New Volt

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by rmcmast, Jun 18, 2013.

1. rmcmast

rmcmast Well-Known Member

We brought home a new Volt this weekend! Below is a picture with the C-Max in the background. It has the 2 options we really wanted: The premium trim package for the leather seats, and the backup camera.

On my first work trip I finished with 185mpg, with 40 miles on battery and 15.9 miles on ICE. I used hold mode for about 8 miles of interstate driving each way.

We did have a little excitement coming home Saturday evening. A severe thunderstorm had just gone through and when we got home the power was out for about 5 hours. Nothing like brining that new plug-in home and having no electricity! The winds must have been really strong. There were many large trees uprooted and power lines down.

[​IMG]

2. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Congratulations Rick. I just wish someone would bring out a car like the Volt with 6 or 7 seats!
    Great FE for your commute!

3. Congrats!

Anyone know how much range the elec seats eat up? Let's say a person has a 19 mile one way commute, in the winter runs the butt warmer on high the whole way.

4. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new car Rick! My wife "requires" heated seats. Is this going to be your commuting vehicle now?

The seat heater eats up power, but a short burst on high and you should be able to step it down to low. It has 3 settings. It is more efficient to run the seat heater than the cabin heater. If you switch the climate control from "Eco" to "Comfort" your range decreases significantly. My wife has had the seat heater on with the AC set on 68. I don't waste my breath anymore. When she drives the car, it charges to 36 or 37 miles range. That's what we took off with to got to Indy last Friday and I got 43.9 miles. When we got home, it charged to 42 miles for the last 2 days.

5. Thanks. I don't really need or want heated seats. In the elantra I she her put the seat on high for the duration of whatever trip we're on.

I'll try not to get heated seats. :)

6. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Congrats, Rick! Nice fleet.

7. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

Congrats!! The Volt keeeps catching my eye. I just don't need another car payment.

8. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Nice fleet , indeed. Congrats , Rick !

9. rmcmast

Thanks. We will both use the Volt and the C-Max. I went with a lease so we'll use it as much as we can and when it makes sense. She has shorter trips that can easily be all EV. I'll probably drive it a couple of times a week to work and for shorter trips on weekends. That leaves one or two C-Max trips to work (I can usually work from home 1 or 2 days a week).

She needs air conditioning at a lower temp than I do, but I can't complain about her mileage. When she's not running late she can get 50mpg or better on the C-Max.

10. Paymaster

Paymaster Well-Known Member

How do you like driving the Volt vs the CMAX?

11. rmcmast

I like them both, but the biggest difference with the Volt is that the visibility is not as good. That's one of the great things about the C-Max. Some of it for me is just not being used to a sedan (I had several Escapes before the C-Max). But some of the framing around the windows is larger and I've heard that's one of the reasons for its high safety rating.

Some other things: The Volt is lower and you really have to bend down into it so you don't hit your head. The buttons on the center console will take some getting used to. I took the Volt on a shopping trip last night and I did miss the kick open liftgate.

All that said, the Volt is blast to drive! I'm still figuring things out mileage wise. Before we brought it home I told my wife that I would just slam it in to Sport mode for those shorter trips and go as fast as I want and charge it back up at home. But now that I have it, I'm wanting to get that estimated range after filling the battery up to 50. No racing, for a little while anyway. :)

12. rmcmast

Today was my first work trip on a single charge with the Volt. I had 44.2 miles EV and 13.0 on the ICE (using Hold mode). I only left 4 estimated on the battery when I got home. That would have been 48 miles on a single charge. I feel pretty good about that, especially since i took my normal rural highway and interstate route. Speeds from 50 to 60mph.

I think I can live with 218mpg!

[​IMG]

13. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Now you can adjust your use of hold and do even better. :)

14. rmcmast

This is the end of my second week with the Volt and I'm very impressed with the range I'm getting in EV. I had my first 50 mile estimated range after charging last night!

Yesterday I had a 42 mile trip and 21 miles out and I still had 36 miles estimated range left. It was about 22 miles 2 lane highway and the rest was city driving. There was a pretty stiff tailwind outbound. Into the with on the way way home the battery was dropping pretty fast and I ended up with 9 miles left.

My typical work run is about 44 miles on EV and 12 on the ICE, which shows around 215mpg on the Energy Usage screen for the charge.

First 50 Mile Range Estimate after charging:
    [​IMG]

42.5 mile trip yesterday and had 9 miles left when I got home:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. rmcmast

My wife soloed in the Volt for the first time today and she did great! She left the house for church which a range estimate of 50 miles and arrived back still showing 20 miles estimated range after the 34.4 mile round trip. 20 or so miles is on two lane rural highway and the rest 45mpg and 35mpg roads in town. She used 6.7 kWh so that works out to 5.13 miles per kWh. I've been up to 4.9 a few times but not up to 5.

After 3 weeks the Volt is exceeding my expectations. Even without being able to charge at work I'm at 92.5% EV over 757 miles. My best work trip so far was 56 miles EV and 4 on gas. I did charge at a public L2 for about 15 minutes on the way home that day and got an extra couple of miles range.

16. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

That's terrific, Rick! Please congratulate your
    wife for all of us.

Cheers,
    Bill

17. msirach

Yes! Congrats!

My wife is on a record run. She left with 43 miles range, drove 9.3 miles to work and OnStar shows 36 miles range remaining. I'm guessing that when she comes out, cranks the AC to Hi speed, low degrees and drives 9.3 miles home, there will be about 20 miles remaining. That's her norm.

That's still much better than the Prius. This Volt tank has about 780 miles on it with 205 miles of gas remaining at about 230 mpg showing.

18. rmcmast

Fortunately it was still early in the day or she would have had the AC on for the trip home. She usually does ok on Econ and temp around 73° though.

19. msirach

I was pretty close. She had 21 miles remaining when she got home. 7 miles range to go to work and 15 miles to get home. The PIP would have been a mistake for her.

20. Paymaster

Paymaster Well-Known Member

I have been thinking about one of these as well. I would trade in the C-MAX. A dealer gave me a Volt for a weekend to try. They have a great deal on a demo base model with just over 2000 miles which is a few weeks of driving for me. It's a tough call. The C-MAX has a lot more room and I think overall is nicer and more featured inside. Plus of course it's only 10 months old. There is just something about driving electric though. After the $7500 tax rebate it would only cost me about $1500 plus sales tax(so about $2200 overall) over the trade in amount.

[​IMG]