way about exchanging those tires. Our salesman just schrugged his shoulders. When he did that, I reminded him that driving 160 miles to buy a car is no difference that driving 194 miles to go to the other dealer. And if anyone asks me about this dealership that is what I will tell people! Is that called, "word of mouth advertisement?" Be well everyone... now I face the SCII challenge. Plus reading up on the car!

14. bw61374

bw61374 Active Member

Just came in from the car. There is NO MAX COLD PRESSURE on my tires. I have the Continental ContiProContact, 18". There is a MAX PRESSURE 51PSI, but nothing referring to COLD PRESSURE. Am I looking in the right place? Help please?

Bruce

15. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Yes, you're looking in the right place. The 51 psi means when "cold" (i.e., at ambient temperature). It allows for the fact that pressure will increase in motion.

16. bw61374

bw61374 Active Member

Thank you RedylC94:

Is that the pressure I should have the tires at? I brought them up to 40 psi this morning early, cool ambient. 51 psi, that seem high, wow.

Bruce

17. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Super Moderator

Remind the salesman you will be filling out the customer satisfaction survey when it comes. They are absolutely scared to death of getting anything lesson a 10.

18. bw61374

bw61374 Active Member

You're absolutely correct. He mentioned it to us just as we were leaving yesterday. And, he mentioned the "10s" like you said. Yes, indeedy, no tires, no 10s! Thank you for bringing that to my attention. Son-of-a-gun!

Bruce

19. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice buy!
    I've currently running at 60psi on the front and 55psi on the back in my 2.2 diesel.
    Keep putting them up 3psi at a time until you can't cope with the NVH noise/vibration/hardness.
    Max sidewall on my tires is 51psi

20. bw61374

bw61374 Active Member

Wow, 60 and 55! Now you say your "Max sidewall in 51psi," I have "Max Inflation 51PSI" on these tires, is that the same? Now your 2.2 diesel, is that VW? Too, I see at the bottom of your reply data. Is that like what you're getting in your auto, the 50.9, the 52.7, 53.4, and, and? If its what I think it is.... you're doing fantastic! Thank you for the reply. As I had posted earlier, I have just increased my tire pressure up from 35psi to 40psi. Now with your suggestion, I can look to moving that up. Like you suggest bit by bit.

Bruce