hello from la! excited to be here:)

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by 94_2300inLa, Jul 7, 2013.

1. 94_2300inLa

94_2300inLa Member

Hello everyone!

I found this site trying to get the best FE for a 94 mazda 2300 2wd 5sp that I drive to work.

Ive started doing basic matinence for better Fe.

Ive done oil, coolant, plugs and wires. Serpentine and timine belt are next them maybe coil packs and exhaust. Im curious about the o2 sensors. If they would help with fe.

Ive been reading some but id like to know all the everything possible to get the best fe.

Anyone can point me in the right direction, id appericate it. Like aerodynamics, driving techniques. Ive started coasting since finding the forum. I never realized how far these little trucks coast.

Thanks yall
    Brian

2. Welcome to the forum!

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to CleanMPG.

Start with the CleanMPG Primer which explains all the available techniques.

I'd suggest focusing first on "anticipatory focus" and buffering. Done right, it gives you time and space to respond to traffic around you, allowing you to act early instead of react late and as a result it helps reduce wasteful braking and acceleration, allowing you to maintain momentum.

To add to that I'll say:
    - No need to rush up to red lights. If you give them time they might turn green. If there are cars at the lights it can take about 2 seconds per car for each to get moving.
    - No need to rush up to yields. A yield without a gap in traffic (including pedestrians!) is a stop, a yield with a gap is a go.

Hopefully, just by emphasizing the focus and buffering and being reminded of the hints above you'll make significant fuel economy gains (and be safer!), and once you're focusing and buffering automatically you can then work on specific hypermiling techniques.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  4. 94_2300inLa

94_2300inLa Member

Thanks everyone! I found some answers to the questions I asked.

Im curious I should change coil packs and o2 ,sensors sensors. If they help the Fe. And a new exhaust kit wit. Custom or bg on I buy a kit. Im sure

5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Given the view here that fixing the nut behind the wheel is the best way to improve fuel economy, I think people here would ask whether the car is performing OK without those changes? If it ain't broke, don't spend the money to fix it.

6. 94_2300inLa

94_2300inLa Member

I opted to clean them verse buying new. I want to block the front grill and add some kind of front bimper valance. Thanks for the reply though. I have been trying to weigh money in mods vs fuel I could be buying.

Also I do a lot of 50-55mph which is extremely slow for me, but I just find myself cruising there. So im trying, plus tons of coasting. Sorry for the ramble.

7. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

You're working on changing the way you drive , which is something most people would never even consider. Keep up the good work.

8. 94_2300inLa

94_2300inLa Member

Really love coasting or gliding, not sure which I do but just put it in neutral and try no to use the brakes. Which is hard not to. But I try to tell myself if I uae them I did something wrong.

Still try to figure out how to build a nice grill block. Been reading lots on on aerodynamics.

Wish the scan gauge worked for my truck. Is their any other option similar?

Thanks
    Brian

9. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Lots of people , including myself , have used foam pipe insulation , which is readily available from Menard's,HomeDepot, etc. Try to pick a size that will give a snug fit without breaking the plastic parts of your grille. Also , be sure to monitor your coolant temperature to make sure you don't overheat.

Not sure about that. Perhaps some other members with pre-1996 vehicles can suggest something.

10. 94_2300inLa

94_2300inLa Member

Yes I uses foam and full grill block and it doesn't like long trips in south la heat. But removing 2 helps.

Thinking my tstat is stuck shut. Awe more work.

And a side note we re care shopping, the 2012 nissan quest isn't cutting it at 16mpg. Looked at mx-5 a today but ol lady like the cr-z. Any opinions?

Wanted to looked a ford fusion hybrid but no one had one.