Level 2 charge station install at home for free!!

Discussion in 'General' started by TheStepChild, Jul 12, 2013.

1. My electric company is offering up to $2500 rebate check towards a level 2 charge station install at home. You can buy it and setup install with a contractor, mail in papers to get the rebate. Or, they have partnered with Bosch to handle the paper work, bill them directly, and set up install - so up to $2500 and no money out of my pocket!!:)

Best I can tell right now, these are my choices for the station:
    http://www.pluginnow.com/charging_stations

I want to keep the install as close to (or under) $2500 as possible. Bosch rep said on the phone that wont be an issue.

Brief rundown of my home setup: Power line is overhead and comes into meter on driveway side of house. Breaker box is in basement almost directly below meter. Meter is less than 10 feet from driveway.
    I also have a detached barn/garage. I forget what wire I ran out there when I put electricity in, but I know its rated for 60 amp and can be 220. Right now I have a 30 amp 110 circuit and 2 15 amp circuits off the box in garage. All I really need out there is one 15 amp circuit for some lights and misc small tools, or a space heater.

They can also set us up with an on peak/off peak rates (for the car and the whole house):

Pricing Table - Schedule of On-peak and Off-peak hours

The following schedule applies to Monday through Friday (except holidays designated by Consumers Energy). Weekends and holidays are off-peak. Other charges may apply.

Summer (June - September) Times Cost per kWh
    (approximately)
    Off-Peak Hours 11 p.m. - 7 a.m. 9 cents
    Mid-Peak Hours 7 a.m. - 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. - 11 p.m. 15 cents
    On-Peak Hours 2 p.m. - 6 p.m. 22 cents

Winter (October - May)

Off-Peak Hours 11 p.m. - 7 a.m. 9 cents
    On-Peak Hours 7 a.m. - 11 p.m. 13 cents

Looks like all the rates are lower than what we pay now, except for the Summer On-Peak rate of 2pm-6pm. I think we'd do better on this plan above, but the Agent is already getting stressed about higher rate for 4 hours a day 4 months out of the year.

Edit. Reread our current rates. Summer rates all day - 7am to 11pm mon-fri will be higher. I signed us up anyway. I think it will save us some money and if not, we aren't locked into the plan.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Sweet. Looks like it is getting more and more convenient to own an EV.

3. These new electricity rates got me thinking, (usually a bad thing)
    Is it worth it to put something like the clothes washer on a timer, so we can set it and forget it? Load it up, and it won't start until after 11 pm when rates are cheaper. I'm a early to bed, early to rise kinda guy. Would be up early enough to throw the clothes in the elec dryer and have them done before 7am.

Or am I over thinking/stressing about it already.