First drive: The Chevrolet Spark EV shocks us - Consumer Reports

Discussion in 'BEV or Battery Electric Vehicle' started by JohnM, Jun 21, 2013.

1. JohnM

JohnM Well-Known Member

2. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Just $18,000 in CA with the $10,000 TC- is that a federal credit.

This car looks like a winner- better than leaf- 400 lb ft torque- 7.5 0-60 little pocket rocket
    and affordable. $10,000-less than a Volt

3. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

Not only a good deal but a fun car!

4. aca2983

aca2983 Well-Known Member

"400 lb.-ft. of torque"
    Holy cow that must be a hoot.
    Even though CR doesn't car for the gas version, I'm seeing a lot of more of these, and I think in the mini-car class, these make a lot more sense than some of the competitors, for the right buyer- which is admittedly a limited pool.

5. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Yes, but don't forget the one-speed transmission. It won't have as much torque at the wheels as you'd expect in low gear from a conventional car with an engine providing 400 lb-ft. (If it did, there wouldn't be enough traction to harness it.)

6. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that the gearing is under 1:1, so if anything it has more than 400ft/lbs at the wheels.

The gas Spark has 83ft/lbs of torque. The Spark EV is probably awesome to drive. I just hope it has decent rear legroom.

7. phoebeisis

The 7.5 0-60 means it gets plenty of torque-
    and torque curve-hardly curves at all-not like an ICE-
    though the turbo ICE probably pretty flat in some ranges also
    No shifting means quicker acceleration also
    Yeah-this would be a fun car
    Isn't the VOLT reasonably quick 0-60-much quicker than a Leaf or PRIUS?

Now our 2006 Prius feels pretty zippy to me in the 20-50 range-it doesn't feel like a slow car
    We had a MT Chevette-1980-so we KNOW slow cars.

8. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member

You think you know slow cars? Have you ever driven a 1980 VW diesel rabbit? 48HP with a 4 speed manual tranny?
    Now THAT'S a slow car!!! That Chevette had a blistering 70 HP!!! They both weighed around 2000#. The Chevette would have smoked my bunny!
    But the lack of power made for a great winter car. I had a set of studded winter tires on that rabbit and it would go ANYWHERE in the snow.

9. phoebeisis

Blackbelt
    You got me beat-no question the VW diesel-and the little pickup- were STUNNINGLY slow-even in an era with SLOW cars-no turbo-just diesel
    They might have been the slowest of the era
    maybe 22-25 seconds to 60 mph.
    heck wouldn't be surprised if their 0-60 WAS their 1/4 mile time!!

10. RedylC94

Yes, obviously so, but still a lot less at the wheels than a conventional car with a conventional transmission in its lowest gear and 400 ft-lb from the engine.

11. RedylC94

The '77 VW Rabbit diesel I tested made 0-60 in 23.0 seconds with three people aboard, so it might've managed close to 20 seconds with only a driver. Some gasoline cars of the mid-70s weren't much faster. The same Rabbit scored 49 mpg at 60 mph steady-state. Corresponding numbers for the gasoline '77 Rabbit were 13.5 seconds and 31 mpg.

VW used the same 48 hp diesel engine in the late-70s Dasher (aka Passat) which was heavier, thus even slower.

12. I could almost go for one of these.

13. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

My buddy had one of the first Rabbits sold in this area. That 0-60 time felt pretty fast to me.

14. RedylC94

Yes, gasoline Rabbits were quicker than most other small "economy" cars of that era, especially after VW went to fuel injection in '77 (well before Japanese competitors did). That 13.5 second 0-60 I mentioned might've been around 12 with only a driver (vs. 450 pounds) aboard, or even less for people who used more abusive launch techniques.