Hello from MS

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by nate.l, Jun 24, 2013.

1. nate.l

nate.l New Member

Hello,

My name is Nathaniel. I am 25 years old and live in Mississippi. I have a 100 mile commute to work each day. I just started Hypermiling for cost savings. Any tips for a 2002 Honda Civic LX would be great.

2. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Nate,

Welcome to the board. Here is great place to start your journey into the world of better fuel mileage. CleamMPG Primer

3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Welcome
    I'm next door to you-outside New orleans
    The basic stuff-you will pick up quickly
    Keep speed down-glide up to stops-put a bit of extra air-maybe 40-45psi in tires-but never less than door panel number-and max on tire is probably best for mpg(but gotta balance ride quality comfort -so in between the two is good)
    You have a good car for mpg-in 2002 it would have been a very FE vehicle
    The motor off pulse and glide-is not something I do with my old Suburban-it is kinda tricky-you can get very good mpg without doing that-don't think that is necessary to be a hyper miler.Less committed techniques can easily get you 120% of EPA- heck in hy driving just a few extra psi-and setting the CC to 58mph will get 120% of EPA HY if you drive with load when needed-and anticipate slow downs and stops-get off gas

Staying off the brakes and keeping hy speed reasonable are key to mpg.Read that stuff ALS indicated-it has it all (scan gauge is very helpful when you have the $$)
    Charlie

4. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Right!

Driving exactly like the EPA specified for its highway test for a 2002 will get you 128% of the original advertised highway mpg (and an even higher percentage of the revised highway number that's supposed to reflect the newer, tougher tests).

5. nate.l

nate.l New Member

I have my tires at 44psi (sidewall max). I am fixing to service my ride (oil change {0-w20}, plugs, clean throttle body, etc.). I don't have a scan gauge yet. I am fixing to pickup an ultra gauge to try. If I don't like it I can always use it in my wifes ride. My friend has a SCII. I like it but that is a little more than I want to spend at this point. I want to spend a few dollars on my car (maintance, etc).

I have been doing DWL, DWB and under 60 regiously. I also started paying more attention to catching green lights on a roll so I don't have to stop instead of trying to beat everyone through the light. I used to be a lead foot but am enjoying the thought of potiental savings. I have tried some NICE-ON and a few FAS sessions. I have figured out I can coast the last mile of my trip with ICE off and roll into my drive way at 20mph. The first time I told my wife she didn't believe me. It is amazing what just changing a few habits can do.

Anybody have any Civic specific tips?

6. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Nathaniel , I have an 08 Civic 5AT , and my owner's manual says *don't* do engine-off coasting (they call it flat-towing) at speeds more than 35 MPH. When Honda talks , I listen.
    Check your manual to be safe.

When I drive a manual trans car , I do more engine-off coasting (P&G) , but in my automatic car , I mostly use DWL and N-ICE-on coasting.

But it sounds like you're on the right track.

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi nate, can you please update your profile to include your vehicle and transmission type and your location (approximate is enough)?

Those are very important for getting the right advice. You haven't explicitly mentioned your transmission type and there are very different approaches.

You seem to be on the right track. Like Edwin I have a 2008 Civic LX AT. I don't drive it much (it's my wife's commuter), but my best results (2 44mpg tanks in dry spring weather) came with heavy use of DWL, NICE-ON, and some DWB (NICE-ON glide to final stop, light timing/smart braking and threading the needle (at yields)).

If you have an AT:
    Keep that torque converter locked!
    - In my Civic it's fairly tolerant considering the undulations.
    - With torque converter locked in top gear there's a fixed rpm:speed ratio. It's 1,500:45, 2,000:60 so 33 1/3:1. This is how you know you're in lock.
    - From recollection it seems it can maintain lock at speeds down to 35mph as long as it's on a steady roll, but when you're accelerating it doesn't seem keen to lock until you reach a higher speed, say 45mph.
    - There's some wiggle room on the gas, so once locked you can still accelerate gradually on flatter roads. So, depending on your commute's highway traffic, you might be able to merge at a relatively low speed, and then gradually raise speed.
    - If you're dealing with hills, the car should allow some fall of speed before unlocking and downshifting, but it's often a good idea to gain a little speed ahead of a longer/steeper hill to help avoid the unlock or at least maintain it as long as possible. Once it releases, you just have to accept it until you crest. There really isn't much you can do about those longer hills: ATs operate on the assumption that if your foot is on the gas pedal you're either accelerating or trying to maintain speed so gas + falling speed causes unlock/downshift.