Hello from Phoenix

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by Wiggy, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Wiggy

Wiggy Member

I am new to the Cleanmpg club. We just moved from 7100' elevation in northern NM to 1500' Phoenix Arizona. Our all wheel drive 2012 Subaru Impreza is not the best car for high FE. We are trying to drive smart while we look at making a smarter decision on a future car.

My other vehicles include a 2002 Tundra 4x4 with lousy mpg, a 99 Miata autox car, and 2 old Suzuki motorcycles that are my daily commuters.

We really like the new Prius and 40mpg and higher economy cars. Phoenix traffic is not a great place to hyper mile, but we are trying hard. Brand new Prius V is scary expensive, so we are looking at older, used options.

Thanks to everyone for the great info. This is an excellent source.

2. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Welcome to CleanMPG!

3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Wiggy welcome

You are right-Prius V is very nice-roomy etc
    but the nearly $30,000 they want-forget it!!
    New and used Corollas-or Focus or Civic are MUCH CHEAPER
    Many folks here downrate Corollas-but you used to be able to buy a new one for as little at $16000 OTD- hard to beat Toyota reliability for that little

Which Suzuki do you have??
    I used to have MANY MC-actually had 11 different 1978-1981 Yamaha SR500's-kickstart 500cc singles-but had a couple of Suzukis also-SV650 and an old two stroke from the 70's
    mainly Yamahas couple of Hondas one Kawi 2 stroke 2 suzukis

Phoenix is HOT- we have driven(and flown) to Flagstaff-from New Orleans stay at La Quinta Flag-but Phoenix-HOT BEYOND BELIEF in the summer!!
    We flew into Phoenix severaL times-stepping out of airport in the summer was like walking into an oven!!
    Charlie

4. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

I can smell flesh burning if motorcyclists ride in Phoenix.

5. FSUspectra

FSUspectra Practicing true conservatism!

Hello, and welcome! :)

6. Unleaded

Unleaded Well-Known Member

Welcome! Good to see another Phoenix member. :woot:

I disagree about Phoenix traffic though. I hypermile just fine on my commute. Once in a while I encounter some jerks who lean on the horn. You will learn to deal with those people.

Good Luck!

7. Wiggy

Wiggy Member

My motorcycles are a 1995 Suzuki DR650 and 2001 DRZ400. My street car is now a 2013 Prius with minimum options (package 2 or trim level 2).

Hoping my Scan guage will arrive soon