hello there

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by bearJW, Jun 24, 2013.

1. bearJW

bearJW New Member

Hi, I'm John...

I drive a 2012 Jetta Sportswagen TDI with the DSG.

According to the trip computer I am just over 38mpg. My commute is from SF to the Palo Alto area, which is roughly 30 miles each way, mostly highway.

I previously had a 2010 Golf TDI with the manual transmission. In that I was just around 41-42.

The two cars (despite the name the JSW is really the Golf wagon, as it's sold everywhere else in the world except the US.) are pretty much the same, and I know the wagon is heavier but I was hoping the mpg drop would not be as much as it is.

The engine at 70mph in the golf would be at 2000 rpm (roughly) and in the JSW it's at 2200 rpm.

Any advice?

2. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the board.

My advice let Wayne get a day or two of rest after setting a new fuel economy world record in a 2013 Jetta TDI and he should be able to answer all your questions. Rule one, drop your speed for the best fuel economy. Oh btw they got 77.99 mpg on there 48 state run of 8122 miles
    You can read about the World Record trip here 2013 VW Passat TDI in its Guinness World Record Attempt

Here is great place to start your journey for better fuel economy, the CleanMPG Primer