The 3-millionth mile of Irv Gordon’s ’66 Volvo P1800 rolls into view

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by JohnM, Jun 23, 2013.

1. JohnM

JohnM Well-Known Member

By now, Irv Gordon's 1966 Volvo P1800 coupe has become the stuff of legend. Certified by the Guinness Book of World Records as the highest-mileage, one-owner, non-commercial vehicle in the world, Gordon has spent much of the past 47 years behind the wheel. In a few months, Gordon plans to cross three million miles in his Volvo — a distance equal to driving to the moon and back 12.5 times.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/3-millionth-mile-irv-gordon-66-volvo-p1800-195116553.html

2. twoodcc

twoodcc Well-Known Member

now that is crazy!

3. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

he has to average 63,000 miles a year, whats his nickname iron butt ?

4. SD3_Driver

SD3_Driver Well-Known Member

I just passed 70,000 on the SRT4 and 10,000 on the Fusion, got a long way to go to catch him :);)

5. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Yeah, even I do, with only 592K on my Mazda, which has been getting fewer miles per year lately than it used to go.

I wonder how much difficulty he has obtaining replacements for parts that routinely wear out or otherwise need replacement, such as brakes, water pumps, mufflers, etc.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  6. Unleaded

Unleaded Well-Known Member

In other articles I have read, he say he does not have any problems getting parts for his car. Plus he has had the same mechanic work on his car since he owned it.

He states that he goes 100k miles between tire and brake replacements. :D

7. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member