Help Me Choose Tires Too

Discussion in 'General' started by pressingonalways, Jul 5, 2013.

?

Which tire should I get?

1. Bridgestone Ecopia EP422

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Continental ContiProContact

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Hankook Optimo H426

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Michelin Primacy MXM4

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Hi all,

I'm looking to get LRR tires for my elantra touring 2012. I need to be getting 215/45/17 tires... I'd love to hear everyone's opinions on the LRR tires that are available for my car.

Bridgestone Ecopia EP422
    Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS
    Continental ContiProContact
    Hankook Optimo H426
    Michelin Primacy MXM4 - GreenX
    Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max

Please let me know what you think about the tires especially in terms of fuel economy, handling (wet/dry), noise, and longevity (my most important factors). My current runner-ups are the MXM4, ecopia, then the fuel max, but that is only from reading reviews on other sites and reading the tirerack blog on LRR tires.

I'd love to get some feedback from people who actually tried these tires.

Thanks!

2. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

Well to start I'm a Michelin snob. I've had pretty much had most tire brands out there on my vehicle over the last thirty years or so and I always come back to Michelin. My Volvo has the MXV+4 Energy on it and I just installed A/S Energy Savers on my Prius.

The Michelin's seem to last longer and are much quieter than most of the other tires I've had in the past.

3. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

In my experience the GY Fuelmax are quieter than Michelin Symmetry. Not sure how the other Michelins compare. I'm a fan of both. The Fuelmax's wore a little faster than expected, but still lasted 50,000 miles on the family van. The OEM Symmetrys lasted 60, for comparison.

Fuelmax - good mileage, smooth and quiet, decent handling once the pressure is up (51 psi max), acceptable wet performance.

4. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I'm a fan of Michelin as well. I have their tires on almost all of my vehicles. They cost a little more, but they're quieter and last longer than other tires. I'd stay away from the Continentals. The LRR Continentals that came on my FEH were the absolute noisiest tires I ever had. I hated them with a passion.

5. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

I like G/Y Fuel Max. They perform well with any pressure you like . Makes very little difference between 35 to 60 lbs. as far as fe goes. I don't find this so much with other makes! Hal

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi oressing, can you okease edit your profile and put your location and vehicle information. It helps us give advice.

My wife has Primacy on her Civic, I think she's ok with the comfort aspect but not so much with performance.
    I have FuelMax on my Prius. Not so great in the wet, but nothing scary for me. But, we are snow, rain, dry. Not much slushy drivinghere.. Fine in the dry and a pleasant surorise in the 40 pressure in the snow.

7. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

In my experience, the Ecopia's are quieter than the Fuel Max. We have 35,000 on the Fuel Max. My daughter drove it this week and texted me to ask why the Prius sounded like an air plane taking off. :eek: We traded the 08 Prius in that had the Ecopia's on it. They had about 30,000 miles and were much quieter. Both tires have ran 60 psi since new.

8. Hmm.. I don't know what happened, I thought I put the info in my profile before, maybe it was for a different forum! Anyways, I added it to my profile, but I'll repeat the info here... I drive a Hyundai Elantra Touring 2012 AT. The LRR tires I listed in the poll is the LRR tires available for my car according to tirerack.com. I usually drive around the NYC area.

9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for editing your profile. Now you don't need to give significant details about your vehicle or location again. :) (Circumstances change so you can include it, but the profile keeps it to once per thread in multi-page threads).

Do you switch tires in winter? Looking at NYC and surrounding climate winter roads could be nasty. The choice of tires would depend on whether you need all-weather and what all-weather means.

10. I don't switch tires in winter. If conditions get bad, I generally don't drive or I wait until the snow plows get out and clear some snow. All weather to me would generally mean wet/dry/light snow.

Thanks everyone for your input so far.

11. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

I find the G/Y Fuel Max are great in snow ,and for that matter on ice. I left mine on all winter last year. I found them better than my snow tires! H

12. FSUspectra

FSUspectra Practicing true conservatism!

FWIW, I love my Ecopia EP 422s. but I have zero winter experience with them.