C-Max in for Maintenance, MFT Update and Fix for Hands-free Lift Gate

Discussion in 'Ford Hybrids' started by rmcmast, May 25, 2013.

1. rmcmast

rmcmast Well-Known Member

I had to take my C-Max in today for service when the check engine light came on. The code according to the ScanGauge is P0456 (evap emission system leak?). Hopefully it's not too serious. The car seemed to be operating normally. I had to leave the car and they will look at it in the morning.

I found out while I was there that the MFT 3.5.1 upgrade is now available. This will be good news to anyone with a C-Max who has problems with the original version of MFT. Mine goes blank from time to time, or freezes. It also has problems making calls with my iPhone every once in a while. MFT 3.5.1 also has a nice power flow screen overlaid on an image of the car. If your engine is on, it will also list the reason (low charge, engine warm up, etc).

I'm also getting an issue fixed that I have had with my hands-free lift gate. Sometimes (usually when the car is locked) it takes 2 kicks to open instead of 1. Here is the TSB for the fix if anyone else is having this problem:
    TSB 13-5-6 2013 C-MAX Hands Free Liftgate​
    I'll report back with the results.

2. rmcmast

They got all the work done today. There was a Evap leak in the canister valve which they replace. So far so good on the check engine light.

Hands free lift gate seems to work with one kick even when locked, but time will tell for sure. MFT upgraded to V 3.5.1. As expected I needed to re-pair the phones. So far so good, but my issues were sporadic so it will take some time on this too.

Only one downer: I was around 340 miles into a 52.0mpg tank (indicated). Only looks like they put 4 or 5 miles on it testing, but was down to 45.9mpg when I picked it up. They probably had it running for a while in the garage. Oh well ...

3. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

They had to run the engine for a while to make sure the 50-something
    mpg reading wasn't a problem with the car.

Bill

4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Bill:
    Funny :D

Wayne

5. rmcmast

Ha! They were shooting for 47.0mpg but didn't get it turned of soon enough. :)

6. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Rick:

Maybe you should take your C-MAX back in and let them idle it over night so it is really "fixed" :D :D :D

Wayne

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Was the fix for the auto liftgate to not make it painfully slow? I've watched it on the Ford commercial (the open sesame is just an attempt to distract you from the slow opening) and seen it once in a parking lot. I'd be happy to sign a "My own stupid fault" waiver to make it operate at the speed they'd open manually.

8. rmcmast

I'm pretty sure it was only for the issue with it not opening on the first kick. I don't notice any increase in opening speed. To be honest, I hadn't really noticed it being that slow.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

We got our old Civic Hybrid back from the bodyshop once with somewhere around 29 liters per 100 km consumption. I felt ill. ;(

(about 8 miles per US gallon)

10. BillLin

It may not be all that bad if the trip computer was reset just before
    or during the servicing, and the post-service test drive didn't go far.

But I agree... heartbreaking.

Cheers,
    Bill

11. BillLin

I wonder what the fix was... clean off the sensor vs. replace the sensor?

I had some funny mental images of a person flat on the ground and covered
    in groceries after an overly quick hatch opening.

Bill

12. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Right. What matters is the quantity of fuel they wasted, which we don't have enough data to compute.

Once when my car was at the dealership for waranty repair (Yes, a long time ago ... ), I saw the guys leave it idling with the air cleaner off for a long while for no apparent reason. That not only wasted several miles worth of gasoline, but also meant it inhaled a proportionate quantity of atmospheric dust.

13. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

We can be sure some lawyer employed by Ford had the same image, and ruled out overly quick hatch opening.

14. rmcmast

15. rmcmast

I'm workin' hard to make up for the service visit! 31.1 mile trip home tonight:

[​IMG]

16. rhwinger

rhwinger Well-Known Member

Outstanding!

17. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

We test drove a C-Max during a Drive-4-UR-School event and the wife was thoroughly impressed. I was able to pull off 56 mpgs on our 5 mile test loop, but do not know what it work out to if I gave it to the wife. They are definitely a real nice car to drive. Glad everything (except earlier mileage) is working out for you.

18. BillLin

Pretty cool, Rick. Thanks for the TSB link. Don't you wish all that
    ails us could be simply reprogrammed? Someday, there may be
    a (stealth) TSB for C-MAX mileage improvements.

And you're getting some awesome numbers! Well done!

Cheers,
    Bill

19. rmcmast

I'd like to have more control over when the ICE uses some of its power to charge the HV battery. I can only get decent mpg out of the ICE when the SoC is very high. Otherwise instant mpg dives right down to 20mpg or below as soon as the ICE kicks in.

20. rmcmast

My wife and I really like driving the C-Max too. Even with the the problems there have been over the EPA ratings, this is much better than the 2 FEH's I owned before.