2014 Honda Accord Hybrid Release Is Approaching

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Jul 1, 2013.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Honda reiterates its intent to provide the segments highest fuel economy rating.

[​IMG]Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - June 30, 2013

2014 Honda Accord Hybrid – As posted this past January, Honda reiterates a possible 49/45/47 mpgUS city/hwy/combined rating and its scheduled to reach dealership showrooms this October. Depending on final pricing, this could be the hybrid to purchase later this year.

Both the Accord HEV and PHEV use Honda’s new Atkinsonized 2.0L i-VTEC I4 engine working in conjunction with a 124 KW traction electric motor and a 105-KW electric motor to charge the pack and possibly control the engine and vehicle speed depending on the architecture.

The two-motor SPORT HYBRID Intelligent Multi Mode Drive powertrain in the Accord Hybrid allows the vehicle to move through three different driving modes – EV, Hybrid and straight up Engine on mode(s) to optimize fuel efficiency.

In 'EV Drive', the Accord Hybrid uses the Li-Ion battery to run in electric-only mode at lower speeds. In medium to high speed cruising, 'Engine Drive' sends the engine power directly to the front wheels. In 'Hybrid Drive,' the 124-kilowatt (kW) electric motor and Atkinson-cycle I4 blend together for good acceleration while allowing for efficient driving in stop-and-go traffic.

Inside, the Accord Hybrid's well-appointed and intuitive layout provides the driver with instant fuel economy (iFCD) and energy flow information for efficient driving performance. Along with innovative new features such as Honda's LaneWatch blind-spot display, an industry-first that debuted on the Accord last fall, other available features on the 2014 Accord Hybrid include Lane Departure Warning (LDW) and Forward Collision Warning (FCW), an 8-inch color i-MID display, perforated leather-trimmed seating surfaces, cloud-based HondaLink featuring Aha compatibility, seven-speaker audio system with Bluetooth® streaming audio, Pandora interface and XM Radio, and a multi-angle rearview camera with guidelines.

2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

[​IMG]
    Fully loaded and a lot of eye candy within the displays of this one.​

The 2014 Accord Hybrid features the same next-generation Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE-II) body structure as the 2013 Accord, along with Honda's new SmartVent front-side airbags. Like the 2013 Accord, the 2014 Accord Hybrid is expected to earn top safety ratings including an NCAP 5-Star Overall Vehicle Score and a TOP SAFETY PICK+ rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). You know, the one with that horrific small overlap now included.

[​IMG]
    A lot more main stream and less “out there” than the 2014 Accord PHEV. Thank you Honda for toning it down a touch.​

Honda's second attempt at making a hybrid for the midsize segment is almost sure to be a hit with the new full hybrid architecture inside ;)

The 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid is going to be built alongside the award winning 2013/2014 Honda Accord at Honda’s Marysville, Ohio facility.

2. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

Only problem I see is that Honda has damaged their reputation by not standing behind the Civic hybrids and fixing them right. Even if they learned from the Civic, and made a reliable vehicle, the fact that they did everything possible to delay fixing the Civics until they were out of warranty disturbs me.

3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

As a long-time owner of Honda cars and motorcycles , I'm aware of the problems and public perception of Honda hybrids. But I have a lot of faith in their willingness and ability to get it right (eventually).
    I think this car could be a home run.

4. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

Toyota (recalls), Hyundai (mpg claims) all had issues as well.

Honda has been more careful with mpg EPA ratings so maybe it will do relatively better than for example Ford latest hybrids. For some reason no one tested the Accord PHEV on mpg in hybrid mode which would have given some idea what to expect.

Some data compared to Camry & Fusion Hybrids:
    - Fuel tank is 15.9 cu ft. Camry is 17 and Fusion is only 13.5 (plus lower real world mpg).
    - Cargo: rated at 381 liters which is about 15% less than Camry but not sure how that would translate to US cu ft (probably similar to Fusion).
    - Rear-seats: do not fold and no pass through either unfortunately.
    - IIHS small overlap test: expected to be good, while Fusion had acceptable and Camry poor. I hope Toyota fixes this safety issue, so far not any Toyota model achieved better than poor including the Lexus ES.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

Yes.

Compounding engineering mistakes with a circled-wagons corporate culture does not bring in the customers. If any good's to come of the mess, personally, it's that it's woken me up to the danger of dogmatic brand loyalty.

Right now I wouldn't care if the dang thing was 100% solar powered, LOL.

If their new technology catches on, if it proves reliable, and if they deal promptly and responsibly with the (inevitable) problems that arise... Ah, by that time we'll be retired and on transit anyway.

6. chilimac02

chilimac02 Bible Professor & Minister

Though the Camry is not as safe, I think I'd pick it right now. It will probably be competitively priced. Honda peaked in the late 90s - early 2000s. Those cars are still on the road. The newer ones just haven't inspired people like the older ones did.

I'd even think of a Hyundai now - it's almost the "new" Honda.

7. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

You get good deal with Camry hybrid since they have been ramping up incentives to keep it the sales leader. Most likely Honda Accord will be bit more expensive.

Looking at IIHS report gives me pause buying a Toyota right now because I think they'll address this issue next model year or soon after. The results are quite shocking (to be fair so was Audi and Mercedes vehicles):

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=1751&seriesid=291

But Toyota also lost me with decreasing quality. I had Camry as a rental car for 2 weeks and was shocked at the cost cutting compared to previous Toyota's I owned (paper thin headliner and plastic screws on front bumper that came loose?). Granted Toyota is not the only one but for market sales leader I expected more.

Hyundai is like Toyota/Honda was in the past. Taking more design risks and trying to be step ahead of competition by offering more features in cheaper models. But their hybrid I think need another generation before it can compete in FE. The '13 refresh is good start but they need another iteration.

In the end I can name issues with every brand. I find Honda very reliable and great residual values and top safety ratings. But I do feel they're 1 step behind competition in design & features (still not any Honda with cross traffic alert, pano roof or high res Nav system).

8. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

My friend that bought the Sonata 2 years ago said the exact same thing.

9. EdwinTheMagnificent

I've not yet found a need for cross traffic alert, pano roof or high res NAV system.

Also.............WTF is "cross traffic alert" ?

10. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

When you are backing out of a driveway it will warn you if someone coming from the side. Hey, why have to pay attention anymore?

When will they stop with the Piano Black. It scratches too easy and then looks like crap for the rest of the time you own the vehicle. Stop already!

11. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

It's perception as well. Offering options 5 years or more after competition doesn't look good especially with safety features. Cross traffic alert could save lives: if a child would be running from the side while you're backing up it would be good to detect that. Especially given low visibility of today's cars. If I take the only 1 year old RDX then they don't even offer blind spot or lane departure warning. For some reason new MDX and Accord do but not much else.

Instead of high res Nav system I should say low end smartphone resolution. A $129 Nokia Lumia 825 will give a better display and much nicer map graphics than the brand new Accord or '14 MDX. Sure it still will direct you just perfect from point A to B but it just doesn't feel up to date. Compare that to Audi or BMW navigation systems.

12. Paymaster

Paymaster Well-Known Member

13. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

59 MPG on a 200 mile route sound good. I guess it was on a full charge?

14. xcel

Hi Rick:

The key here is Japan. IIRC, most road PSLs are 25 to 35 mph?

Wayne

15. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

Very similar although I believe lot more lenient with speeding. They do mention:

"We drove the 2014 Accord Hybrid more than 200 miles on a combination of congested city streets and major arterial roads around Tokyo"

MT says key is keeping it in EV mode but this is a hybrid and battery is not huge so without braking that's not an option? They said they got 33% EV time which would be significant. Well that is probably because of congested streets.

They do mess up little bit mpg numbers when comparing to Prius (and they seem to believe Fusion is really 47 mpg). The Prius is 51/48 compared to 49/45 EPA. Close but not really on par as they claim.

I'll pick up in few hours Accord PHEV which I assume is exact same system but bit heavier because of the extra EV battery. So should figure out soon how much I can get from that.

16. xcel

Hi Luke:

I am looking forward to your write-up!!! Given the PHEV is the Hybrid + a few hundred pounds of pack, your results once in charge sustaining mode will be very telling about that model too.

Wayne

17. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

Just picked up Accord at dealership. Pretty impressed so far:). Great handling.

Regarding FE the EV was fully drained showing 0 miles when I left dealership and EV (hybrid) charge showed 2/10 bars. First few miles on highway started at only 41 mpg but then went up to 45 when I exited freeway (pretty hilly and 55-65 mph). Then after about 8 miles of city driving it went up to 54 mpg before I entered the mountain pass. At top of the pass it dropped to 34 mpg but after that I was able to use that B mode which recharged from 2 to 4 bars (and showing 3.5 mile EV range). 5 more miles at 50 mph I finished with 53 mpg and 3 bars. Pretty impressive. On Fusion test drive I didn't I barely got 40 mpg on highway so I don't think I would be able to get that FE.

I noticed when lifting foot off gas it was charging EV (according to display) except when it was slightly up hill. That's even without B mode. Will get better idea this week on FE when I commute. I'm charging it now.

Here are few pictures. The rear seat legroom is pretty big:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. EdwinTheMagnificent

I suspect that Motor Trend is either cherry-picking or the JDM Fcd display toggles between Asian metric(km/l) and Imperial MPG.

Either way , I don't assume too much from what the "enthusiast" magazines report.

But I think the Accord Hybrid could/should be a HUGE success , if they can price it correctly relative to the Camry Hybrid.

19. EdwinTheMagnificent

Wow , my experience with new-car purchases from Honda dealerships indicates that they would usually give you a fully-charged car. Of course, you may have bought the very first PHEV that dealership has sold.

20. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

They sold few before I believe but they had to drive it 250 miles from Santa Barbara since they were not able to locate one in North California. I also noticed that driver only got 35 mpg. I didn't see any charging point at that dealership.

I just charged it fully showing now 12.8 mile range but will see today if I can get little bit more out of that with my 45 mi commute.